jump rope

Options
so gyms are expensive in this economy. also, i am lazy and way less likely to step out into the cold to work out when home is so warm and comfy.

so i got a jump rope. the $2 home gym! you burn massive amounts of calories doing this childlike work out. i put in 'jumping rope, slowly, 20 min' and burned almost 200 calories.

it's surprisingly taxing, so i started off doing it in 2 minute intervals throughout the morning till i reached my goal time.

just wanted to share this brilliant little idea! can't wait to see how much i burn when i'm in good enough shape to jump at medium or high speeds!

Replies

• jumpoutjane
    Options
    so gyms are expensive in this economy. also, i am lazy and way less likely to step out into the cold to work out when home is so warm and comfy.

so i got a jump rope. the $2 home gym! you burn massive amounts of calories doing this childlike work out. i put in 'jumping rope, slowly, 20 min' and burned almost 200 calories.

it's surprisingly taxing, so i started off doing it in 2 minute intervals throughout the morning till i reached my goal time.

just wanted to share this brilliant little idea! can't wait to see how much i burn when i'm in good enough shape to jump at medium or high speeds!
  • paula123
    paula123 Posts: 91
    Options
    Jump rope is definitely a great work out, I have a kiddy one that is a tad bit short, I really should get a bigger one :laugh:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Okay, yeah, well try jumping rope after delivering 9 children-- everything that's in, wishes to be out-- and I'll leave it at that. Not pretty.

Have fun-- I bought one, too-- but it was too short and I gave it to my kids. Maybe if I get some time and money I'll try again.
  • SkyraBee
    SkyraBee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, jump roping is a very good workout. I just have terrible knees so I am more likely to go to a gym than jump rope. However, as long as you find out what works for you...jump away :)
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    You can do a great interval training session with your jump rope, I do, 2 minutes of jump rope, short rest, 1 minute of pushups, short rest, back to the jump rope. My personal trainer added this into my workout, so I can bust off a plateau, and it's working, we go like this for 30 minutes...it's brutal!

And even after delivering 9 kids you can still jump rope! lol...I've delivered 8 one behind you! it's sooo doable, my teenage daughters challenge me, becomes a family event.
  • kimmaboo
    kimmaboo Posts: 31
    Options
    8 and 9 kids i dont envy you my 3 are driving me crazy maybe witht hat many you can tune them out :) i have issues jumping too i thinki need more keegles ;)
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    8 and 9 kids i dont envy you my 3 are driving me crazy maybe witht hat many you can tune them out :) i have issues jumping too i thinki need more keegles ;)

Well, yes, indeedy-- kegel issues are definitely at play here-- :embarassed:

I'm going to get another rope though, first chance-- I just want to make sure it's an adult rope. The last one was too short and I had to jump even higher!!
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

I'm going to get another rope though, first chance-- I just want to make sure it's an adult rope. The last one was too short and I had to jump even higher!!

I'm with you on the kegels...:laugh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I'm with you on the kegels...:laugh: