What kind or diet/lifestyle change are you following ?

Options
My journey began with prolonged water only fast. Ranging from 24 hours to 6 days was the max.

I'm 50 pounds lighter and I'm now following the warrior diet aka 20/4 fast.

Considering trying more of a carnivore diet....just meats and water for two weeks.

Replies

• MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I started with a balanced diet 50% carbs/30protein/20 fat but that got tweaked and tweaked and I settled at high fat/low carb with 70%fat/25%protein/5% carb.

I wasn't striving for any particular diet but turned out it was closest to Keto. Sometimes I do go full carnivore for a few days.

I also do Intermittent Fasting in the form of Time Restricted Eating 16:8 or 18:6.

I lost 80 lbs and almost reversed diabetes, by Dec. I should be off that last med. After the holidays I was thinking of doing a 90 day carnivore run to see how that works.
  • cdennis9154
    cdennis9154 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started with a balanced diet 50% carbs/30protein/20 fat but that got tweaked and tweaked and I settled at high fat/low carb with 70%fat/25%protein/5% carb.

I wasn't striving for any particular diet but turned out it was closest to Keto. Sometimes I do go full carnivore for a few days.

I also do Intermittent Fasting in the form of Time Restricted Eating 16:8 or 18:6.

I lost 80 lbs and almost reversed diabetes, by Dec. I should be off that last med. After the holidays I was thinking of doing a 90 day carnivore run to see how that works.

Nice! So you saw good results with the high fat/moderate protein diet ?

Keep up the good the good work. I'm excited to see your progress.
  • cdennis9154
    cdennis9154 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For a few years I had been hanging out too much with my pals, Gluttony and Sloth, so I ditched them back in April and got reacquainted with my other friends, Portion Control and Physical Activity. With them I lost 44 pounds, brought my blood sugar and a1c back to normal, and got back into shape.

Congrats! Keep up the good work. Sometimes the company we keep is important to our health.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    The last time I checked I was around 30% from protein and pretty much all from animal products and that's based on my lean mass body, weight and objectives in general. fat is around 55-65% and carbs are generally all vegetables, nuts and seeds. Basically I'm low carb and have been for over a decade.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I'm eating less and moving more, and fasting 12:12.

You may like this video on the carnivore diet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4OmsKEWC10&t=3s
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,735 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. I went from carnivore to WFPB and vegan. I gave ip meat, chicken for a long yime and was eating fish. It was gradual. The more I ate whole plant foods the better I felt. I went full at beginning of pandemic
    I absolutely LOVE it! I have never felt better, enjoyed food so much and truly can't imagine being any other way. I have chronic conditions medically that have been enormously improved. My weight and skin, hormone level, everything feels soo much better
  • Fattyohfat
    Fattyohfat Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The last time I checked I was around 30% from protein and pretty much all from animal products and that's based on my lean mass body, weight and objectives in general. fat is around 55-65% and carbs are generally all vegetables, nuts and seeds. Basically I'm low carb and have been for over a decade.

I was taught that nuts and seeds count as fats not carbs. Could you give me some info on that? I've been avoiding nuts for now.
  • Fattyohfat
    Options
    I don't know if this will help or not. I started at 450 2months later 410 and went 50% protein, 20% fat, and 30% carbs. Most of my protein is animal, and my carbs are vegetables and fruit. the occasional whole grain.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Fattyohfat wrote: »

I was taught that nuts and seeds count as fats not carbs. Could you give me some info on that? I've been avoiding nuts for now.

Right, yeah nuts and seeds on a caloric level higher in fat and should be the focus on a macro level. For example my go to nuts are almonds, cashews, hazel and brazil. Almonds are low carb with a low 20% of calories and high in fat around 50% and decent protein of around 20%, perfect for a low carb diet and most of the fat is monounsaturated. Cashew on the other hand is around 35% carbs and 46% fat. Nuts and seeds are powerhouses of nutrients and nutrition and for me are more than mandatory and I use both for low carb breads and breading for proteins like fish and pork loin and add to pretty much all the stir fry's I make. I also make pesto's with both of these and also use different greens for variety and I add chopped nuts to my green goddess dressing for salads as well.
  • Fattyohfat
    Options
    [quote="neanderthin;c-47711074

Right, yeah nuts and seeds on a caloric level higher in fat and should be the focus on a macro level. For example my go to nuts are almonds, cashews, hazel and brazil. Almonds are low carb with a low 20% of calories and high in fat around 50% and decent protein of around 20%, perfect for a low carb diet and most of the fat is monounsaturated. Cashew on the other hand is around 35% carbs and 46% fat. Nuts and seeds are powerhouses of nutrients and nutrition and for me are more than mandatory and I use both for low carb breads and breading for proteins like fish and pork loin and add to pretty much all the stir fry's I make. I also make pesto's with both of these and also use different greens for variety and I add chopped nuts to my green goddess dressing for salads as well. [/quote]

Thank you I appreciate the information. It is helpful.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Considering trying more of a carnivore diet....just meats and water for two weeks.

OP, above, like the prolonged water fasts - why??

surely you would be better finding some way of eating that suits you long term (tweaking as you go if you want) rather than these short term fasts and temporary fad diets
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I believe in the literature the diet I follow is considered a non-ketogenic low carbohydrate diet.

• MacLowCarbing
    Options

surely you would be better finding some way of eating that suits you long term (tweaking as you go if you want) rather than these short term fasts and temporary fad diets

There are actually people who live on meat-only ore meat-mostly diets for years, or decades, and do just fine. Of course, there is nothing wrong with doing it as an elimination diet for the short-term, either.

There have been entire cultures in human history for which meat made up more than 90% of their diet.

Fat and protein are essential macros, and meat provides both adequately. Carbs are not an essential macro, humans can live without them. Some people do better to keep carbs to a strict minimum, others find they do better cutting them out entirely.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, it’s definitely been a work in progress.. many years ago I started with low carb, dabbled in keto, back to low carb, then went low sugar, then went low calories, close to 1800 I used to get in the beginning, switched my food choices to organic, grass fed, wild caught, free range, pasture raised, non gmo, etc.. then I went gluten free, low dairy.. I just recently started exercising regularly but my diet has been a slow progression to where it is now. Going all in was hard for me so making smaller changes over time was more successful. The closer I get to my goal weight the less calories I get to consume so that’s kinda sad but im almost there. So close. 💪
  • MacLowCarbing
    Options
    Hmmm, it’s definitely been a work in progress.. many years ago I started with low carb, dabbled in keto, back to low carb, then went low sugar, then went low calories, close to 1800 I used to get in the beginning, switched my food choices to organic, grass fed, wild caught, free range, pasture raised, non gmo, etc.. then I went gluten free, low dairy.. I just recently started exercising regularly but my diet has been a slow progression to where it is now. Going all in was hard for me so making smaller changes over time was more successful. The closer I get to my goal weight the less calories I get to consume so that’s kinda sad but im almost there. So close. 💪

I think it's good to make changes now and then; usually means you're listening to your body and watching out for your body's true needs, rather than just rote following someone else's prescribed list. I've changed the way I eat a lot on this journey from where I began and I expect I'll change again depending on where I go.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

There are actually people who live on meat-only ore meat-mostly diets for years, or decades, and do just fine. Of course, there is nothing wrong with doing it as an elimination diet for the short-term, either.

There have been entire cultures in human history for which meat made up more than 90% of their diet.

Fat and protein are essential macros, and meat provides both adequately. Carbs are not an essential macro, humans can live without them. Some people do better to keep carbs to a strict minimum, others find they do better cutting them out entirely.

She was referring to the water fasts, not the low carb diet. Which, water fasts, are, frankly, complete and utter bunk.

Yes exactly. The water fasts and the xxx for 2 weeks diets

I have no issue with people eating low carb or high percentage meat diets if such are the way of eating that suits them - but OP wasn't about that, was about short term temporary diets.
  • Groovy38995
    Groovy38995 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Very Simple - Low carb under 40 g per day. No other changes for now.