Slip ups

Options
Are they good Or bad.. Say what you think and what you slipped on..

I slipped up on homemade Pecan turtle Cookies 4 of them

Replies

• firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    They are...inevitable...

Mine today was a Sonic Hot Dog and ice cream cone.

I don't regret it (need a drooly smiley on here).
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to go enjoy a big tall margarita or two..
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    We are human, we slip up. Move onward.....:smile:
  • Arrica
    Arrica Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It happens...

I had Taco Bell today. At least I chose chicken fresco tacos so I don't feel too horrible about it. :-)
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    DH is getting ready to deploy. Exercise has slacked and we've had several family dinners out and date nights. I've tried to work it in, but I've been struggling not to feel guilty about my multiple slip ups. I keep telling myself it's not enough to cause weight gain so I need to relax.
  • TheMerryPup
    TheMerryPup Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'd like to slip and fall face first into a pile of those!:smile:

I have about 2 or 3 planned slips throughout the week. I don't consider what I'm on a diet. It's an eating plan for life and I don't want it to be bleak. Even with the added treats I'm still losing so just plan well for them.
  • thoroneil
    thoroneil Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I have about 2 or 3 planned slips throughout the week. I don't consider what I'm on a diet. It's an eating plan for life and I don't want it to be bleak. Even with the added treats I'm still losing so just plan well for them.
  • thoroneil
    thoroneil Posts: 96 Member
    Options

They were being made when i walked in.. i couldnt resist the smell
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Recently, I hit the skids for 2 to 3 weeks after doing pretty well for two and a half months. It's harder for me to stick to the plan when I have a bunch of time off from work and my day isn't largely occupied. So the slip ups were a few meals out, mostly on my regular days off, where I did have some bread and some rice, and I caved and ate a bunch of candy and snacked outside of my parameters for a week and a half, mostly on what I had around in the house, which wasn't too bad. I have made an effort to not bring trigger food home. But I managed to stay mostly within the framework of what I've been doing, took the same lunch to work as what I have been bringing, and ate the same breakfast. It did take some doing though to get back onto the wagon and I finally did that two days ago. I thought I must have regained up to 5 lbs, which I would have accepted, but luckily I didn't do any damage. I'm not sure how I didn't. I still have a ways to go, so it was a good surprise that I didn't regain. The big advantage is my mindset now, to just accept my screwups, move forward and do better. That seems to be sticking, which I am happy with.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,435 Member
    Options
    They just happen. And even if you've even twice your allocated calories this doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Worst case you gain a bit more waterweight or food intestines weight, best case you have a bog bowel movement because more fat for example, and a bit of constipation resolved itself.
  • MovinNow
    MovinNow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    @Zilla100 I love your mindset “accept my screwups, move forward and do better”. This is exactly the thing that is helping me be successful. In the past, I’ve been “all or nothing”, and once I got derailed would just give up.Now, I just say to myself, “it’s ok, it happens, and every day is a new start”. Glad you’re back on track!
  • Cats_fitness_journey
    Options
    Try to eat everything in moderation. It’s important to have balance, maybe you aren’t eating enough sugar and your body is telling you to eat more? Or not, sometimes we need cookies 🙌
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Try to eat everything in moderation. It’s important to have balance, maybe you aren’t eating enough sugar and your body is telling you to eat more? Or not, sometimes we need cookies 🙌

lol, If I went with what my body tells me in regards to sugar and moderation, I'd weight 800 lbs.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think slip ups are ok if we limit them to just that occurrence and don’t let it keep going throughout the day or next day and keep it to a minimum and not a frequent occurrence.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,417 Member
    Options
    The OP is from 2012, and the person who posted it hasn't been active here since 2016. I think they're beyond our advice.
    Zilla100 wrote: »
    Recently, I hit the skids for 2 to 3 weeks after doing pretty well for two and a half months. It's harder for me to stick to the plan when I have a bunch of time off from work and my day isn't largely occupied. So the slip ups were a few meals out, mostly on my regular days off, where I did have some bread and some rice, and I caved and ate a bunch of candy and snacked outside of my parameters for a week and a half, mostly on what I had around in the house, which wasn't too bad. I have made an effort to not bring trigger food home. But I managed to stay mostly within the framework of what I've been doing, took the same lunch to work as what I have been bringing, and ate the same breakfast. It did take some doing though to get back onto the wagon and I finally did that two days ago. I thought I must have regained up to 5 lbs, which I would have accepted, but luckily I didn't do any damage. I'm not sure how I didn't. I still have a ways to go, so it was a good surprise that I didn't regain. The big advantage is my mindset now, to just accept my screwups, move forward and do better. That seems to be sticking, which I am happy with.

@Zilla100, you've done really great getting things back on track - and doing so pretty calmly, it sounds like, which is even better. (Guilt or catastrophizing about extra eating doesn't burn any extra calories, and it usually feels icky, so there's no point in that emotional reaction, even though it's a common reaction.)

I'd point out that in order to gain 5 pounds, you'd need to have eaten at least 17,500 calories above your maintenance calories (not just above your MFP goal) in that week and a half. There are reasons why the gain might be less than that, if it's an unusual jump in calories, but I won't belabor that.

While I personally absolutely could eat an average of 1750 calories above my maintenance level for 10 days, it really is kind of a lot of food.

You say "slip ups were a few meals out, mostly on my regular days off, where I did have some bread and some rice, and I caved and ate a bunch of candy and snacked outside of my parameters for a week and a half, mostly on what I had around in the house, which wasn't too bad." That really doesn't sound like 17,500 calories above maintenance, though I can't be sure.

As long as overages stay rare and somewhat moderate, the impact on overall weight loss won't be huge. Obviously, if we can find a routine that avoids overages happening, that's ideal. Getting back to a healthy routine as soon as possible is also a great response, if and when they do happen.

I think you're going to be very successful, given your level-headed handling of the situation.

I'm going to leave the 2012 people back in 2012, though ;) .