mexican food (not a "what can i order?" post!)

Options
**after posting this, i realized it's SORT of "what can i order." but ive already done most of the work...
sorry for the confusion...**

i already KNOW what i am going to get:
chicken salad. no guac, no refried beans, no cheese (and probably no tortilla bowl so i won't be tempted to eat it..!). lots of SALSA though :)

question 1:
is there anything else you'd recommend i ask them to put in my salad to "beef" it up a little bit (specific veggies maybe?) that won't add a lot of calories?

question 2:
is there anything else i can munch on BESIDES tortilla chips during the happy-hour phase? im only planning on 2 drinks plus my chicken salad, and i've allotted the cals for it. but i get munchy with those chips and salsa, and am trying to think if there's something else i can ask for to get that munch without the exponentially increasing calorie count...

thanksssssss!

Replies

• abbylove08
    abbylove08 Posts: 215
    Options
    **after posting this, i realized it's SORT of "what can i order." but ive already done most of the work...
    sorry for the confusion...**

i already KNOW what i am going to get:
    chicken salad. no guac, no refried beans, no cheese (and probably no tortilla bowl so i won't be tempted to eat it..!). lots of SALSA though :)

question 1:
    is there anything else you'd recommend i ask them to put in my salad to "beef" it up a little bit (specific veggies maybe?) that won't add a lot of calories?

question 2:
    is there anything else i can munch on BESIDES tortilla chips during the happy-hour phase? im only planning on 2 drinks plus my chicken salad, and i've allotted the cals for it. but i get munchy with those chips and salsa, and am trying to think if there's something else i can ask for to get that munch without the exponentially increasing calorie count...

thanksssssss!
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    a lot of mexican places have pickled carrots, radishes and other veggies. you could crunch those instead of chips (assuming you like them!). also, whole pinto or black beans are good for you and def not as bad as refried.

good luck:drinker:
  • gggivens
    gggivens Posts: 46
    Options
    I would keep the guacamole, myself. Avacados are healthy fat.

As for the munchies before the meal- try a small portion of chips (Ask the waiter if they can make some baked chips for you. If it is not busy, they might be willing to accomodate your request. I would have when I was waitressing.)

You could also try a shrimp cocktail if they serve them. Eat it slowly, and you get good protein.

Also, if you LIKE beans, see if they have whole beans rather thran refried. Refried usually have lard in them. Whole beans, which a lot of places now have, don't usually have much fat in them at all.)

You are right to skip the fried shell- that has most of the fat and calories.

Fajita salads are also a great way to go. Have the meat and vegis on a bid salad, and top with salsa. My fave! The roasted onions and peppers really make it taste great!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    you took all the taco out of your taco salad. All you have left is salad with chicken and salsa.... which is fine... but you can make thet at home for like .1 of the price. Just sayin. I'd probably have it as is, and throw in an extra workout to afford it. I might nix the cheese or the refried beansbut not both and definitely not that delishious shell it comes it. mmmmmm taco salad.