Rich, creamy delicious butternut squash soup

Options
chris6515
chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
OMG I think this is the best thing I've had in ages and it is so easy and low-cal. Take a butternut squash (and this is the hardest part) and peel it with a potato peeler, Then cut off the stem, cut the neck from the round part, and cut the round part in half. Scoop out the seeds and pulp. Dice the rest of the squash in about 1 inch pieces. Chop half a large onion., quarter 2 cloves of garlic, and saute the garlic and onion in about 2 TBS olive oil or butter. ( I used olive oil). Do this in a large soup pot. Then dump in your diced squash and pour enough vegetable broth or chicken broth to cover all. I added about a 1/2 tsp of grated fresh ginger although the recipe did not call for it. Bring to a boil, then turn temp down to simmer until squash is tender. Puree spoonfuls in a blender or processer a little at a time, pouring into the serving bowl as it is pureed. Add more or less of the cooking broth to reach your desired consistancy. Season with just a tiny sprinkle of curry, cumin, cinnamon and nutmeg. Another recipe calls for only salt and pepper to taste, so use what you like. This was perfect for a cool fall day, so pretty, and so delicious and creamy you will think you are cheating!

Replies