Alternatives to sugar hit for workout?

Options
I personally find my life is better when I avoid sugar.

But it provides a really nice hit to fuel a workout. I definitely notice better performance when I eat a sweetened snack before working out.

But I don’t like the other effects on me!

Any suggestions? My ideas:

- just quit eating sugar and deal with whatever level I can work out at

- try stuff like blending fruit into smoothies which might allow a bit of a carb rush but not as extreme

- just eat the sugar and make it count

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Banana!
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Bananas hit good?

Ok, I’ll try it 👍
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Sure, shortly before workout.

And often a coffee 1-2 hours before.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Carbs ARE sugar. Fruit has sugar. For a rush? Caffeine.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but fruit doesn’t have the same effect on me as cane sugar et al.

Gonna try the banana and tea.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    A bagel or banana provide carbs without being likely to upset your stomach. An apple or applesauce is also a possibility. Still sweet, but no added sugar.
  • Rodney_Mckay
    Rodney_Mckay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You don't need sugar in its refined form, you can cut those out completely if you can. Replace with high quality carbs 2h before and right after your workout, like rice (preferably brown), pasta (whole wheat), couscous, bulgur, oats etc. To use your expression, yes they hit good. :D You will feel a lot better during exercise and recover better, waaay better than just downing sugar in any form.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    When you say you typically will eat something sweet...what are we talking? Bc the banana (or other fruit) suggestion is good...but also you could look into some running gels. Usually they are ~20-25g of simple carbs that can fuel a workout, especially if you are doing a moderate/high intensity one. They aren't like...candy or pastries or anything and come in all kinds of flavors (some with caffeine too). Just suck em down as you're getting ready to head to the gym. Or ~1/2hr into your workout if it's a longer one.

Edit: will run you ~100 calories...same as a banana.
  • scavonedan
    scavonedan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a coffee when I wake up (no added sugar) then after about 15 minutes or so I do a run. I at times bring some seedless oranges or those mini ones you put in kids lunches. That helps get me going. I don't "work out" per se so I really don't worry about getting all carb'd up etc.