Who else here rucks?

I read Michael Easter's "the Comfort Crisis" and picked up rucking as a fitness activity. I never enjoyed running or lifting weights. I love walking and hiking so adding a weighted pack to those activities was super easy for me to do. The amount of calories expended rucking blows away whatever I was able to burn from running. Just completed my first 5K ruck race. Came in 5th for all men which I am happy with as I was by far the oldest at 52.

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,749 Member
    No, but I want to. It looks like tremendous exercise, and it's far more appealing to me than just walking.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Congrats on the race. Same here. Looking to switch up my routine with something new that is a low impact alternative to running.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I did it years ago. What was the race? I think it was back in 2013 or 2014 I trained for and did a Goruck Challenge. It was pretty brutal and started at midnight and went through sunrise. I was in the Marine Corps once upon a time and it ended up being a bit too much PTSD for me...I didn't mind the training, but the actual challenge to me back to days I'd rather forget.

https://www.goruck.com/pages/what-is-rucking

I took a quick look at their website and it doesn't look like they do them anymore...but it was just a quick look so maybe I missed it. I know the one I did, multiple people were injured during the challenge and one guy flat out passed out so I'm thinking it was maybe a little too gungho for gen pop and maybe some liability issues or something.

I still have my ruck and my weight and I primarily walk these days for exercise so maybe I'll dust them off...though most of my walks are with my dog around the neighborhood in the morning so it wouldn't be remotely close to what I was doing back in the day with my rucking.
  • Amick42
    Amick42 Posts: 2 Member
    I just looked up Rucking and am now interested in trying it though.