What food have you had to entirely forgo?

Options
I have found that I had to give up hummus. I like it too much and eat way to much of it when its around. It is so calorie dense and delicious. I can blow my entire day's calories on one 8oz tub and a sleeve of Ritz™.

Replies

• no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Chips. I will eat allllllll the chips.
  • kbrown1527
    kbrown1527 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Any sweets. I have zero self control when it comes to sweets! Even if it is something low cal like jello.. the second I eat it I will crave more junk. If I need something sweet now I’ll eat a piece of fruit or something
  • healingmysticmelody
    Options
    OP, Wheat Thins or Triscuits with your hummus makes your favorite a whole grain and protein combo snack.

HrtOcean, once you cold turkey the fast food or doesn’t taste as good anymore. Speaking of turkey…. If you fry up a couple pounds of ground for taco meat and a couple pounds plain and freeze, you just take out what you need for your quick meal when you are ready to make it, that helps. A nutritionist told me to use corn tortillas and if you put in an air fryer toaster oven with the meat and cheese and then add a pile of romaine and tomato and salsa, it is as good as any restaurant taco.

My kryptonite is chocolate. I’ve switched to dark chocolate primarily but those Lindt balls are still 70 calories each. :) I try for only one but I give in too often and have another. This is in addition to my regular “snack”. I know I can eat just plain dark chocolate but I still want the creamy texture. I have started eating a rice cake with Nutella spread for my chocolate problem. The protein is filling.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    For me takeout causes me to want more takeout so that’s annoying. Sometimes I’m too busy or lazy to prepare meals and we’ll grab takeout then the next thing you know I’ve got takeout leftovers and then I get stuck in this cycle where i just don’t wanna cook and just wanna eat takeout. I have to limit how often I go out to eat, just so I don’t get stuck in that vicious cycle. It’s a prepared outing now, part of my meal plan for the week so can I get back on track the next day. 👍 I wanna say though, exposure therapy has cured my donut obsession.. now an entire dozen can be in the house on the table practically weekly and I don’t eat any. I can also drive thru a Dunkin and get a coffee without a donut, I can also go grocery shopping without a bakery donut. Exposure therapy does help in some circumstances just not takeout. That combination of fat and salt and whatever else just causes cravings for me.
  • michelle2371
    michelle2371 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cookies, brownies, donuts (any sweets). Sugar makes me want more sugar.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,931 Member
    Options
    This is so hard for me to understand, grapefruit. Like suzysunshine said, I buy one, eat it, go to the store and buy two more, go home, eat them, then back to the store. Why?
  • MovinNow
    MovinNow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Pizza is my nemesis. Can’t seem to have just a small piece or two. Maybe when I’m further down the road with my weight loss this will get better. For now, I’m just avoiding confrontations!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Chips. I will eat allllllll the chips.

I owe a lot of my weight when I was younger to Doritos, and Quest makes a product for that now…

😂the cost more than the calories keeps me in check on those.

I prolly overeat nuts and peanut butter too bad, so I shy away from them now. I do add PB2 to my protein shakes to give me a PB kick tho.

• Fattyohfat
    Fattyohfat Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    MovinNow wrote: »
    Pizza is my nemesis. Can’t seem to have just a small piece or two. Maybe when I’m further down the road with my weight loss this will get better. For now, I’m just avoiding confrontations!

if you want I can give you my recipe for a pizza quesadilla, comes in under 300 calories.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Sugar-- well, added sugars (eating fruits/veggies/or unsweetened dairy is okay if they have a moderate to low glycemic index).

Grains-- bread products, pasta, corn, rice, oatmeal, cereals, etc. etc. anything with flour, etc.

Starchy veggies & fruits -- potatoes, bananas, etc.

I gave these up because I'm diabetic and they spike my blood sugar, they make it hard for me to stop eating/trigger hunger/cravings/desire to binge.

They also are the worst culprits in causing inflammation that makes my arthritis & auto-immune disease to flare up.

I also avoid seed oils when I cook, but I don't worry too much if I eat things with some seed oils.

• history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Another ice cream person here. Recently I discovered a delicious gelato sold in single-serving sizes and bought two; those were manageable and reasonable calorie-wise. I have high hopes that this will change someday, because I have mostly successful in limiting intake of other things I love, like no more than about 20 grams of roasted cashews a day (usually 10, which is something like six nuts) and no more than one square of 70% chocolate a day (again, usually half that). The trick is that I can’t eat nuts out of the can; I have to count out very carefully and mindfully. Trail mix and granola are also a no-go right now. I think my biggest problem is with things that have a super-high calorie count for a tiny portion; they just don’t fit into my calorie budget. If I eat a pint of my favourite ice cream, that’s basically my calories for the whole day.
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Regarding ice cream: I have had a lot more luck buying items in pre-portioned amounts. So for ice cream, I'll buy ice cream sandwiches or popsicles or something, instead of a carton of ice cream.

I know it's more expensive, but pre-portioned snacks really help me stick to my calorie goals.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    You can make a bunch of stuff like ice cream from milk, protein powder and frozen fruit. Just use the fruit as the ice in a blender. With the right combo, it ends up like soft serve. Berries are my favorite to use with vanilla, but frozen banana (sometimes withPB2) goes well with chocolate.

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Fyi Cedars has a fat free hummus in a small container. I'm a hummus lover to. What I do us either use fat free or purchase a very small container to have for a meal or make a substitute.i gave up a lit of thing but warned how to di things to improvise.
    I take chic peas and powdered peanut butter mixed with dates, almond mik and one fruit. I blend in nutrabullet. It is like peanut butter cookie dough and hummus craving combined I love this!
    So peanut butter,tahini and nut butters in general were always my foods I had needed to stop for a very long time. Now I have things on occasion in the way I describe by buying only an amount I can have all at once or making a modified version.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything I completely forgo, that I actually like.

There are a few things I can't moderate, so I buy them very rarely, but I do still eat them. Old-school taco flavor Doritos are one I can think of. From a bag, I can maybe portion out one serving a couple of times, but then before the bag is gone I'll probably eat hundreds of calories of them in one sitting. S'allright, as long as it's rare.

There are a few things that dropped out of my rotation because I don't like them enough that they're ever worth their calories. I'd almost say donuts are one, but so many people think they're ultra-wonderful, and periodically - maybe once a year? - someone tells me "you just haven't had the ones from XYZ" so I try the ones from XYZ. So far, nope, just not good (to me) at all.

I'm still eating the basket of deep-fried (whatever), though . . . just not very often at all. ;)
    Regarding ice cream: I have had a lot more luck buying items in pre-portioned amounts. So for ice cream, I'll buy ice cream sandwiches or popsicles or something, instead of a carton of ice cream.

I know it's more expensive, but pre-portioned snacks really help me stick to my calorie goals.

Yeah, that's me, too. Ice cream, chocolate, salty snacks: It's weird to me that I can eat an individual serving pack and be happy, leaving a whole bunch of other individual servings sitting right there in my house, but can't moderate the big multi-serving packs. But that's how it works for me, so that's what I do.