Doing IF all wrong

Options
So I decided to do 12:12 as the most easiest option. Anyway I read that those doing IF they had 2 meals instead of 3. But what I was doing was cramming my 3 meals within the time slots. So break my fast at 11 and have breakfast and then at 12.30 have lunch. Im such a loser honestly.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you're mad at yourself.

Eating two meals close together is fine as long as your daily calories are in line.
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is when you don’t eat for a certain period of the day and then you eat
    So what I used to do was have between 12-8pm as my eating period…
    It doesn’t matter if you eat your meals close together as long as you are only eating between 12-8pm (for example)

I used to get up in the mornings and have a cup of tea because no matter what diet I have I MUST have a cup of tea or else like people need their coffee 🤣🤣 don’t talk to me until I’ve had my tea

Then I would go for a long walk with my husband..we would go to our local Tesco and buy a nice lunch…and eat it in the park…
    Then I’d come home and have maybe a small snack and then dinner at say 5-6 o clock and that would be it for me…so technically I had two hours extra to eat but I wasn’t hungry because I spaced it out :)

Drink lots of water when you wake up aswell before your fast opens :)

Good luck x don’t give up xx
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    I do 12:12 and it doesn't matter how many meals you eat in the 12 you're allowed to AS LONG AS you don't exceed your target calorie intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Why not start at the beginning: Do you feel you need to do IF because you overeat otherwise, or is there a different reason why you do it?
  • shazia20
    shazia20 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do it because yes i over eat but mainly because i have absolutely no self control
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    shazia20 wrote: »
    I do it because yes i over eat but mainly because i have absolutely no self control

That's something that is learned. Give new habits some time to become automatic. Months.

The other thing is that when I eat too many carbs I'm hungry again really soon. That may be part of your issue when you're hungry again in an hour and a half. Try eating a good sized first meal of about 400-500 calories. Get sufficient protein and fat in that meal. If I eat (for instance) cereal or porridge for a first meal I need to add protein and fat to that. Nuts, butter, milk, yogurt, an egg. I do best with 20-40g protein in the first meal.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of looking at what you’re eating to see if you can improve satiety - so you can feel better.

If what you eat is nourishing for your body, your body can feel calmer and not feel like it has to demand so much.

Things that are bad for satiety include sweets, soda, dessert drinks, chips/crisps, and other highly processed foods. When we eat them, they do not nourish us, so we don’t really feel fed. And these foods often spike our blood sugar, which is followed by a crash. The crash makes us feel awful so we need to eat something to feel okay again, but often we eat things that cause another spike - then another crash.

Things that nourish us and help us to feel steady and full include:
    - fiber (helps us feel full faster, helps us feel full for longer as fiber digests slowly, helps us reduce blood sugar crashes)
    - Protein (helps us feel full, helps us retain/build muscle)
    - High quality dietary fat (helps us feel full)
    - Fruits and vegetables (gives us viatmins and minerals our bodies need, which quiets the clamoring of our bodies if we are lacking certain necessary nutrients, plus they are high in fiber)

Keep posting, this is a solvable issue and no need to beat yourself up about it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So I decided to do 12:12 as the most easiest option. Anyway I read that those doing IF they had 2 meals instead of 3. But what I was doing was cramming my 3 meals within the time slots. So break my fast at 11 and have breakfast and then at 12.30 have lunch. Im such a loser honestly.

2 meals or 3 doesn't really matter...the overall calories are what matter. You probably see most people doing IF eating 2 meals per day because they do 16:8...for me, that would mean skipping breakfast and just eating my lunch, afternoon snacks, and dinner and the skipping of breakfast would be the elimination of calories to arrive at a deficit.

I personally wouldn't even consider 12:12 to really be IF...it's a pretty ordinary eating pattern. I eat dinner most nights at around 8PM and usually eat my breakfast when I get to the office at around 8:30 AM. I think 12 hours fasting overnight while people sleep and then maybe have a busy morning getting ready for work to be pretty normal. I suppose I could see it being beneficial if someone is snacking throughout the night after dinner and/or getting up in the middle of the night and eating...but otherwise I'd consider it to be a pretty standard eating window for most people.
  • tinalea64
    tinalea64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi - I agree with cmriverside - break your fast with some good protein in the meal. If you do, you shouldn't be hungry again by 12:30. Have confidence in yourself and make the decision to stop before you are full and not eat just to eat. I know it's hard, trust me, I love food but it can be done and you can do it! I break my fast between 11-12. I usually have breakfast so there is generally a couple of eggs with whatever else I eat. I'll have something light between 2-3 maybe fruit and some nuts and then dinner between 5-6 so I am finished eating by 7. Then I am fasting for 16 hours or so.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    stevesc1 wrote: »
    Honestly I wouldn’t even consider12:12 to even really be IF. A “normal” breakfast time of 7-8 am, and dinner at 7-8 pm is not really anything out of the ordinary for a standard traditional eating pattern. Part of the theory of the benefits of IF is based on the idea that you have an extended period of time that your body is not dealing with food intake, allowing for reduced insulin levels, etc. Modern food culture has gotten so distorted regarding the idea of eating from the time you get up to the time you go to bed with snacks between meals and this is probably a contributor to the overall overconsumption of calories and the associated epidemic of obesity.

I would agree with most of this, but the obesity epidemic started rearing its head in the 70s and people were eating 3 squares a day long before the 1970s. Three meals per day were very common by the late 18th century in cities and towns, and just about everywhere by the 19th century.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,296 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    OP, I'm going to offer you some cranky-granny advice: Don't beat yourself up over mistakes. Feeling like a loser doesn't advance your goals one iota. Psychologically, it can even have the opposite effect.

What are your goals? If weight loss, IF is completely optional in the first place. If you'd like to do it as a way to more easily limit your calorie intake (the thing that matters for weight loss), or for any other reason, that's completely fine.

Regardless, beating yourself up isn't helpful. If you try something, and some aspect goes wrong, learn from it. Analyze why the process broke down, revise your plans to include this new knowledge, and run the experiment again to test the new plan. It's like a fun, productive science fair experiment for grown ups. Self-recrimination and guilt burn zero extra calories.

You say you have "zero self control". (I'm betting that's not even literally true, across the spectrum of your life.) How you talk about yourself, even inside your own head . . . that matters. Find a way to reframe this, maybe "I haven't figured out yet how to manage my impulse eating". In your conception of the situation, give yourself some room to work at improvement.

You can make changes in your life, even in your attitudes and skills. (Self control is a skill, not an unchangeable character trait.) Think of ways to work on improving it. As you take the reins, and make change in your life, it will be very empowering.

Go for it. You can do it. Stick with it.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    stevesc1 wrote: »
    Honestly I wouldn’t even consider12:12 to even really be IF. A “normal” breakfast time of 7-8 am, and dinner at 7-8 pm is not really anything out of the ordinary for a standard traditional eating pattern. Part of the theory of the benefits of IF is based on the idea that you have an extended period of time that your body is not dealing with food intake, allowing for reduced insulin levels, etc. Modern food culture has gotten so distorted regarding the idea of eating from the time you get up to the time you go to bed with snacks between meals and this is probably a contributor to the overall overconsumption of calories and the associated epidemic of obesity.

I would agree with most of this, but the obesity epidemic started rearing its head in the 70s and people were eating 3 squares a day long before the 1970s. Three meals per day were very common by the late 18th century in cities and towns, and just about everywhere by the 19th century.

On top of that, during subsistence farming/fishing eras - a lot of human history in a lot of places - it would've been pretty common to eat breakfast near dawn, and the evening meal near dusk, to maximize the amount of work one could perform in the daylight hours. (I'm old enough to have had one parent whose family subsistence farmed until he was near adulthood, BTW. Their eating pattern would've been more like that. The calories-out side of the equation was massive, of course. :D )
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options

I eat @ 12:12 because that's how I eat - I'm not trying to fast. I have @ 5 small meals/large snacks during that time.

I'm hungry again in a short time for these reasons: I didn't get a lot of calories previously and/or the macro mix wasn't particularly satisfying.

For example, if I eat a lot of carbs and fat, or mostly carbs, and low protein and low fiber, I will get hungry again quicker than I'd like. If you want more time between breakfast and lunch, look at what you're eating for breakfast. Cereal and milk is high carbs/low fat/low protein. Bread and peanut butter is high carbs/high fat/low protein.

You may find an egg-based breakfast more filling. Another example is a half bagel, cream cheese, and lox/smoked salmon. Additionally, protein rich breakfasts don't have to be traditional breakfast foods.

I used to think there was something wrong with me, but it turns out that I needed a better macro mix (plus more fiber) and to stop taking medications that spiked my appetite.

fm18hkrl8uqb.png
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hello. I do IF with an eating window of 8 hrs, sometimes 6 hrs, because for me it is an exercise in discipline. I would snack a lot, even when not hungry at night. I was also notorious for skipping a meal, getting hungry, and giving into a binge at night. With IF I make sure I eat my calories & get my nutrition in at the right times; then I close that window and wait patiently. This teaching me not to mindlessly eat, not to undereat in the day or overeat at night.

That sounds a little like what you may be getting at-- discipline?-- and IF is a fine way to do that for some people. But now you have to figure out for your eating window, what works for you?

Do you need to eat many small meals when your eating window is open? Or does it work better for you to eat a couple of larger meals, and keep some healthy snacks around that you put in your plan for the day?

Are you getting in enough calories, protein, etc. during that window time? That is essential.

Play with different times to eat/snack and see what works for you-- maybe instead of breakfast at 11 am and lunch at 12:30, why not just have a "brunch" at 11, and snack or two until dinner?

Also try to break habits with what you eat at a meal. Like if you're used to cereal or toast for breakfast, maybe they're not filling enough. maybe you'd be better off with tuna fish or a nice chicken breast and some veggies.

If you're getting good nutrition in during those 12 hrs, and sticking to your daily caloric allowance, you should be able to go 12 hrs without hunger and lose weight.

If no matter how you approach it you find yourself getting ravenous at night, maybe IF is just not for you and you need a more steady stream of nutrition.

I'm not an expert in nutrition or anything; I just can go based on my experiences and research on IF. But I encourage you to play around with your timing and find what's right for you.

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    If 12:12 was IF, I've been doing it all my life. When I was a kid, I'd get up at 7 am and eat breakfast, then supper was at 6 pm. We did not snack after supper. I really don't consider 12:12 IF.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The OP is having difficulty with 12:12 and probably won’t benefit from comments about how 12:12 is nothing.