1200 calories doesn't seem like enough

Options
I just started yesterday. I am 5 11 and 169 lbs. the calculator said to lose 2 lbs a week i can only eat 1200 calories a day. so by the end of the day with only 1200 calories i felt dizzy and sick. is that ormal because I am just starting to limit my calorie intake??

Replies

• alymarest
    alymarest Posts: 115
    Options
    I just started yesterday. I am 5 11 and 169 lbs. the calculator said to lose 2 lbs a week i can only eat 1200 calories a day. so by the end of the day with only 1200 calories i felt dizzy and sick. is that ormal because I am just starting to limit my calorie intake??
  • melissac
    melissac Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    well iam not a doc or anything but that doesn't sound to good. It could be beacuse your not eating the extra food you earned from your excersie. I am on 1200 a day too but with my cardio and weight training i get an extra 360 that seems to be plenty form me today i had shreddies with sugar and milk for am ham sandwich for lunch strawberries cataloup and 6 minie cookies for snack and 1 slice pizza for dinner plus i still have 500 calorise to spair to have a snack before 7 tonight. i do not waiste calorise on juice or pop i am only drinking water right now. play around with menue choices to see what you can get that is most filling with fewest calorise see if that helps if not you may need to increase you food intake a bit and take a little longer to loose weight. also you may have to change your settings based on your normal daily activity.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm also at only 1200 a day. If I exercise the amount of calories I can consume goes up by the calories I have burned because 1200 is the base allowance of calories. I also notice that if my 1200 calories is made up of mostly carbs/starch I am dizzy (could be regarless of that as well - just being me). But I assume it is because it messes with my blood sugar levels.

In any case, if you feel dizzy and sick you must take care of yourself and feel good. Start higher and maybe work your way down. If you aren't feeling well, it won't work at all because it isn't sustainable.

Keep in touch about how you are doing.... Good luck!
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    Ask your doctor for a professional opinon. If you feel dizzy and sick, that's definitely not good. Perhaps you should try for 1lb a week? Your calorie allowance would be higher and the side-effects not quite so drastic.
  • natalieesmith
    Options
    yes at first I was cranky and felt starved all the time. Then I found option under a 100 calories for snacks, that helped. Alot of Fruit etc. were low cal and delicious. Then my body got used to it and I felt better and better time. I also do recommend excerising as an alternative to snacking and then if later if you do snack, it is covered anyways.
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    are you working out? what times do you eat? if you need to fill in the day with snacks pick two celery stalks with bean dip OR 10 cashews and an apple OR six oz flavored yogurt OR an orange OR 2 cups baby spinach leaves with ranch dressing. you will get used to it and not need as many snacks but don't reach for cookies or anything like that. then once a week eat one meal that you don't count calories.
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I bumped my plan down to only losing one pound per week so it isn't such a drastic change. The more I work out, the more I can eat, so it gives me more incentive to work out for a while. My blood sugar gets pretty screwy if I don't eat, so starving myself is definitely not in my plans, and it doesn't work. I reach for fresh veggies to fill in between meals. Don't give up! If you set your goals too high in the beginning, you will set yourself up for failure!
  • alymarest
    Options
    I don't usually have time to work out but today i went on a walk. I still feel dizzy. i'm hoping it'll just go away after a while. Should I count activities like playing the piano as exercise?
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I think 'playing guitar' is listed under cardio somewhere, so I assume playing a piano must burn something, too. :)
  • dragonfly183
    dragonfly183 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    what are you doing during the day that could count as exercise. Even house work can he counted as exercise as it does burn calories to walk around and straiten things up. even plain old ordinary ironing burns calories because your on your feet. Try including those in your exercise diary to earn you more.
  • alymarest
    Options
    Thanks for the help! :)
  • murkalicious
    murkalicious Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am also on a 1200 calorie budget. Its very hard but it keeps me motivated because i have to work for my meals
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Oh wow do not listen to the terrible exercise advice in this eight-year-old thread. @murkalicious step down your calories gradually to 1200 or choose a less-aggressive goal if 1200 becomes too hard.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Stop. Rewind. Start over.

You're very tall and already at a healthy weight for your height. You don't have much to lose. Your goal should be set to .5 lb a week, NOT 2. You risk losing muscle at such an aggressive goal, and obviously it's making you not feel well. Eat more. A lot more.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 for over one year and never feel hungry. For me, it has all been about variety, nutrition and "visual."

My take: I am not "on a diet" and I don't want to eat or look at "diet" food. The following was my breakfast TODAY and a sample of what I eat on a daily basis.

Best wishes.. just sharing some ideas...

Started the morning with a 355 calorie burn doing 60 minutes of walking, 3.1 mph.

Schools were delayed a few hours with freezing temp - had a hot (198 calorie breakfast) of: Driscolls – Fresh Strawberries - 1 oz, 112.5 g; Broccoli, 0.5 ounce; Cauliflower 1oz; White Mushrooms, 1.5 oz (84g); Jimmy Dean Fully Cooked Turkey Sausage Link (cut in half) 70% Less Fat, 68 grams); Egglands Best - Large Egg, 1 egg; Country Kitchen - Light Oatmeal Toast 1 slice; Tuscan Seasoning Shak'r, 0.25 tsp. (0.9g); I Can't Believe Its Not Butter - Butter Spray, 5 sprays.

TOTAL CALORIES: 198 (Leaving me a "negative" 157 calorie status heading into lunch.

20150113_084952_breakfast_1_zpsd32914fb.jpg

MyBreakfastRecipes1_zpsc5ce6454.jpg

73641431.png

• ng_jenice
    Options
    I am 5'5 164 lbs it tell me to eat 1800 a day . It all depends on how active you are .
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hopefully OP got an answer to her question in the last seven years :lol:
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Hopefully OP got an answer to her question in the last seven years :lol:

Very good...Ms. Hepburn