Activity calories

Options
Hello 😊do you need to eat activity calories? I am at 1200 calories moderately active busy mom of 4 kids. I usually exercise 45-60 min a day either a walk or 21 day fix exercise. 20 pounds to loose.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Literally the #1 Question on this forum.

Yes - if you're talking about purposeful exercise, eat more on those days. Also, 1200 is not really a sustainable number of calories.

Your Goals should be set at "Active" and "Lose 1/2 pound per week." Then add in purposeful exercise when you do it, into the "Exercise" section - and eat more.

I would guess you should be at something like 1500-1600 PLUS an additional 200-400 more calories on days you exercise.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Also literally the same topic that's very near the top of the page of this sub-forum.
  • diggymo1972
    diggymo1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have been on p90x for years. Found myself tired and out of sorts not eating enough calories. So I guess you need to find the right mix
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If you used MFP to calculate your calorie goal and you are accurate in logging your calorie intake and calorie burns -- yes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would also wager that you have your activity level set to sedentary and I can't possibly a imagine a busy mom of 4 kids actually being sedentary so you're probably undereating all the way around.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would also wager that you have your activity level set to sedentary and I can't possibly a imagine a busy mom of 4 kids actually being sedentary so you're probably undereating all the way around.

Agree. Also, with 20 pounds to lose, I'd be thinking loss rate of a pound a week would be the maximum I'd recommend, to keep health risks reasonable and energy level high. Half a pound a week would be better once down to maybe 10 pounds left, IMO. I'm wondering if the 1200 reflects being set at 2 pounds a week.