WEIGHT WATCHERS???? WOULD YOU??

Options
124»

Replies

• Mamaincali
    Mamaincali Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've done WW twice and both times it worked for me. I just like MFP because I don't have to go thru the extra step of converting all of my food to the points system. It does work, but I like MFP better. Good luck!

This exactly. I hated figuring out points for items when I was at the store too. WW did work but I really like MFP, its free and there is an online support system. But for some people they need the extra push of going to meetings and getting weighed.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I tried WW, but really didn't lose anything. I ate a lot of so-called zero point foods, but they aren't zero calorie. So, I didn't lose. And I wasn't steady with the exercise. I also did the online WW program, not the in-person program. For me, it wasn't a good program. Two things were wrong with it for me. 1. The points program didn't work well. Maybe I didn't convert things well or maybe I took advantage of it too well. Either way it wasn't a good fit. 2. I had no online friends on the WW site. No support. No interaction. No accountability. Not a solitary soul noticed if I disappeared for weeks.

For that reason, MFP works way better for me. All my calories count the same here. I'm accountable for all of it and better foods means better calorie counts. And I have a huge number of active, caring, accountable friends.

IOW, I had a great friend that lost 35 lbs on WW points system before I tried it. So, it all depends on what does or does not work for you.

HTH
  • Mamaincali
    Mamaincali Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's just a simplified version of calorie counting.

Calorie counting is free...

No, its an annoying version of counting calories! Counting plain old calories is simple! Lol
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I followed WW online 7 years ago, lost 60lbs & never gained it back. The resources on their website were extremely helpful, the well researched articles and the tested recipes were amazing, as was the support you received from the boards. You really got your money's worth, just from those things alone. I'm sure for many, the support (AND accountability) you experience at meetings, also makes it worth the fee. Just ignore the leader trying to push every book & product on you & you'll be a-ok.

Would I recommend it for weight loss? Yes.

BUT...

MFP if exactly the same thing, without the professionally written & researched articles or the price tag. You need recipes? We've got that. You need a database of pre-calculated foods? Yeah, we have that too (although everything needs to double checked before selecting it). If you're the type that needs to be held accountable each week for slip-ups, exercise or whatever, you can easily get that here in the community. Join some groups, meet some people & use the boards. What really makes a weight loss program (or lifestyle change) successful is the ease of use & the support structure. If you want chocolate cake at 2am, no one from MFP or WW will slap it out of your hand, BUT, as we're a global community, one post to the message boards about the craving (at any time of the day or night), will receive many responses in just minutes telling you to put it down! Pretty cool, huh?

I would suggest that you try the free option first, and see how it works for you. I'm sure that you could use your money more than a multi-billion dollar corporation could. Then if you are having trouble with it after the first month, try WW for the added guidance & support.

Good luck. Either way you go, you'll win.
  • Glasses01
    Glasses01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did WW and lost some weight which was within in their range of what I should weigh. Not according to my MD. Still over weight.. Started MFP and and now at the weight I should be for my height. I need to count calories in order to lose weight.
  • cjn1943
    Options
    I would not use weight watchers. I really like this program. I've been with mfp for about 2 months & I've lost 13 lbs. My sister was on ww for 6 mo. & she lost 16 lbs. She's been with mfp for 2 mo. & she's lost 15 already!! :flowerforyou:
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I lost ny first 50 pounds on Weight Watchers. I did like that, unlike other weight loss schemes, you could eat just about anything. Nothing was really off limits, but you had to practice portion control and get the bulk of your points from the major food groups. You had a required number of daily points, plus you had optional weekly and exercise points which you could spend on treats, holidays, dining out or special occasions. After years of severe calorie restrictions and lists of foods to avoid, I found a program that I could adapt to a normal person's way of life.

The program is not a fad. It is based on acceptable science, not crackpot theories.

I had to give up Weight Watchers because I could no longer attend meetings. I did the program online for a while, but it didn't seem to work as well. In additition, I developed money issues and some things had to go. Weight Watchers was one of the casualties. Finally, Dr. Oz now has some affiliation with Weight Watchers, and I don't like him at all. I fear that he could turn this good and healthy program into a radical diet. That would be a catastrophe.

But as of now, I would recommend Weight Watchers to anyone who wants to change from unhealthy eating habits, and nor follow some radical crash diet.
  • heididw
    heididw Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you are going to count point you may as well count calories on MyFitnessPal. I think MFP gradually teaches you portion control, while WW just makes you dependent on their products and support. The only tool that has meant I have kept the weight off is MFP. I feel much more empowered to continue to do well and balance my food against my exercise routine. Knowledge is power!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    My vote is no.

WW works. It is glorified calorie counting.

What I don't like about WW is that you don't get any info about the food you are eating. Example: Yesterday's breakfast kept me full til lunch - how many grams of fiber and protein did it have to I can try to replicate it? You don't know on WW.

I am heavy weight lifting and need a certain % of my diet to be protein. Don't know that with WW.

I am anemic and take iron supplements. I *have* to take fiber - I need to know my grams.

Also, figuring out calories is a LOT easier than figuring out points.
  • Bwalton79
    Bwalton79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It does work for some. I use alot of their frozen meals because they taste good and are low in calories but high in fiber. My friends does the points plus and she has lost 26 lbs in about 2 mos. I tried it but didn't loose to much. Counting calories works better for me.
  • chevvy53
    Options
    No I wouldnt I do think that the new pro points is a bit too much having to convert everything but I suspect that they bank on you buying the books to with it all done for you. If the old ponts system was working and they let that run for years its bit disconcerting when they change it all , slimming world have done the same. MFP is the best thing that I have found that gives you a truer picture of the choices you are making. And its free !!! so save your money and do MFP and with what you save treat yourself when you reach certain goals.:smile:
  • Gagsy
    Gagsy Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm currently doing Weight Watchers actually and I'm honestly amazed at how well its going so far. Its actually really easy too once you make yourself stick to the points program and I'm enjoying the food too. I make a lot from scratch and its tasty.

Anyway, try it at least. It may not work for you but it may be the thing you've been waiting for.
  • wmwendt1
    wmwendt1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to MFP - am on Weight Watchers Points system - I joined MFP to check
    On how many calories I was eating in the day on the WW program- I need to
    Know what MFP weight loss plan resembles the WW program? I’ve been told that there is one that resembles the WW program?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    wmwendt1 wrote: »
    Know what MFP weight loss plan resembles the WW program? I’ve been told that there is one that resembles the WW program?

There is no MFP weight loss plan. They give you an estimate of how many calories you should eat per day. You eat that. Still gaining weight after a couple weeks? Eat about 500 calories less. Maintaining but want to lose? Try eating about 250 less. Losing weight at about .5-1 pounds per week? You've figured out your calories you need to lose weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    wmwendt1 wrote: »

As sollyn said, there is no MFP weight loss plan per se.

This is from 2012, but if it still works, might be of use:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/822197/how-to-track-weight-watchers-points-on-mfp
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    Well, there are MFP meal plans. It's a premium feature, only in the phone/tablet app. I have no idea which (if any) of them are more similar to Weight Watchers.

If I were like @wmwendt1, and wanted to know how many calories I was eating on the WW program, I'd keep eating as I had been on the WW program, log the food, and see where the calories came out. But that's just me.
  • liwo81
    liwo81 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did WW and it did work and I know many people who’ve had success with it. I got disenchanted with them constantly changing the whole program and having to relearn everything. Was so frustrating and I ended up having to learn different point values when they changed. I was done when they bought out a company so they could prescribe weight loss drugs. I felt they sold out and gave up their identity. I like MFP so much better and love that I can see the actual nutritional value of what I’m eating.
  • fabgeekmom
    fabgeekmom Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I found that even paying for Premium is less than the 14.95 I would pay monthly for Lifetime membership. I was getting it free but WW moved the meeting too far to drive to to qualify for Lifetime membership. I like MFP better as it’s easier to count calories than points.