Period day

Options
Do I still count calories when I'm on my period

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Why wouldn’t you? Your body is still counting them.

Some women feel better having a maintenance day or days during their period, but that’s up to you.

Even if you go over your calories, you should still log it.
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you still want to lose that 1 or 2lb at the end of the week then yes :)

I know it’s hard being on your period cos u really want all the treats and snacks

Get some low calorie snacks to satisfy your sweet tooth whilst on your period :) xx
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes.

May your cravings be small and your cramps be weak or non-existent.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    If you feel very unwell the day your cycle begins, perhaps you could eat maintenance calories that day?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,617 Member
    Options
    Counting the Calories you consume can take place regardless of whether you are eating at, above, or below your Caloric maintenance level and is an action that can make you more mindful and can provide you with a treasure-trove of information that you can use to fine tune your food intake and manage your weight.

Eating above or below your maintenance level of Calories for an appreciable amount of time is what drives long term changes to your underlying energy reserves.

It is your choice whether you should (try to) eat above, below, or at maintenance during certain times of the month.

There exists some support for the theory that for some women there exists some increase to their TDEE during certain points of their cycle (let's say an increase of 1 to 10%), and even more support for the theory that for many women their appetite and propensity to eat substantially exceeds any such increase in TDEE.

There is nothing wrong with having some built in maintenance days in your weight loss plan.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Of course you should. Why wouldn't you?
  • IAmChubbyButTrying
    Options
    Yeah, sadly

Don’t do what I did and listen to my friend who told me that you burn 500 extra calories on your period. You don’t. I gained weight a lot bc of it
  • TooTiredToKnit
    TooTiredToKnit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lol! You really shouldn't have to, should you? Especially when you get cramps. In fact, cramps should count as exercise, right? I know you're being facetious. But I feel the same way. I also feel that way about logging things I tried and didn't like. :D