High exercise heart rate

Options
Hey everybody, I actually have a question from my husband. We were both at the gym today (him for the first time in several years, although he does have a pretty physically demanding job) and I asked him how it was. He said that it was fine, but that the machine kept beeping at him that his heart rate was too high. I asked him what it said his heart rate was, and he said about 180-190. He is 32 years old. I told him that was way too high for exercise and that it wasn't good for his heart. He said that he didn't even really feel like he was exerting himself, he wasn't pushing at all and it wasn't really hard for him. He wasn't out of breath or anything either.

So guys, what do I tell him? Is it OK for him to work out with his heart rate that high? What effects could it be having on his heart health? Why is he not feeling like he's exerting himself?

:noway:

I just don't get how it's not making him tired with such a high heart rate!

Replies

• hearts3134
    Options
    Hey everybody, I actually have a question from my husband. We were both at the gym today (him for the first time in several years, although he does have a pretty physically demanding job) and I asked him how it was. He said that it was fine, but that the machine kept beeping at him that his heart rate was too high. I asked him what it said his heart rate was, and he said about 180-190. He is 32 years old. I told him that was way too high for exercise and that it wasn't good for his heart. He said that he didn't even really feel like he was exerting himself, he wasn't pushing at all and it wasn't really hard for him. He wasn't out of breath or anything either.

So guys, what do I tell him? Is it OK for him to work out with his heart rate that high? What effects could it be having on his heart health? Why is he not feeling like he's exerting himself?

:noway:

I just don't get how it's not making him tired with such a high heart rate!
  • ClaudiaRN
    ClaudiaRN Posts: 20
    Options
    you need to recheck his heart rate with another machine or by just felling his pulse and counting. Because the machine he was on might not be right. If his heart rate really is that high he might need to see a doctor about it.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I have hit 180's while working out and felt fine- also was his HRM the thing that was beeping? Or was it a gym machine? gym machines aren't accurate

When my HRM beeps I turn the sound off-- As long as I don't get chest pain I am fine
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm 32, and do I hit a HR of 189 when sprinting or working hard. My average is 150-160. I have a polar, so that is more accurate than the machines at the gym.

If he feels fine, and can carry on a convo - I'm thinking the machine may not be reading his HR accurately. An MD check-up is always good - better safe than sorry :)
  • hearts3134
    Options
    Thanks guys! He will likely not go to the dr. to check anything out, especially since he says he feels fine. It was the machine beeping that his heart rate was too high, if my heart rate monitor wasn't pink, I'd make him wear it next time to check! :laugh: Maybe I'll get him one of his own if he wants to keep working out!

You guys are so great, I really appreciate the feedback, seems like I was being a bit of a nervous Nellie! :bigsmile:
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    The heart rate guidelines really are just guidelines... a lot of factors come into play when looking at an individual's heart rate as opposed to the "average" heart rate.

If he hasn't done intense cardio for a while, that could be part of the reason... even if his job is physically demanding, if he isn't used to regular cardiovascular training, then his heart could be a bit out of shape, thus causing a higher heart rate. With regular cardio exercise, the heart rate begins to slow down because the heart adjusts to routine exercise.

If he's a smoker or had caffeine before his workout, that could also have caused a higher heart rate.

One of the important things you mentioned is that he didn't feel as if he was overexerting himself. That's generally a good indication that he's not hitting a level of exertion that would lead to real problems. Some people naturally hit a higher heart rate while working out than others. I personally have hit 220bmp during sprints and never felt like I was going to pass out. (I recover and have a lower heart rate within a minute of slowing down)

One thing you need to find out is how long he was in that higher heart rate zone? If it was only a minute or two while he was pushing hard and it came down when he decreased the intensity (even if it goes up again every time he pushes) that's probably not going to have a negative impact. If he was really at that high heart rate the ENTIRE time he worked out, regardless of the intensity, then that could indicate a problem. As long as his heart rate drops back down when he lowers the intensity, he's probably fine.

I'm not a doctor, though... and if it's a real concern then he should get a physical exam.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    When in doupbt, see your Doc. I'm a Nurse and I won't give any medical advice out. Especially related to the heart and physical exertion. Mind you, I'm a Canadian and don't pay for my healthcare.:flowerforyou:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    When in doupbt, see your Doc. I'm a Nurse and I won't give any medical advice out. Especially related to the heart and physical exertion. Mind you, I'm a Canadian and don't pay for my healthcare.:flowerforyou:

Freaking Canucks...... :bigsmile: