Exercise Calories

Options
Are you eating them or not? It says I earned 300 today so I have 700 calories left for dinner. And it says that I can eat this in order to lose. But that puts me at 1800 calories a day intake...which worries me about losing. Will I lose if I eat them? I was not planning on eating them because I am not particularly hungry. Any advice?

Replies

• lkelly
    Options
    What it boils down to, is did you burn more calories today than you consumed? You certainly don't have to eat your exercise calories, and if you're not hungry then there's no real need to... imo at least.
    I tend to follow the saying "You eat to train, not train to eat".
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat mine. I go by my appetite mainly - if I am hungry I eat, if I feel satisfied I don't force myself to eat x number of calories. I am also dubious about some of the calorie burn numbers.
  • kivrinangel
    Options
    I think that you would be able to eat them since you did so much exercise, but don't push yourself to eat if you're not hungry. Relax, eat slowly, and let your stomach and brain have time to talk to each other so that you know when you're full and ready to stop.

Great job on burning 300 calories! How did you do it?
  • irisherin82
    irisherin82 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know what people think on this as well? I've asked the same question but its still a little unclear to me. From what I understand eating the calories back is ok and you'll still lose the weight. And not eating them might help with weight loss to begin with, but in the long run it might hinder the weight loss cause you aren't getting enough calories to fuel your body for the day with the exercise you've done.
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    Some people do and some don't. I eat some of them. I am set at 1200 calories with no exercise and burn over 400 - 700 a day. I eat about 1400-1500 a day.
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat mine.
  • kgraham101
    kgraham101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I always eat my exercise calories. If your supposed to eat 1200 a day and exercise 300 away then you need to eat those 300 back.
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the person, unfortunately you have to test it out -- when I first started, I was NOT eating them back, and I lost but slowly, then after 4 weeks, I started eating them back on the days that I do exercise, and sometimes I eat them all back and sometimes I eat all them back accept about 100-200 of them. I do notice a difference when I eat them back, I have more energy, and you will need that if you are working out 5-6 times a week -- so my recommendation is yes, eat them back, you do not have to eat all of them back, but at least 3/4 of them --- and water, water, water, if you don't, your body will retain water and it will show as a weight gain !! Good luck!!

10344221.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Bottom line : Burn more than you eat ! If your goal is 1200 ... you HAVE to consume that, any extra earned from exercise is free for the taking. If your hungry, eat .. if not .. don't ! If you eat under your initial intake requirements you will stale and go into starvation mode ... making it extremely difficult to lose any weight. Remember those extra calories are a great way to add more color to your diet ... but don't go crazy, extra calories does not = eating garbage late at night ! That to will defeat your best efforts. Hope this helped. :)
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It seems if I eat my exercise calories I loose weight at a much slooower pace. If I need to eat them I do, If I can live without them I do.I don't care that they say we should eat our extra calories.Everybody is different :0)
  • VemmaMom
    VemmaMom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Love that quote and its true! Another one:laugh: I like is "you can out train a bad diet". People think they should work out so they can eat more and eat junk but the simple fact is is that you can easily waste your energys by eating junk while working out so hard. You dont have to eat them. You need a deficit of 3500 to lose a lb a week. Also 1200 cals a day is definitely not enough for a normal person to eat as it is and most good trainers have told me more like 1700 so you dont get into starvation mode.....hope that helps:laugh:
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've been trying NOT to eat mine and there are many days when I just have to, so I eat them and then try not to feel guilty about it. I do seem to lose weight faster when I stick to my origianl calorie goal. For me, it's a tool to stay on the plan and stick with it...
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    MATH IS HARD
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I eat every one of mine and have been losing 1-2lbs per week! Slow and steady..
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Are you eating them or not? It says I earned 300 today so I have 700 calories left for dinner. And it says that I can eat this in order to lose. But that puts me at 1800 calories a day intake...which worries me about losing. Will I lose if I eat them? I was not planning on eating them because I am not particularly hungry. Any advice?

It's simple really...

What are your goals?

Do you want to be skinny? Don't eat them.
    Do you want to be athletic? Eat them.

Problem solved. You can thank me later.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat most of them - leaving me with about 200-300 cals at the end of the day and my weight loss would fluctuate from 1-3 pounds lost a week. BUT I hit a plataue after three months and kept gaining and losing the same pound. This time around, I'm eating the majority of them back (mostly because I have to otherwise I wouldn't have dinner :frown: ) but the weight isn't dropping as quickly but it's more consistant.

The choice is yours!