cooking for someone doing low carb....

Options
Hi there! I'm a long time MFPer but haven't made a post in well... ever... anyway... I am hoping y'all would have some advice. A little back story of my situation... my SO is trying to lose weight and keep their A1C under control... They were diagnosed with T2 diabetes and had bariatric surgery to help manage the situation... they have been in remission since... however, their A1C is climbing again, and they want to get it under control... I don't have such health issues; however, I am actively trying to lose weight as I have about 75 lbs to lose...

So, where I'm needing help is any tips on how to prepare high protein low carb for them... while me still getting my carbs (I'm only calorie restricting mostly with an emphasis on eating mostly plants and lean meats) ... especially when they are veggie adverse... they may eat some edamame... I'm just at a loss and completely overwhelmed on how to get everyone's nutritional needs met so that our health and weight goals can also be met.

Thanks for reading and TIA for any tips and help.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,965 Member
    Options
    Here you go, one of the better sources for low carb and keto.

https://dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/new
  • k8blujay
    k8blujay Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks... there is just so much other there... I did also find some entrees on my usual go to as well.. It's just so daunting...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,965 Member
    Options
    k8blujay wrote: »
    Thanks... there is just so much other there... I did also find some entrees on my usual go to as well.. It's just so daunting...

It's only daunting when you don't have a plan of execution. Pic their favorite proteins and start making some recipes, that generally takes the fear out of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When my wife cuts, she just skips whatever grain or starch that would usually be on the dinner plate. For her, it's not so much about going low carb as it is cutting out the starches and grains is just an easy way to cut out calories.

We don't really do "recipes", especially during the work week. Dinner is usually just some kind of meat protein seasoned or marinated in whatever and grilled, some kind of veg or salad, and some kind of starch or grain like rice or potatoes or whatever. Like last night I made lemon pepper grilled chicken thighs, rice pilaf, and green beans. She just skipped the rice pilaf part.

As for the not liking veg thing...IDK...I'm personally of the opinion that if someone is following a specific diet protocol and they didn't like what I was serving up and they're going to be picky, then they can just figure it out on their own.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Is there any chance of exploring why they won't eat vegetables and whether they might eat others? Sometimes it's just habit, sometimes it's something about a food they don't like, and sometimes it's the preparation method. Change one of those things and the food might perfectly tasty to them. For example my spouse is fairly anti vegetable, but will eat mushrooms readily, and also carrots, pea pods and broccoli in stir fry, real pumpkin when in low cal pumpkin bread, and various other things. She will eat quite a few vegetables actually even though she is in the anti-green camp.

In this case, since your SO had bariatric surgery and are having trouble keeping A1C under control might they be interested in having an open ended conversation about possibilities? After all it's now a matter of survival. Is it possible they just haven't explored why they have a negative attitude about vegetables and it's all habit? After all, quite a few vegetables are low carb, or have a low glycemic impact, and that way you could share more together.

My concern would be mainly nutritional, you are not only less healthy with a limited diet, but also more likely to have uncontrollable cravings.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    If I were your personal chef, I would make the two of you something like this:
    • Baked bone-in, skin-on chicken thigh, larger portion for your SO. They eat the skin; you do not.
    • Baked potato with low fat sour cream for you only.
    • Roasted broccoli or cauliflower for both of you. Many posters here have mentioned that picky eaters will eat veggies that are roasted.
    • Berries, which are low carb yet sweet, for dessert. Perhaps with Greek yogurt.

My partner and I often eat the same foods, but in different proportions of macros and calories. Or sometimes we will have the same protein but very different starches and veggies. And sometimes he will skip the vegetable.

My food rule is that there is always a non starchy veg. His food rule is that there are some meals that do not include a non starchy veg.

For me, I try to ignore his food rule that there are always chips with sandwiches. (I don't find chips filling at all.) Sometimes I have green beans, or baked beans, or a tangerine, or nothing.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I'm very low carb (20 g or less per day, 5% or less of my daily macros) and have family members I cook for often who are not on low carb. It is easy to get used to.

Basically I prepare meat, I might cook mine with extra fat or have an extra portion on my plate. Like if I make chicken leg quarters my daughter might eat one, and I'll eat 1 & an extra thigh. I cook hers skinless.

I prepare some low-carb veggies like a salad, sauteed spinach, steamed broccoli, etc. And we can share that. She might add dressing to her salad that I don't use, or I might add butter to my broccoli while she won't. But the basic dish is cooked so we can each customize it.

And the non-low carbers will get a baked potato, or some glazed carrots, some rice, or a roll/bread product. I simply don't touch these, but I only put out things I can handle being around without triggering cravings. No mashed potatoes in my house, lol. It helps to find out what your low-carber's real triggers are and keep those away.

Or for lunch I'll put out a deli meat & cheese platter with olives, roasted red peppers, boiled eggs, etc. Or I'll whip up a tuna or chicken salad and put out the bowl. I'll put out the bread separate for them to make their own sandwich while I'll have a little platter of stuff and I won't eat the bread.

Sometimes I make low carb egg white or nut butter breads and put them out, and they'll eat that with me because they like it.

Breakfast can be like eggs, I might have more eggs or more meat on the side of mine. My daughter might have less eggs and meat with toast. Or I make keto waffles or keto pancakes which are made out of things like almond flour and eggs so it's okay for either of us to eat.

Usually I make low-carb desserts and keep low-carb snacks in the house like berries, unsweetened dairy, nuts & seeds, jerky, etc. Non low-carb people usually don't mind these either. If they're gonna be around I'll get other things they can eat that I won't, like mangos or bananas or popcorn... but again-- only if it's stuff I can resist without stressing it. As long as their are options we both enjoy that's what matters.

If I make low-carb versions of dishes, like low-carb lasagna with flourless egg noodles or zuchinni 'noodles', or low-carb pizza on egg white pizza crust, etc... they'll eat that. If the person is restricting their fats I might make 2 separate pans- one with part skim cheese and less of it, one with full fat cheese. Can always throw veggies on either, too.

But mostly if I stick to meat/eggs & veggies, with any bread/starch side dishes as optional, it works out. No stews/casseroles/etc. where the carbs are all mixed in.