Inaccurate calcium numbers

Options
ruinsane
ruinsane Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a free my fitness pal member. I was considering upgrading because I need to track my calcium intake. I am over 50, eat a plant based diet, and have mild osteopenia. I looked at the phone app which shows daily RDA percentages of calcium, and they are way off (showing over 100% when I am closer to maybe 10%). Has anybody noticed this problem, and if so, how do you accurately track calcium intake?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    ruinsane wrote: »
    I am a free my fitness pal member. I was considering upgrading because I need to track my calcium intake. I am over 50, eat a plant based diet, and have mild osteopenia. I looked at the phone app which shows daily RDA percentages of calcium, and they are way off (showing over 100% when I am closer to maybe 10%). Has anybody noticed this problem, and if so, how do you accurately track calcium intake?

Free and Premium use the same exact database. The database by and large is crowdsourced from users over the years. That being the case, there are numerous entries that are either bad all around, or missing certain things because a particular user entered something, and that particular user only really cared about the calories and the protein or whatever the case may be.

In my experience, accurately tracking micro-nutrients with MFP is a complete crap shoot. If particular nutrients aren't included on a food label, a user isn't going to put them in...if a user doesn't particularly care about certain nutrients when they're making an entry to the database, they're not going to put them in...etc, etc, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    As others have said, premium uses the same database as the free version.

I'm anemic and verify/update iron for every single USER entered item, as they are mostly wrong.

I've never had an issue with micro nutrients with ADMIN created entries that come from the USDA database.

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

The USDA changed the platform for their database in 2019 and it is unfortunately a little more difficult to use. I uncheck everything but “SR Legacy” - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust the numbers completely. A supplement is a good idea.
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,728 Member
    Options
    It's difficult because there are members from all over the world inputting the nutrition data for the product in their region, and nutrition label requirements vary across the world. I am in Australia, and I buy a locally-sourced milk. Obviously I know that milk contains calcium, but the nutrition label regulations here don't require that the producer include it, so they don't. As such, any calcium in the milk I use, I can't track on MFP unless I estimate how much based on other, similar products and create my own entry in the food database including this estimate.
    If you're looking to track a specific micronutrient like calcium, you're going to need to verify the data on every entry you make, I'm afraid!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I tracked on nutritiondata.com for years. MFP has more logging features, but nutritiondata’s database entries are all verified (usda) and entries include comprehensive micronutrient information. If micronutrient accuracy is important, give it a look.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Yes!! I am over 60, eat a plant based diet and HAVE osteoporosis! MFP has my numbers very high. My calcium goal is 100 and yesterday I was at 342. I am taking a calcium supplement daily and decided to take it every other day. After reading this post I am going back to taking it every day. Thanks for the post.
  • cherylhoover1
    cherylhoover1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just recently started tracking calcium and I'm seeing the same thing. They're putting the mg of calcium as the % of daily total. So the example here makes sense. I'm going to open a ticket to try to discuss this because there's no benefit to me paying for this app for tracking if the nutrients they're putting in for basic foods aren't correct.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Just recently started tracking calcium and I'm seeing the same thing. They're putting the mg of calcium as the % of daily total. So the example here makes sense. I'm going to open a ticket to try to discuss this because there's no benefit to me paying for this app for tracking if the nutrients they're putting in for basic foods aren't correct.

"They" being MFP don't put nutrients into the database. As has been explained throughout this thread, the database is crowdsourced from other users, not MFP.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    sarah7591 wrote: »

Yes!! I am over 60, eat a plant based diet and HAVE osteoporosis! MFP has my numbers very high. My calcium goal is 100 and yesterday I was at 342. I am taking a calcium supplement daily and decided to take it every other day. After reading this post I am going back to taking it every day. Thanks for the post.

Speaking as someone who also has osteoporosis (F, age 67) . . . I'd suggest a different approach.

Why? Too much calcium may not be ideal, either. Certainly too much isn't necessary.

I acknowledge that intake levels for therapeutic reasons may differ, but just as an illustration, the US RDA for older women (both 51-70 and 70+) is 1200mg. The recommended tolerable upper limit is 2000mg. If your 342 is an actual accurate percent (or close), you'd be getting over 4000mg of calcium already.

What I'd suggest instead, and what I personally do for nutrients of concern to me for which MFP database's accuracy is suspect: I pick out 2-3 fairly typical days of eating that I've logged. Then I go to a sound source like the USDA FoodData Central Database** and look up the items. (I may start with items I know have the nutrient, or something like that, to minimize how much I need to look up.)

**https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/

I add up the actual values from that better source. If my typical days are in good shape, I figure I'm OK.

Personally, I don't like supplementing when I don't need to. Sure, it's more expensive, but in some cases it can increase health risks rather than reducing them. Calcium isn't a super scary nutrient from an overdose toxicity standpoint, but I feel that way even about the less risky ones. YMMV.

There's specific information about calcium here:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-HealthProfessional/

US NIH has a long list of nutrient and supplement fact sheets and other resources here:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/list-all/

There are consumer versions of the factsheets, but I prefer the "for professionals" ones, because they're more detailed and include links to the research they're relying on. I haven't found them to be too technical for me as an average consumer.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Let us know how that goes. Years back, I tried to have erroneous values for ADMIN-created entries fixed, and got nowhere. MFP won't address errors with USER-created entries.

I'll reiterate that premium uses the same database as the free version, so no, you do not have to pay to track.

See below for what I did when I was anemic and tracking iron.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    As others have said, premium uses the same database as the free version.

I'm anemic and verify/update iron for every single USER entered item, as they are mostly wrong.

I've never had an issue with micro nutrients with ADMIN created entries that come from the USDA database.

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

The USDA changed the platform for their database in 2019 and it is unfortunately a little more difficult to use. I uncheck everything but “SR Legacy” - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

• cherylhoover1
    cherylhoover1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

"They" being MFP don't put nutrients into the database. As has been explained throughout this thread, the database is crowdsourced from other users, not MFP.

In my discussions with MFP, they've claimed that they do provide the data for many of the products in the database. You can tell the difference when you review a product. If it says member submitted, then a customer provided the data. If it doesn't say that, then they sourced the data elsewhere.
  • kshama2001
    Options

In my discussions with MFP, they've claimed that they do provide the data for many of the products in the database. You can tell the difference when you review a product. If it says member submitted, then a customer provided the data. If it doesn't say that, then they sourced the data elsewhere.

What's an example of an ADMIN-created entry that is incorrect?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

Some of them seem to have had errors introduced when they ran a database-wide "fix" to add metric-unit servings to entries that only had imperial units, and ended up with the values for 1 gram being 100X what they should be. Or the infamous (but I think finally fixed) clove of garlic with more than a thousand calories (the secret was to choose the three-clove serving, and say you had 0.33 of a serving). It had both mass and per-clove servings, and I believe volume servings as well, so that had to have been an admin-created entry.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Some of them seem to have had errors introduced when they ran a database-wide "fix" to add metric-unit servings to entries that only had imperial units, and ended up with the values for 1 gram being 100X what they should be. Or the infamous (but I think finally fixed) clove of garlic with more than a thousand calories (the secret was to choose the three-clove serving, and say you had 0.33 of a serving). It had both mass and per-clove servings, and I believe volume servings as well, so that had to have been an admin-created entry.

These I know about. Plus the cup of pecans with zero calories. Ditto for broccoli, but, compared to pecans, who cares :lol:

I've never seen any micro values that were odd, however.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

These I know about. Plus the cup of pecans with zero calories. Ditto for broccoli, but, compared to pecans, who cares :lol:

I've never seen any micro values that were odd, however.

Good point. After reading the whole thread, I guess I forgot what the original issue was.