Reading meal macros

Options
AlohaJess34
AlohaJess34 Posts: 6 Member
edited September 2023 in Food and Nutrition
Hi Everyone!
Hopefully this is a quick answer! I thought I knew how to read the numbers above each meal but when I do the math they don't make sense. For example, my breakfast *looks* like my fat content is high for the entries. But when I go into each food and add up the total fat, it's not even close! The carbs add up but the fat and protein do not. I thought these numbers show your macros for that meal... Am I reading these numbers wrong? Thanks! (tried to attach a file but it won't let me)
Tagged:

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,352 Member
    Options
    I think I remember reading about a recent bug where two macros are switched in the overview (fat and protein?). Would that explain your issue?
  • AlohaJess34
    Options
    Possibly? I'd have to do the math and check if they've been switched or are just wrong. They are, for sure, not correct! I even deleted everything and re-entered and still had the same problem.... Fat and protein counts were not represented correctly when I did the math. This is frustrating for sure! Now I don't know if I can trust my dashboard or any of the other outputs because I don't know if it's affecting anything else...! 😳
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've had problems on occasion when the listings people added were wrong.... and a couple times I ran into a glitch, like I put in parmesan 2 tbsp and it came up like 27000 g. of fat, I was like :o I had to delete it and put it in again. When the numbers seem off I double check it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,867 Member
    Options
    There are different display options so I'm not sure what you're seeing.

If you're looking at percentages, I'd observe that in many MFP displays, it's percentages of calories from the macro that's displaying not percentage of grams. Since fats have 9 calories per gram, and protein/carbs have 4 calories per gram, that can be a source of confusion.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    I've checked my own diary (Android app) and there is definitely something 'wonky'.

j97a7yolxthq.jpg

The food in question is shrimp, so that 15 is definitely protein and not fat! So fat and pétrin seem to be switched.

Desktop diary and daily/weekly macro breakdown in the app seems okay though.
  • AlohaJess34
    Options
    The display I'm talking about is the 3 macro numbers above each meal. For some reason I still can't attach my screenshot.

I switched it to grams instead of % so I could see the meal breakdown. I did the math today with new entries that I have checked for accuracy. When I did the math it is switching the protein and fat afterall. I know someone mentioned a bug doing this. Has anyone figured out how to fix it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The display I'm talking about is the 3 macro numbers above each meal. For some reason I still can't attach my screenshot.

I switched it to grams instead of % so I could see the meal breakdown. I did the math today with new entries that I have checked for accuracy. When I did the math it is switching the protein and fat afterall. I know someone mentioned a bug doing this. Has anyone figured out how to fix it?

I would wager that since it's an MFP bug, only MFP can fix it.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Nothing we can do to fix it, except perhaps annoy MFP via their Customer support team to solve it quickly :smile:
  • advand
    advand Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fat and protein on "macros by meal" diary line are in fact switched this week. I also reported the bug.
  • AlohaJess34
    Options
    Hey everyone! Thanks for the input on this! Today it seems to be correct but I'll keep an eye on it still.