caloric limit with bad food choices

Options
Today at work the cake pops in the freezer kept calling to me. I ate three. Seems like a small discretion, however it added up to 550 calories! If you combine that to the 16oz chocolate cappuccino for 280 calories that I require every morning, there aren't a whole lot of calories for the rest of the day and all I've eaten is crap.

I try to stay at 1340 calories everyday. When I do things like mindlessly eating 550 calories of cake, it just doesn't leave a lot of room for the good stuff. I have been adamant about cutting off when I reach my limit which leaves me feeling famished.

Somehow I need to gain the interest in healthy foods. I won't be able to go on like this for long. I have lost weight, but I really do believe that what I eat matters almost as much as the calorie content.

Replies

• Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. Sometimes I eat something bad and then when it comes time for dinner I'm either going hungry or looking for exercise to do so that I can actually eat.

I want a fast, convenient, healthy and low calorie snack food please. Oh, and it should taste amazing.

S
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yep, Im bumping this. This exact thing happens to me. So ill even try a salad but I only feel filled for a really short period. And ill eat crappy food that have lots of calories
  • xcheshirecat
    xcheshirecat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Personnally, I have learned to eat things in moderation : when I crave sugar pie, I eat a 1/2 slice
    I'm learning to eat them at the good moment : ice cream in afternoon is ok, but not after supper
    And I've learn to change what I eat : no ice cream, but a bowl of yogurt will be yummy

When you do those 3 things, you have less efforts to put on each

I'm a sugar craver, so I try to focus on fruits, so I get my sugar and my body got good healthy nutriments
  • arbragg
    arbragg Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have always tried to plan my day out the evening before - so that i have all my meals as well as a snack between breakfast/lunch and lunch/supper. Try that and then if you do for whatever reason snack on something else, you are only burning that "extra" off and not trying to scramble for your whole meal.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    give yourself a break.
    Old habits die hard.
    You got fat by eating too many crappy foods.

You are now traveling in the right direction.
    Onwards and upwards!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    what in hell is a cake pop?
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    That kind of food to me is like alcohol to an alcoholic. I cannot be around it... or i will gorge... and then hate myself something fierce for it.

I keep it out of my house and if they bring that **** to work I avoid the break room like the plague has broken out there.

If you have a weakness for that type of food, do not put yourself around it.
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    I do great all day until after dinner time and then I feel like i am starving! And then I end up eating the bad stuff in the house. And i get withing just a few calories of my goal. I try not to let myself consume the extra calories I "earn" with exercise. soon the stuff will be gone and out of the house and I wont be tempted. And I wont replace it! I figured out how to do my coffee drinks so I dont miss Starbucks and that saves my day! I make double strength hazelnut flavored coffee and add a half cup of light vanilla flavored soy milk. No sweetener and im good! It only has about 40 calories! Now I just have to figure out cookies and cake and muffins with low calories!
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Start your day by planning your meals in your diary. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you're not sure what you're having, guess at it.

When you want a cake pop or something, look it up first. See if it fits in your day. Then you can determine whether or not to eat it.

I've gotten myself out of my "mindlessly eating a 1000 calorie lunch" rut this way.
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    ya know that is me too. Im trying to figure out how to improve my relationship with food so I dont have to avoid it so much.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    what you eat does matter, but I applaud the effort to trying to be strict with your calorie count. try to find a source of lean protein that you like. fish, chicken, bison, grass fed beef, protein powder.

what really helps with snacking is if you like veggies. most of them don't have a ton of calories and you can munch on them mindlessly. for me, raw string beans, bean sprouts, cucumbers, lettuce, green peppers, celery are absolutely yummy...probably in that order. just think of how many string beans you could eat.

as for fruits, those with a lower glycemic index value are best for you. berries are simply fab...raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries...can't go wrong with any of them. apples and pears are also great.

I'm allergic to nuts, but I know several folks turn to nuts for a healthy snack.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Hi, please add me..I have slowly started eating healthier foods..just every week just to add a healthy item to your plate...I try and incorporate fruits and veggies in my daily meal planning...more veggies than fruit..less calories and you can load up on that..and feel fuller..

What seems to help for me..is having a plan for the day in the beginning or at night for the next day..you just have to have a goal in mind and that will help to ease you into your eating pattern.. for example my next mini goal is on Halloween...I am soooo close I can totally visualize it! hehe..Mine was to lose 10 lbs within two months..so far..I am at that halfway mark and sooo happy....haven't been this weight in a very, very long time...

If I plan on eating something heavier for the day..I pretty much choose breakfast or lunch and eat a healthier lighter dinner..and that helps me.. you can view my food diary and see for yourself.. its just eating in moderation..the foods we love..if we totally cut it out..it ends in a spiral end to the loss or goals we had wanted to be achieved..and therefore we binge and start all over...

No need to start over..just keep on going..we all have days that we mess up..just pick yourself up and do it again the next day..with a plan the next day.. Hope this helps..check below as well..may help you too...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    That kind of food to me is like alcohol to an alcoholic. I cannot be around it... or i will gorge... and then hate myself something fierce for it.

I keep it out of my house and if they bring that **** to work I avoid the break room like the plague has broken out there.

If you have a weakness for that type of food, do not put yourself around it.

agreed. there are certain things (Cape Cod potato chips, for example) that I have to keep out of the house or otherwise stay away from. we went to play some cards with some friends friday night. my wife wanted to stop at Publix to get some "snacks". I knew I should not have done this, but it had been a few months since I had some Cape Cod chips...so I got a bag...and pretty much ate 80% of the bag that night (the only reason I didn't eat it all is because I shared some...of course, I also shared some other chips that night). UGH!
  • janknudsen
    Options
    I have always had a terrible sweet addiction....now, I like to keep watermelon diced up in the fridge...it's sweet, it's juicy, and it's not too many calories...Also, I keep Weight watchers snack size fudge bars...45 calories a bar ... sweet and chocolately....when I'm having one of those sweet craving days...these foods are life savers...I've lost 32 pounds since May and that included four weeks of traveling!!
  • lacf86
    lacf86 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Now I just have to figure out cookies and cake and muffins with low calories!

yeah, i'm a massive cake-lover...quite literally, haha. the other week when it was raining i was trying to think what to do with my toddler: i thought about baking, but then realised that having a load of cakes in the house would be a BAD idea for me. THEN i remembered that i had some of those teeny tiny petit four cases, so we made teeny tiny chocolate cakes!! just a one egg/2oz mix and we made 20 little cakes at only 55 calories each - and that included the marshmallow icing!

Admittedly it's not as satisfying at eating a whole cupcake, but it is still a yummy 'naughty' snack that you don't have to feel too guilty about, even if you eat 2 :wink:
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking at any of the Hungry Girl Cookbooks? They have fantastic versions of quite a few "high calorie" foods that many people crave. Not all of it is fabulous but almost every recipe I've tried thus far has been stellar! :)