The 5 Key Rules for a Better Body

Options
By Dr. John M. Berardi, PhD, CSCS

What is good nutrition?
Do you know, specifically, what types of things you have to do to look better, feel better and live healthy? And do you know what types of things you have to avoid?

What do you think it means to “eat well” or “eat healthy” – that is, to eat in a way that will improve the way your body looks, feels and performs?

Jot down a few notes on what you think it means to eat healthy.

Then take a second to think about your list. Think about where you learned these rules.

Who taught you what you know about nutrition?
Perhaps you learned what you know about nutrition from parents or family – what you were told at the dinner table growing up, what comfort foods you ate.

And of course, no one is immune to the influence of the media – heck, every 3rd episode of Dr. Phil is about food and dieting.

And, no doubt, you’ve probably been influenced by your past dieting efforts – whether you’ve been successful or unsuccessful. Maybe you picked up a book recommendation from a friend, or read a magazine article and gave it a shot.

Here’s the point:

Most of what folks know about nutrition was taught to them by people who know little or nothing about nutrition!

And worse yet, most of that information gets hammered home without you even knowing it.

So let’s start from the top.

The 3S Criteria
Once you change these rules and habits, everything changes: the way you eat, the way you sleep, they way you look, the way you feel when you wake up in the morning, the way you perform – even the way you think.

To do that, you first need to know how to evaluate a nutritional strategy.

1. Simple. Are the rules easy to follow?
2. Science-based. Are the rules based on sound scientific principles?
3. Successful. Have the rules produced success in others like you?

A system based on those three things is absolutely critical.

Think again about your nutritional rules. Are your rules based on simplicity, science, and success? Have your rules produced the desired effect – a lean, healthy body that you’re able to maintain; a body that you’re happy with when looking in the mirror?

If not, perhaps they could use a re-evaluation.

5 Key Rules for a Better Body
1. Eat every 2-3 hours.
Now, you don’t need to eat a full meal every 2-3 hours – some of them can be smaller snacks. But every few hours you should be getting a dose of good food that follows the other rules below.

That may seem like a lot, but understand a) that each meal will be smaller than the ones most people eat, and b) that eating this way can drastically reduce your body’s inclination to store the calories you eat as body fat.

2. Include lean protein in each meal and snack.
Complete, lean protein generally is food that, well, was an animal or comes from an animal. Things like chicken, beef, fish, dairy, and the like.

“Lean” means low fat. So you want food high in protein but low in fat (e.g., leaner cuts of meat, low fat dairy, etc.).

Are you getting protein in each meal? If not, make the change.

Note: If you’re a vegetarian, this rule still applies – just like for the non-vegetarians.

3. Include vegetables in each meal or snack.
One of the best and easiest things you can do to improve your health is to include veggies in each meal or snack you eat – every 2-3 hours, right?

Psychologically, that’s a big change for most people. But it makes such a difference physically that it’s well worth it.

4. Save carb-heavy meals for after exercise.

This includes things like things rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. You can eat them all – but wait until after you’ve exercised. Plenty of research shows that the body is better able to process carbohydrates in the 3 hour period following a bout of intense exercise.

It’s true that starches, grains and sugars are dietary staples in North America, but remember that heart disease, diabetes and cancer are medical staples in North America – and there’s a relationship between the two!

To stop heading down the heart disease highway, reward yourself for a good workout with a good carbohydrate meal right after. For the rest of the day, stick to lean protein and a delicious selection of fruits and veggies.

5. Include a good balance of healthy fat in your diet.
For a long time, dietary fat was vilified in the media. The truth is that dietary fat is absolutely essential!

There are 3 types of fat: saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated. Eating all three kinds in a healthy balance can dramatically improve your health, and actually help you lose fat.

Your saturated fat will probably already be covered. Most foods containing lean protein also contain some saturated fat, and that’s okay.

Your monounsaturated fat should come from mixed nuts, olives, and olive oil.

Your polyunsaturated fat should from flax seed oil, fish oil, and mixed nuts.

Working healthy fat into your meals is easy.

Summary

Good nutrition can seem complex, but it starts out with a few simple rules. The 5 rules above alone will have you eating better – and looking better – than 85-90% of the population.

Replies

• Love_Conquers_All
    Options
    By Dr. John M. Berardi, PhD, CSCS

What is good nutrition?
    Do you know, specifically, what types of things you have to do to look better, feel better and live healthy? And do you know what types of things you have to avoid?

What do you think it means to “eat well” or “eat healthy” – that is, to eat in a way that will improve the way your body looks, feels and performs?

Jot down a few notes on what you think it means to eat healthy.

Then take a second to think about your list. Think about where you learned these rules.

Who taught you what you know about nutrition?
    Perhaps you learned what you know about nutrition from parents or family – what you were told at the dinner table growing up, what comfort foods you ate.

And of course, no one is immune to the influence of the media – heck, every 3rd episode of Dr. Phil is about food and dieting.

And, no doubt, you’ve probably been influenced by your past dieting efforts – whether you’ve been successful or unsuccessful. Maybe you picked up a book recommendation from a friend, or read a magazine article and gave it a shot.

Here’s the point:

Most of what folks know about nutrition was taught to them by people who know little or nothing about nutrition!

And worse yet, most of that information gets hammered home without you even knowing it.

So let’s start from the top.

The 3S Criteria
    Once you change these rules and habits, everything changes: the way you eat, the way you sleep, they way you look, the way you feel when you wake up in the morning, the way you perform – even the way you think.

To do that, you first need to know how to evaluate a nutritional strategy.

1. Simple. Are the rules easy to follow?
    2. Science-based. Are the rules based on sound scientific principles?
    3. Successful. Have the rules produced success in others like you?

A system based on those three things is absolutely critical.

Think again about your nutritional rules. Are your rules based on simplicity, science, and success? Have your rules produced the desired effect – a lean, healthy body that you’re able to maintain; a body that you’re happy with when looking in the mirror?

If not, perhaps they could use a re-evaluation.

5 Key Rules for a Better Body
    1. Eat every 2-3 hours.
    Now, you don’t need to eat a full meal every 2-3 hours – some of them can be smaller snacks. But every few hours you should be getting a dose of good food that follows the other rules below.

That may seem like a lot, but understand a) that each meal will be smaller than the ones most people eat, and b) that eating this way can drastically reduce your body’s inclination to store the calories you eat as body fat.

2. Include lean protein in each meal and snack.
    Complete, lean protein generally is food that, well, was an animal or comes from an animal. Things like chicken, beef, fish, dairy, and the like.

“Lean” means low fat. So you want food high in protein but low in fat (e.g., leaner cuts of meat, low fat dairy, etc.).

Are you getting protein in each meal? If not, make the change.

Note: If you’re a vegetarian, this rule still applies – just like for the non-vegetarians.

3. Include vegetables in each meal or snack.
    One of the best and easiest things you can do to improve your health is to include veggies in each meal or snack you eat – every 2-3 hours, right?

Psychologically, that’s a big change for most people. But it makes such a difference physically that it’s well worth it.

4. Save carb-heavy meals for after exercise.

This includes things like things rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. You can eat them all – but wait until after you’ve exercised. Plenty of research shows that the body is better able to process carbohydrates in the 3 hour period following a bout of intense exercise.

It’s true that starches, grains and sugars are dietary staples in North America, but remember that heart disease, diabetes and cancer are medical staples in North America – and there’s a relationship between the two!

To stop heading down the heart disease highway, reward yourself for a good workout with a good carbohydrate meal right after. For the rest of the day, stick to lean protein and a delicious selection of fruits and veggies.

5. Include a good balance of healthy fat in your diet.
    For a long time, dietary fat was vilified in the media. The truth is that dietary fat is absolutely essential!

There are 3 types of fat: saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated. Eating all three kinds in a healthy balance can dramatically improve your health, and actually help you lose fat.

Your saturated fat will probably already be covered. Most foods containing lean protein also contain some saturated fat, and that’s okay.

Your monounsaturated fat should come from mixed nuts, olives, and olive oil.

Your polyunsaturated fat should from flax seed oil, fish oil, and mixed nuts.

Working healthy fat into your meals is easy.

Summary

Good nutrition can seem complex, but it starts out with a few simple rules. The 5 rules above alone will have you eating better – and looking better – than 85-90% of the population.
  • WantToBeMoreActive
    Options
    thanks for the info :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    this was far to long for me to read right now lady. :tongue:

I'm tired because I just kicked my own *kitten* at the gym. I'll read it later. But I needed it in my posts so I could.

:glasses:
  • karma67
    karma67 Posts: 2
    Options
    My problem is that I sometimes forget to eat breakfast. I have tried to be better about scheduling 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. I also make poor decisions on what I am snacking on.

50785.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • Love_Conquers_All
    Options
    My problem is that I sometimes forget to eat breakfast. I have tried to be better about scheduling 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. I also make poor decisions on what I am snacking on.

50785.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

Would it help to have something fixed you can grab and go out the door with? I dunno...anything from a protein shake you mix while doing last minute things to head out, protein bar. Something I've been finding tasty, handy, simple and healthy..:laugh: I take a whole wheat tortilla slap some cashew nut butter on it (I use 1 T.), slip in a whole med. sized banana and fold it over. Good to go in when in a hurry.:wink:

I used to skip breakfast all the time....but once I started eating it, whew...my brain now doesn't function without eating some carb/protein carb combo within waking up ...prepares not only my body but brain.

Sometimes it just takes time to figure out a scedule that works for each of us individually.:drinker:
  • Love_Conquers_All
    Options
    bump
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    More good info from John Berardi! :flowerforyou:
  • Love_Conquers_All
    Options
    More good info from John Berardi! :flowerforyou:
    :wink: