Not losing

Options
I may be premature because I haven't weighed myself yet (following MFP 1200 calories) and I am on my first week but I have been unable to lose in the past. I did a six week challenge at the gym, ate eggs at every meal and spinach or chicken but only lost 6 lb. Total. I have done Weight Watchers and found it to be too restricted for me on most days. The only thing that worked for me in the past is only eating one meal a day but that isn't sustainable. I get enough sleep and I am not overly stressed (I totally was during the challenge and basically figured that was what was holding onto the weight). Do you think I am overthinking this and "causing" myself to hold on to weight? I have an appointment in November at a weight loss clinic for FDA approved meds but if I can do it on my own I have every intention of cancelling. I don't want to be one of those "here today gone tomorrow" people!
Stats are--50 yr old female, 5'4" and 190 lb. And I want to get to 150 lb.

Replies

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You are not getting the most you can out of your workouts if you are only eating 1200 calories. Also, are you weighing your food? It is shocking when you start weighing things out, the difference in what you a serving size is, and what you think it is.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I can't reply to individual posts but thank you! Yes, I definitely feel like I am doing whack a mole with weight loss especially lately because I am frustrated and impatient. I changed my goal to 1 pound a week and the calories are more like a regular day for me. I will breath and keep the course

We are here for you. In all seriousness, staying tuned in to these boards.m, asking questions, taking good advice even when internet-hurtful and weeding through the bad advice, it’s all been golden for me.

I just had my five year anniversary, and am maintaining in a place I’m very happy with.

We all want this for you!

Patience is the key- through (literally!) thick and (with effort and grace to yourself!) thin.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    1/2 lb to 2 lbs per week is considered healthy for most people.

1 lb per week is great, you're right in there.

While some people struggle to lose weight more than others due to genes, medical conditions, medication, phys. activity level, etc. overall you need to just make sure you're in a caloric deficit.

You can get fat eating eggs & spinach basically if you're over-eating your daily calories; and you can get skinny on brownies if you're in a caloric deficit. So tracking really really helps.

If you struggle with hunger while sticking to a deficit, consider playing with your macros, figure out if you have trigger foods that keep your hunger up, see what you find most satiating, etc. I figured out low carb/high fat is best for me and I almost always under-eat my daily goals. Someone else might find high carb more satiating because they can eat as many low-cal veggies as they want. It's really something you have to play around with to find your sweet spot.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Nice. The scale is a bit of a fickle, "friend," so it can't always be trusted.

Do the right thing(s) over time and the weight will go. Some weeks will be no loss and some will be more than expected.

Stay the course.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I weighed in this morning and I have lost 4 lb. I know it is water weight more than likely but I don't care! Upping my calories just a little seems to keep me feeling full and happy.

Good show!

Losing any meaningful total amount of weight is realistically going to take quite some time (weeks to months, maybe even years). Therefore, having a calorie level that keeps you full and happy, but allows gradual fat loss - that's a win.

[edited by staff]

Wishing you continuing sustainable, steady progress!

• amanda320rose
    amanda320rose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    JoLightensUp I just downloaded Libra. How is it different from just keeping track in MFP?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    I think Libra is a weight-trending app, like Happy Scale that I use on iOS. Basically you log your weight every day and you get a line through your measurements that is a 7 or whatever day trend. If you have a couple of measurements this will show up. Why not log the last measurements from the last days, under the correct date? Then you might see this line. If you look at the weight in MFP you only see the day to day measurements; some will be higher and others lower. With a trend line you can see whether your weight is actually going down in all that single day clutter.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Libra shows the trend beyond the fluctuations. The trend can also go up and down (depending on how fast the rate of loss is), but much less - it makes it easier to judge your progress.

An example below, with the dots showing the weigh-ins and the line showing the trend.

7mvfqprkg1re.jpg

And an example when my rate of loss was more slow:

20dez9m352wv.jpg

Clear ups and downs from water weight fluctuations (the graph is in kg, roughly double the numbers for the equivalent in lbs), but the trend shows that I was definitely losing weight/fat.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Yes, all that Yirara and Lietchi said. 🙂If you enter your weigh-ins so far with their dates, you will see a trendline appear.

The time I really find this valuable is when I feel like I'm "stuck" on the same weight for a while - it's actually happening to me now. Even though my weigh-ins have been the same for quite a few days, my trendline is still going down.

What I used to do was think I had to cut my calories even more, which of course I couldn't sustain. The trendline reminds me to be patient and my weight will most likely drop without changing anything.

There are also advanced preferences in Libra's settings where you can change how much effect each weigh-in has on the trend (smoothing days) and how many weigh-ins are used in the forecast (forecasting days).