The most powerful antioxitant on Earth?

Options
Phoenyx01
Phoenyx01 Posts: 9 Member
edited October 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
Recently I started drinking Tumeric tea for tinnitus. The curcumin is an antioxidant, and an inflammatory as well. It actually does help the tinnitus a little! It also is a good antioxidant, however the most interesting thing I found out is if you add black pepper to turmeric it acts like a catalyst, where your body, instead of absorbing something like .3 percent actually changes to something like 2000 percent! Here is an excerpt from a study on curcumin bioavailability alone:

"It is well accepted that curcumin itself displays poor solubility in water, chemical instability, and a lowly pharmacokinetic profile. Despite its efficacy and safety, the therapeutic potential of curcumin is indeed still debated due to a relatively poor bioavailability in humans, even when administered at high dosage"

referenced from this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6770259/

Here is an article talking about adding black pepper to turmeric for better absorption:

"By adding just a little black pepper, the bioavailability of curcumin shoots up by 2,000 percent, as I discuss in more detail in my video Boosting the Bioavailability of Curcumin. Even just a little pinch of pepper—1/20th of a teaspoon—can significantly boost curcumin levels"

referenced from this website:

https://nutritionfacts.org/blog/why-pepper-boosts-turmeric-blood-levels/#:~:text=By adding just a little,can significantly boost curcumin levels.

Something to think about. I hope you found this helpful. Good luck on your fitness journey!

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Most good Tumeric supposed already contain black pepper
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    There's a little more to it than absorption.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5346970/

No double-blinded, placebo controlled clinical trial of curcumin has been successful. This manuscript reviews the essential medicinal chemistry of curcumin and provides evidence that curcumin is an unstable, reactive, nonbioavailable compound and, therefore, a highly improbable lead. On the basis of this in-depth evaluation, potential new directions for research on curcuminoids are discussed.
  • olgatarasova923
    olgatarasova923 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The most powerful is NAC or glutathione.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,144 Member
    Options
    Phoenyx01 wrote: »
    Recently I started drinking Tumeric tea for tinnitus. The curcumin is an antioxidant, and an inflammatory as well. It actually does help the tinnitus a little! It also is a good antioxidant, however the most interesting thing I found out is if you add black pepper to turmeric it acts like a catalyst, where your body, instead of absorbing something like .3 percent actually changes to something like 2000 percent! Here is an excerpt from a study on curcumin bioavailability alone:

"It is well accepted that curcumin itself displays poor solubility in water, chemical instability, and a lowly pharmacokinetic profile. Despite its efficacy and safety, the therapeutic potential of curcumin is indeed still debated due to a relatively poor bioavailability in humans, even when administered at high dosage"

referenced from this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6770259/

Here is an article talking about adding black pepper to turmeric for better absorption:

"By adding just a little black pepper, the bioavailability of curcumin shoots up by 2,000 percent, as I discuss in more detail in my video Boosting the Bioavailability of Curcumin. Even just a little pinch of pepper—1/20th of a teaspoon—can significantly boost curcumin levels"

https://nutritionfacts.org/blog/why-pepper-boosts-turmeric-blood-levels/#:~:text=By adding just a little,can significantly boost curcumin levels.

Something to think about. I hope you found this helpful. Good luck on your fitness journey!

I don’t know anything about turmeric (except it’s a tasty part of many curries), but I do like math.

The referenced item does not say absorption increased to 2000% but by 2000%.

So if absorption is normally 0.3%, it could increase to an absorption of 6%.

A wonderful illustration of the difference between relative and absolute differences. All too often the effectiveness of various things are reported in terms of relative difference since it looks like a huge difference, but once you look at the absolute difference you discover it made something like a half percent difference. Using relative difference should not be allowed, especially when marketing actual pharmaceuticals.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    Options
    Phoenyx01 wrote: »

I don’t know anything about turmeric (except it’s a tasty part of many curries), but I do like math.

The referenced item does not say absorption increased to 2000% but by 2000%.

So if absorption is normally 0.3%, it could increase to an absorption of 6%.

A wonderful illustration of the difference between relative and absolute differences. All too often the effectiveness of various things are reported in terms of relative difference since it looks like a huge difference, but once you look at the absolute difference you discover it made something like a half percent difference. Using relative difference should not be allowed, especially when marketing actual pharmaceuticals.
    Yeah, statins are the poster boy for relative risk.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    turmeric works really well for a lot of things...for a while...then it stops working. one thing tinnitus sufferers finds works really well is an anti depressant. Wellbutrin or Celexa seem to be a couple of the best to combat tinnitus. not saying tinnitus is related to depression...but the medication seems to help. something research and to bring up with your doctor?