DRIVE

Options
What drives you to lose pounds? What keeps you maintaining that loss? Any ideas on how to keep that drive to stay at your goal?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,761 Member
    Options
    Choose relatively easy tactics that minimize the need for drive: That's what works for me.

Losing weight may be a project with an end date, though it'll be a long project for any of us with a meaningful total amount to lose. (I lost 50ish pounds; took the better part of a year.)

But next comes staying at a healthy weight. That's a forever endeavor. I can't sustain drive forever. (I've been maintaining in a healthy range for 7+ years now, after around 30 year previously of overweight/obesity.)

So: Eating routines that are ideally pleasant, but at minimum tolerable and practical; fun ways of being active. That's what helps me.

What those look like would vary individually, I think: No universal best formula.
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree, no drive just pick an easy lifestyle. I picked a goal weight based on maintenance calories. Took a slow route to lose 30-35 pounds, the last 3-5 we were snowbirding for two months so I "test drove" maintenance for that time, no scale, just eyeballing food and logging and by the time we got home I was magically at goal, so no transition to maitenance. At my age (75) and height my maintenance calories are only around 1400. I 'm only six months into maintaining but this was a weight I maintained for decades and was overweight for a shorter period of time.
    I weigh myself, log food and watch my portions, wine, desserts etc. without obssessing. If I see creep up I start to be more careful with portions, going back to weighing food but so far so good.
    I think the biggest thing is to weigh yourself somewhat regularly to see if you start to trend up and continue to see how your clothes fit.
    If you need drive maybe change the drive to some fitness goals, again something you enjoy and look forward to.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Self love and not wanting to deal with health issues that some of my relatives experienced. It sometimes boggles my mind when I hear all the meds they are on, how their joints hurt, how they can't participate in physical activities, and just how frail some of them are. I workout everyday within what I can do that's just challenging enough to keep me fit. A lot of it is still on par on what I did in my 30's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Motivations:

Age better - I’m afraid of aging like many people I’ve seen who just kind of give up using their bodies. I see people buying chairs that stand them up, who can’t walk even short distances, can’t enjoy activities, who are in pain. Of course we can’t all avoid that kind of thing but most of us can improve it, I think.

Reduce dementia risk - I could include that above, but I feel it merits its own point. Reducing insulin resistance and increasing blood flow reduces dementia risk. I am quite motivated to do what I can there, let me tell you.

Enjoy life more now - it’s easier and more fun right now to hike, go to museums, go to the mall, dance, walk the dog, travel, and so much more if I’m fit.

Endorphins are a hellavua drug - and I get a nice hit when I work out.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,104 Member
    Options
    Maintaining for years on the way down has been easy for me. Losing is another story. I lose 30 or 40 pounds, lose steam, maintain a whiiiiiile. Rinse, repeat. I'm so close. I hope I can hold on just about 13 more pounds.