Confused: MFP Android Google Calorie Adjustment

Options
I tried searching, but can't wrap my head around this MFP adjustment.

For Example:
Today I walked 60 minutes total and received 473 calories under exercise (calorie adjustment).
BUT, if i manually entered 60 minutes walking I would receive 245 calories under exercise.

How can these both be correct? The MFP adjustment nearly doubles the calories under exercise?

I just can't figure this out and wondering if I should just go back to manually entering my exercise.

Thanks!!

Replies

• scodoublet123
    scodoublet123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    *crickets*
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Pace/stepcount/stride length discrepancy possibly? I assume your android measures steps? Which incidentally probably isn't that accurate. MFP asks you to pick a speed and you likely have no idea what speed you were really walking unless you calculated distance. Get a wearable. My fitbit is pretty much dead on accurate.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    I tried searching, but can't wrap my head around this MFP adjustment.

For Example:
    Today I walked 60 minutes total and received 473 calories under exercise (calorie adjustment).
    BUT, if i manually entered 60 minutes walking I would receive 245 calories under exercise.

How can these both be correct? The MFP adjustment nearly doubles the calories under exercise?

I just can't figure this out and wondering if I should just go back to manually entering my exercise.

Thanks!!

Sorry, I am not clear on where that number 473 number is coming from? What is measuring your walking calories and putting them in MFP?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If it's an adjustment from some sort of step tracker, than it will include more than the tracked walking activity.
  • scodoublet123
    Options
    Yes, Google Fit on my Android tracks my steps and it is synced to MFP and that's what entered the 473 calorie adjustment.

That does sound possible, that generic "walking" calories could be counted differently by Google Fit and by MFP when I manually enter a time (ex. 60 minutes of walking)

I wonder which would be the most accurate?

Thanks everyone!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    Google Fit measures all your walking for the day, not just that 60 minutes. That is what the calorie adjustment comes from.
  • scodoublet123
    Options
    Correct.

I was just wondering about the calorie difference I noticed when I manually entered 60 min "walking" into MFP vs 60 min "walking" recorded from Google Fit.

Wondering which would be the most accurate.

60 Min Walk Entered in MFP Manually = 275 calories
    60 Min Walk Recorded by Google Fit = 473 calories
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you put in an exercise manually, if you have an app synced with MFP, it will automatically adjust the calories burned.
  • dominatorlucky
    dominatorlucky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anyway, you should look to smallest value by caution. Anyway, what's wrong if account the smallest value ? At least you won't gain weight that way !
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I turn off the steps importing into MFP. From my experience the calories are adjusted higher to count for your steps each day when you do the guided path that sets your daily calorie intake. So really that number is not that useful. Unless it is the extra exercise you are doing I'd just ignore it. There are also plenty of threads here on eating exercise calories, but most will say don't or rarely use them. I'd just leave them off unless its exercise you want added to track.