How much Potassium do you get a day?

Options
I've been having moments of lightheadedness. It could be cause by a number of things, but I wondered if it was related to my diet. A possible cause, I understand, is low potassium, and from what I've discovered online I should have about 4700mg /day. According to my diary tho, looks like I'm getting under 1200mg. Whoa! That's a big difference!

I wanted to compare with other members if this is something they watch for in their diet, and suggestion on what they do.

Replies

• McGruber03
    Options
    I got light headed when I was anemic.
  • flutechick65
    flutechick65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana a day. I have discovered that I am sodium sensitive and have cut all extra salt from my diet. Also eating bananas for potassium. I feel great and dropped 4 lbs of water weight in 4 days. No side effects. The only time I was ever really deficient in potassium was when I had extreme morning sickness. You should be able to get enough potassium in the food you eat.
  • jessica_mom343
    jessica_mom343 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm curious too because I have alot of water retention and was put on a fluid pill a few years ago. While researching today I read that potassium being to low can cause it.
  • SportySpiceVT
    SportySpiceVT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i don't come anywhere near mine either and I get light-headed, dizzy a lot too. Even when I try to eat high potassium foods I'm never even close! I'm curious what people are eating who are hitting their goal.
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I typically get anywhere from 3500-4000 mg per day (I've been slacking lately thought) It was hard at first but after adding things like kale, spinach, orange juice, soy milk, and an extra banana to my diet it has become pretty routine. Since making the change my blood pressure has dropped tremendously (especially since I keep my sodium well under 1500 on a typical day) and I don't retain as much fluid anymore.
  • SportySpiceVT
    Options
    a banana only has about 450 or less of potassium so even one a day, won't get you very far! does anyone take a potassium supplement?
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I take a potassium supplement prescribed by my doctor. She also carefully monitors my potassium levels every quarter. Too low are too high levels of potassium can be dangerous so I would check with a doctor first (if possible) before self prescribing. Be well!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I don't normally track it..but I changed my settings to include it.

MFP says my goal is 3500 -- but I can't find a day where I was ever over 1000 -- normally its 500-800

I found an interesting article here:
    http://www.mcvitamins.com/Vitamins/potassium.htm

I already eat quite a few of the foods on the list -- my blood pressure is always great when I have it checked.
    I think the lack of it showing on your diary here is due primarily to user error when adding it to the database -- or the fact its just not on the label to begin with...

Potassium is high in the following:

Avocado - 1/2 medium - 550 mg
    Banana - 1 medium - 451
    Beef, ground - 3 ounces - 205
    Black beans - 1 cup - 801
    Broccoli, cooked - 1/2 cup - 228
    Cantaloupe - 1 cup - 494
    Carrot, raw - 1 medium - 233
    Cauliflower, cooked - 1/2 cup - 200
    Chicken - 3 ounces - 195
    Chickpeas - 1 cup - 477
    Corn - 1/2 cup - 204
    Flounder - 3 ounces - 292
    Kidney beans - 1 cup - 713
    Kiwi - 1 medium - 252
    Lentils - 1 cup - 731
    Milk - 8 ounces - 381
    Okra - 1/2 cup - 257
    Orange - 1 medium - 250
    Orange juice - 8 ounces - 474
    Potatoes, baked with skin - 1 medium - 844
    Prune Juice - 8 ounces - 706
    Spinach, cooked - 1/2 cup - 419
    Strawberries - 1 cup - 247
    Sweet potatoes - 1 medium - 397
    Tomato - 1 medium - 397
    Tomato juice - 6 ounces - 658
    Watermelon - 1 cup - 186
    Wheat Germ - 1/4 cup - 259
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that potassium is not required to be shown on nutrition labels here in the US. So a food that has potassium but doesn't have it shown on it's nutrition label will results in a lower potassium level on your food diary. And don't forget about the entries that only show calories in the database.

With that said, potassium deficiency is really not common and when present is usually not caused by inadequacies in one's diet. My guess is that it's related to iron or too much sodium/not enough water.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    From another article:

Why not simply take a supplement? Dietary sources of potassium are better tolerated then pharmacologic preparations, experts agree. They may be necessary to those who take diuretic medications because these drugs help the body lose excess water but also deplete the potassium supply. You should be getting about 3500 milligrams.

Too much potassium ( more than 5000 milligrams) can upset the balance of minerals in your body and cause heart and kidney problems. Other potential side effects include muscle weakness, tingling in the hands, feet or tongue and a slow or irregular pulse.

People with diabetes or kidney disease should consult their doctor before taking potassium supplements, as should people on certain medications, including anti-inflammatory drugs, ACE inhibitors and heart medicines such as heparin.
  • cacraft
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! It was really very helpful.

First - I've made an appt with my Dr for tomorrow to make sure nothing else is out of whack.
    Second - I'm going to double check the nutritional values of foods that I choose from the database to ensure that they include the right amounts of potassium.
  • mattellis2
    Options
    sweet potatoes and cantaloupe are loaded with potassium, too.
  • SportySpiceVT
    Options
    I made chili tonight to attempt to hit my potassium goal. It had kidney beans, diced tomatoes, V8, and hamburger. I still only got 2500 in for the day. But the chili was good and relatively low-cal
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I take a supplement because my potassium is always low. I've read an article that typical folks in the US don't get enough potassium daily.

That being said, be REALLY careful if you start taking a supplement. Excess potassium can be just as bad as too little. I recommend discussing it with your doctor before you do anything different.
  • mattellis2
    Options
    as a follow up, i hit 4000 mg of potassium yesterday, between the tomatoes, fruit and pinto beans (1100 mg in 1.5 cups of cooked pinto beans!)
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that instead of hitting specific goals for potassium/sodium it's important to try and keep them ~equal (with more potassium if possible). It has something to do with biology .. they 'cancel' each other out so to speak .. don't quote me on this it's been a few years since hs bio :)
  • cacraft
    Options
    Follow - up...

Went to see the Dr yesterday (she was sooo impressed with my progress. pat pat)

I asked her about if I should be monitoring my potassium and iron and she said if I was eating healthy then my body would look after balancing all that out and I didn't need to worry about it. Watching my carbs, protein, fibre and fats is enough.
  • aquaponics
    Options
    I'm looking into very high potassium foods like kale and swiss chard. There are also these "no salt" options where it's basically salt made from potassium instead of sodium. I just ordered some, but it says it tastes the same. Here's to hoping! :smile:

According to the University of Illinois Extension, a cup of chopped chard has the following:

Nutrition Facts
    (1 cup chopped)
    Calories 35
    Protein 3 grams
    Carbohydrates 7 grams
    Calcium 102 mg
    Iron 4 mg
    Magnesium 151 mg
    Phosphorus 58 mg
    Potassium 960 mg <-- :happy:
    Sodium 313 mg
    Vitamin C 32 mg
    Folate 15 mcg
    Vitamin 5493 IU
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! It was really very helpful.

First - I've made an appt with my Dr for tomorrow to make sure nothing else is out of whack.
    Second - I'm going to double check the nutritional values of foods that I choose from the database to ensure that they include the right amounts of potassium.
    Keep in mind that potassium is not a required nutrient for nutrition labels, so most entries won't show potassium in the database, because the amounts aren't listed on the label.
    I read somewhere that instead of hitting specific goals for potassium/sodium it's important to try and keep them ~equal (with more potassium if possible). It has something to do with biology .. they 'cancel' each other out so to speak .. don't quote me on this it's been a few years since hs bio :)
    Sodium and potassium are responsible for transporting nerve (or maybe brain) impulses I believe. Sodium takes them one way, potassium handles the return trip. So yes, keeping them both in balance is key.
  • aquaponics
    Options
    Sodium and potassium are responsible for transporting nerve (or maybe brain) impulses I believe. Sodium takes them one way, potassium handles the return trip. So yes, keeping them both in balance is key.
    I think what he was referring to was the ratio recommended by (among other places) National Institute of Health that has to do with the interactions of these 2 nutrients during the absorption/uptake into our systems. Since they are so chemically similar, having too much sodium can essentially "lock out" the potassium or at least inhibit it's absorption/uptake (which is why they recommend you consume more potassium when you have more sodium).