Replies

• deannaboo
    deannaboo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Is all fried chicken bad I took the skin off the wings and fried it .:sick:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    yep pretty much ..olive oil is high in calories and fat ..its the good fats but too much of a good thing is simply too much..you would be better off trying to find an oven fried option..
  • kimmundt
    kimmundt Posts: 19
    Options
    dark meat chicken really isnt that good for you. It's very high in fat.

The Olive oil is a great choice to use instead of Vegetable oil but if you use too much it will throw you out of your goal, I would maybe use Extra Virgin next time.

I like to oven Fry my chciken.

I make a parmesean cheese, parsely, garlic, and whole wheat bread crumb coating. Dredge the chicken in the EVOO and then dredge it in the cheese mixture. Bake it uncovered for 15 minutes on about 400 to sear it, then turn it down to 350 till the juices run clear.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    No it's not so bad. If you deep fry it at the proper temperature very little of the oil in absorbed into the meat/breading. Olive oil just smokes easy so I use canola or vegetable oil.
  • gggivens
    gggivens Posts: 46
    Options
    Do not deep fry in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The smoke point is too low and the food will burn before it is able to cook through. Deep frying is best done in Peanut Oil, unless you are allergic. It has a very high smoke point, and no flavor of it's own.

If you like it, 'oven fried' is a good alternative. You can use Fiber One cereal or cornflakes or the like to bread it- remove the skin, dip the chicken in non-fat buttermilk, and then coat it and cook on Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick Foil. No fat needed.

If you really WANT actual fried chicken, try using a George Foreman Spin Fryer. It raises the food out of the oil after it is cooked, and then spins around to fling off the oil that clings that would normally be reabsorbed when the food cools.

I use my Spin Fryer to make my son french fries and chicken strips or chunks. After the food cooks and spins, you cannot eaven blot any oil off with a paper towel, and your fingers don't feel greasy. Also, the level of the oil does not drop even after multiple batches, which shows that most of it does not get absorbed. It was a wonderful Christmas Present this year!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    look at the wide ranging answers to this question....so...who is right? they cant all be right...I am confused,,,I love fried chicken but cant eat it until I am where I want to be...so...keep waiting?

oh I miss Popeye's:frown:
  • kimmundt
    Options
    look at the wide ranging answers to this question....so...who is right? they cant all be right...I am confused,,,I love fried chicken but cant eat it until I am where I want to be...so...keep waiting?

LOL, Dave!

I do not allow Vegetable Oil in my home, but some dont seem too worried about it.

I meant to dredge the chicken in EVOO before oven "frying". I havent had any trouble with it burning, but then again I dont fry it on the stove.

I just dont really fry anything anymore.

I think the suggestions about fiber one cereal are a great one. Canola oil and Olive oil are about the safest bet for someone worried about cholesteral and Trans fats.

I do not eat dark meat chicken or any other kind of bird, like Turkey or hens.
    Also, hit fatty beef is one that I stay away from like briscuit .

but this is about fried chicken....
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    If you want to fry foods don't forget that Smart Balance makes a decent oil for frying as well
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

The Olive oil is a great choice to use instead of Vegetable oil but if you use too much it will throw you out of your goal, I would maybe use Extra Virgin next time.

I make a parmesean cheese, parsely, garlic, and whole wheat bread crumb coating. Dredge the chicken in the EVOO and then dredge it in the cheese mixture. Bake it uncovered for 15 minutes on about 400 to sear it, then turn it down to 350 till the juices run clear.

The chicken who convinced you that dark meat is not healthy is a smart chicken, he saved himself that day, but you are very misinformed on this one.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Oh Dave,

I used to love Popeye's myself until I heard the story about the rat and I couldn't eat it anymore. Now I am a Bojangles girl. (I stopped watching the news so Bojangles cannot be ruined for me):wink: Plus my dad reminded me that rat is meat too. I guess anything can taste good properly seasoned.:laugh:

Plus, I am a moderation kinda girl. Nothing is off limits for me except the lard. I stay away from the lard.

Sorry for the Hijack

• kimmundt
    Options

The chicken who convinced you that dark meat is not healthy is a smart chicken, he saved himself that day, but you are very misinformed on this one.

LOL, my heart doctor did
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    dark meat isn't bad for you, we had a debate about this not long ago. It is a bit higher in fat but it;s also higher in a lot of GOOD things. I love my dark meat. That said, since it's already higher in fat, try baking or grilling it instead. Olive oil IS good for you (in small amounts of course) but adding extra fat to something that is already higher in fat doesn't make for the most balanced meal. It's not a bad thing once in awhile but it'd be a good idea to explore other options of cooking it as well. :flowerforyou:
  • molsongirl
    Options
    dark meat isn't bad for you, we had a debate about this not long ago. It is a bit higher in fat but it;s also higher in a lot of GOOD things. I love my dark meat. That said, since it's already higher in fat, try baking or grilling it instead. Olive oil IS good for you (in small amounts of course) but adding extra fat to something that is already higher in fat doesn't make for the most balanced meal. It's not a bad thing once in awhile but it'd be a good idea to explore other options of cooking it as well. :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the backup, not all docs are right either....this is what Iposted from that thread that you mentioned...

The primary reason dark meat has been labeled bad - besides a large contingency of political agenda - is saturated fat content. Unfortunately, the general public was considered too dumb to understand the difference between saturated verses other fats. I cannot accept that.

Dark Meats
    Dark meats simply have more myoglobin proteins, the magic stuff that ships oxygen to the muscle cells.

Dark meats must use myoglobins as they transfer oxygen more efficiently to the muscles than glycogen. Muscles used more frequently, get to be dark. This is why non-flying poultry drumsticks are dark meat, while breast meat is white.

When dark meat is cooked it turns the myoglobins to metmyoglobins, which is brown/gray. Metmyoglobins are very high in iron (albeit there is not that much in dark meat in the first place).

White Meat
    White meat gets the 'juice' through glycogen. Glycogen is a polysaccharide of glucose, an animal starch. Animal starch is stored primarily in the liver and broken down into glucose when needed by the white muscle.

Nutritional Comparison
    Dark meats tend to contain more zinc, riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, vitamins B6 and B12, amino acids, iron than white meat. Dark beef meat contains about 11 times more zinc than tuna, and about 3 times as much iron than raw spinach. Chicken dark meat contain vitamins A, K, B6, B12, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, minerals as selenium, phosphorus and zinc.

Even the fats in most of the dark meats have healthy parts. They contain Omega-3, and Omega-6 fatty acids, and other ‘healthy’ fats.
  • kimmundt
    Options

This was exactly my point. dark meat is higher in fat, so when someone is trying to lose weight and also needing to watch their fat intake for heart reasons, dark meat and high fatty beef isnt the best idea.

Which is what I have to do.

When it comes to people with heart problems, I dont think dark meat is a good thing
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    so......once again a clear cut answer to the op...NOT.....t

he thread got hijacked by darkmeatheads...we all know white meat tastes better,,,,whether dark meat is good or not....WHO CARES?

we are talkin fried chicken here,.,,,so...is there a good healthy fried chicken or not? good lord save us from the flood
  • molsongirl
    Options

he thread got hijacked by darkmeatheads...we all know white meat tastes better,,,,whether dark meat is good or not....WHO CARES?

we are talkin fried chicken here,.,,,so...is there a good healthy fried chicken or not? good lord save us from the flood

k....you're just as off topic here, you added nothing to the convo....lol:laugh: , so what's the verdict good or bad? for all of us darkmeatheads, who just don't get it:wink:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

I don't think it tastes better... I think it tastes the same actually. I do like white meat... but if I roast chicken I'm not going to let the rest of the meat go to waste. I usually use the dark meak in my soups and other leftover dishes because I find it to be MORE flavourful (probably due to the extra fat).

and to the poster above that, yep, absolutely, if fat is a health concern due to heart problems that's something to consider, but it isn't for me. DOn't know about the original poster. In general though, dark meat isn't "bad for you". There are always a million ways to look at one thing. but, if you like dark meat and are heart healthy, there's nothing wrong with enjoying it, in regular sized portions, in moderation :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

sorry I reminded you of Popeyes Dave!:cry:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

sorry I reminded you of Popeyes Dave!:cry:

ya...meanie jeannie...its all your fault dang it:laugh: