BUTTER SUBSTITUTE?

Options
What kind of butter substitute do you guys use? I was using Smart Balance but lately I've been buying "I can't believe its not butter LIGHT" because it taste better to me.

Does it make a difference? Is there something I should be avoiding (on the nutritional label)?

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Why not use real butter?
  • trac30
    trac30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Why not use real butter?

Well I was looking for a healthier alternative.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't eat anything that needs butter anymore so no need for an alternative.

I think the last time I actually used butter was when I made birthday cupcakes for a friend...

If I did need it for something, I'd use the real thing or whichever one I liked the taste of.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    How are you using it?
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I use both that you mentioned. I do not like the taste of real butter anyway, I'm a margerine kind of girl. BUT I do also use extra virgin coconut oil in place of butter. LOVE IT. It has plenty of fats, but they are good fats. Plus I love coconut. YUM.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Why not use real butter?

Well I was looking for a healthier alternative.

there are articles out there that explain why real butter is healthier than the butter substitutes. of course, anything should be used in moderation.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I often use a low fat soft cheese in sandwiches. It gives that bit of moisture, and tastes really nice.
  • trac30
    Options
    How are you using it?

Mostly to cook dinner, saute veggies, etc stuff like that. Sometimes I use a little to scramble eggs.
  • trac30
    Options
    I use both that you mentioned. I do not like the taste of real butter anyway, I'm a margerine kind of girl. BUT I do also use extra virgin coconut oil in place of butter. LOVE IT. It has plenty of fats, but they are good fats. Plus I love coconut. YUM.

I've seen this but never used it before. I was wondering how strong the coconut flavor is. I was like Coconut brocolli? ehh
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    extra virgin coconut oil...and extra virgin olive oil...are 2 of the most healthy fats that you can consume. they are both good (along with real butter) for cooking and salad dressing.

margarine is one of the worst things you can consume.
  • New_Hope
    Options
    For cooking vegetables/meat, I use nonstick cooking spray or extra virgin olive oil. Anything else that needs cooking, I use nonstick spray.

As far as baking or anything, I find ways around using butter. We just don't keep it in the house.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    How are you using it?

Mostly to cook dinner, saute veggies, etc stuff like that. Sometimes I use a little to scramble eggs.

Why not just use a little spray? I am allergic to milk so butter isn't even an option (I use Blue Bonnet Light), but a little spray or, if you must use greasy stuff, some EVOO should work just as well as butter for cooking. When I sautee veggies, I spray the pan to prevent it from sticking and then add actual seasonings for flavor.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Watch out for:
    -- MONO- and DI-GLYCERIDES as well as
    -- HYDROGENATED and PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED OILS.

I just switched to smart-balance, from shed spread.

I do enjoy REAL BUTTER much better, but I've high cholesterol and I'll eat way too much.
    With the substitutes I don't eat as much, because I don't like them as much.

I'm under the impression (maybe I should look this up) smart balance is actually supposed to reduce my LDLs.
    I did check the lable and know Shed's Spread had hydrogenated oils in it and smart balance doesn't.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Butter >> Margarine
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    avoid everything with the words "partially hydrogenated" it in. It can say trans fat free, but in reality it contains less than .5 grams per serving. I just stick to small amounts of butter or olive oil or coconut oil. It does taste like coconut, but its not super strong. Its good, melts well :)
  • bbydl64
    bbydl64 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use Olivio fat free.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Bummel and brown is really good.. it's got yogurt in it so it's not diary free. It's also more expensive than any of the other non-hydrogenated butter subs.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I use the strategy of "use the real thing or do without" instead of going in on some product that is being marketed to me as a "healthy replacement for such and such." I just have a hard time buying into the idea that anything that is 5-10 years old is better for me than something centuries old. (It helps that I don't believe saturated fat is bad.)

For what its worth, I don't do without butter. Somerdale English Butter is AMAZING.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I cook mostly everything in either in a bit of Pam, or a dash of olive oil, or broth. I have read all about the evils of "fake" butters out there. Eggs, Pam. Veggies, Pam. chicken, broth or Pam. Fish, Pam. Pork chops, olive oil. get creative. I do use butter when I want a bit of a treat. Real butter on a piece of whole grain toast. Little bit on my veggies every now and again cuz nothing tastes the same as real butter. Of course, when I bake, i butter it up cuz that's what you do. Expieriment and find what you like, what you can live with, and what you can get rid of.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I use Earth Balance margarine, it has no dairy and is cold pressed not hydrogenated.