Aldi's Sweet Valley Fruit in Juice

Options
I bought these for the first time and I noticed that the size of the tubs were the same as Coles. So I weighed the contents only and discovered that they are the same weight as Coles which is 120g. Aldi's have on their packaging that each tub weighs 125g. So the confusing part is are the calories stated on the pack for 125g or 120g?

Did anyone else noticed the difference in the sizes or have you only ever bought Aldi's diced fruit? Would you say that the calories on the pack are for what the pack contains? I'm thinking it could be. I bought peaches because it's the only one I saw there and the calories are less then Coles.

I went onto Aldi's Facebook page and posted my findings. They sent me to a link to complain so I did. When I hear from Aldi I will post again to let you know what they say.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    If you don't already have a food scale, I highly recommend getting one.

Some brands of fruit tubs have a lot more than what the package says. Also, I find applesauce is consistently less than as marked.
  • celyoneill
    celyoneill Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do have a food scale that's how I know what it actually weighed. Their response was that their scales may differ from the ones we use. But they are going to send off my feedback to the relevant department.

It's no use trying to lose weight without a set of scales or measuring spoons and cups.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,121 Member
    Options
    Your issue is one of how full the container is. If you are weighing what you are consuming, I don't see the issue: just log that amount, according to the calories per 100gr indicated? Or are the calories only indicated for a 'full' container?

In any case, it's fruit: not high calorie and a 5gr discrepancy won't make much of a difference.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I would think there is reasonable leeway allowed in packaging and each tub of either brand is not always exactly the same, 5 g difference seems within this to me.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are from but in the US, 5g underweight for a 125g package would be well within the acceptable limits. The rules are that the weight average of a lot of product must be at or above the declared net weight. That means that individual containers may be more or less than that average. For a package that lists 125g net weight, an individual package could be up to 9g underweight and still be legal. But for the lot average to meet the declared net weight, there would also have to be packages well above the declared net weight. You just got one of the ones at the low end of the range.

I would also agree with Aldi's feedback. The scales used in a food plant are calibrated on a regular basis using certified weights to make sure they are accurate. Kitchen scales are a very usefull tool but they are not perfect (and a lot less expensive). And just curious, when you weighed the contents of your container, did you just dump it out and weigh the difference? Or did you wash the empty cup to remove any residue and dry it completely before getting the empty weight? The later would be closer to how weights would be measured in a food plant.