Gym classes.

Options
Geeze.. after 4 months of having a gym membership, I can't believe I haven't tried ONE gym class. Our local gym offers classes like Pilates, Spinning/Cycling, Zumba, Yoga, etc. I guess i'm a bit nervous to try a first class on my own since I'm always at the gym by myself.. but I would love to try one to get better results for toning more as well. What class do you recommend MFP?? And how was your first day? :)

Replies

• easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The classes are such good drive aspects! I love RPM! I'm a cyclist and it keeps me going in the off-season. It's way better than an indoor trainer (tried that). Also, BodyPump is another good one for learning lots of different exercises for various muscle groups. I get such an adrenaline kick from the classes. You go girl!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Spinning/Group Cycling is my favorite! I take it and BodyPump at my gym.
    Both are great classes. The first time taking spinning will leave your butt sore but you get to use to it really fast.
  • eyoungone05
    Options
    I work at 24 hr fitness in Brea Ca and we have a class called BodyBump and I HEARD that it is awesome. I have been trying to get the energy to try out a abs class that only certain gyms offer. Hopefully I'll get the stamina to try it this Thursday
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest with you here. I switched gyms in fall 2009. My gym closed and did not offer a lot of classes that worked with my schedule. My new gym has classes at 6:30pm and that is perfect. The teachers are amazing!

The one class I was taking before that I miss was Tai Chi (they do not offer that where I am now).

The first time I tried Zumba (spring 2011) I was hooked. The teacher is really fantastic. Plus, I burn a ton of calories in that class. I have a friend who changed her life due to Zumba...she lost 35 lbs and got certified to teach it. My classes at my gym have both men and women in them (which I like because quite honestly a guy is not going to waste his hour in a class that is not worth it).

The first time I tried my Centergy class (a combination of Power Yoga and Pilates set to popular music) I actually started to cry at the end. It was the class I was looking for all these years. Good tunes, a great teacher who was understanding to my limitations physically, great calorie burn, and works every single muscle.

If you take 2-3 classes per week of something new to you, you will never look back. Trust me. Even try martial arts or something.
  • britneythe299
    Options
    I LOVE the kickboxing classes, they are awesome and a great workout too. Zumba, hip hop, Burlesque, and belly dancing are also tons of fun plus u don't even realize how hard your working til your finished.. I was like you at 1st but when I went in the class for the 1st time, I found a couple of nice people who helped me out.
  • MBU2011
    Options
    Zumba is by far the most fun you can have in a cardio class. It is almost as fun as being out at a club and you don't even realize how many calories you are burning. You should definitely give it a shot!! Have a great time.
  • lannlynn
    lannlynn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Zumba is by far my favorite class! I love it. I've done just about all of them except for spin. I also enjoy kick boxing.

Just try one and see what you enjoy the most. My advise is to try it more than once because sometimes it get overwhelming for a new person especially if you have trouble following the steps or moves, some people get discouraged if they can't keep up. That takes time!

Good luck!
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I tried spinning for the first time last week and loved it. It's an early morning class and with the dim lights and music, it's really just all about you and not anyone else. Loved that while there were people around me, there wasn't any choreography involved. 2 classes down and I've now made it a part of my weekly routine. Just show up early for your first class and the instructor will set up your bike for you and tell you what settings you need for the next time.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    One of my teachers says you have to try 3-4 classes before you decide if that class is for you.
  • hanky1
    Options
    Body attack is my most favourite class EVER and I'm gutted my current gym doesn't do it. It's a aerobics-type class with fantastic music and it's really fun! There are lots of options for people who are a bit less fit so you don't have to kill yourself when you first start. It also incorporates some push ups, sit ups etc so it's a good all round workout.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    If there are any aqua gym classes you can try those too, they are fun! In my gym it's a lot of older people, I'm guessing because it's really easy on the joints but I need that sometimes since I have weak knees, I try to not overdo it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I recommend...

...trying a few different classes until you find one or two you love. Ideally you'll end up taking a mix of cardio with a strength class, and probably good to add in a stretchy/core one like pilates too.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you don't like a class, don't assume it's the material. I took yoga at my gym from two teachers and I liked one but not the other.
  • 160poundgirl
    Options
    Spin is tough on my butt (never got used to it) but its a great work out. Zumba is the BEST.
    Try them all and pick your fav- its great for those days where you need motivation to go to the gymn. All the best!! Let us know how you like them
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Zumba is my FAVORITE!! Best cardio EVER! I miss Zumba class soooooo much, but between working full time in the days and grad school classes in the evenings, I'm not free for any of them this semester :/

I also like Pilates, depending on the instructor. It feels like a really good workout every time I'm done.

I hate Spin, because the seats hurt my butt-region a LOT... I actually had bruising, and it was painful to sit for DAYS...
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Another vote for RPM / Spinning.

Yoga is good, too, if the atmosphere is right and it's the kind of Yoga you want (I only do Power yoga, as I find the slower kind a bit frustrating. But that's just me ;) ).
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    That was why I joined, as I was going to Amazon Total Body Workout, it was cheaper for me to join the gym, I did and I now go to spin and core blimey!!

When I have time I run in the gym, I love it!!

But yeah, my butt also hurts from the spin bikes. I have not liked bike riding since I came off pillion... Years ago... So spin is perfect for me xx