Eating in the grocery store

Options
Snakey74
Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
So I went grocery shopping tonight, and ended up unwittingly following around a couple who opened a box of Cheez-Its and ate the entire box (um, eww) while shopping. They did have the cashier ring up the empty box and immediately throw it away...but I couldn't help but think about how odd the whole thing was! Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've never done it but I've seen it done - with drinks too.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I have seen it too. In fact an old neighbor would get their 2yo the BIG bag of Cheetos when they went in. Then be PROUD that she had finished it all by herself by the time they finished shopping. No wonder she was 75 pounds by 3.
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    I will taste a grape to make sure they are good before i get them but no i have never done it. I know someone that has done it because they said they were hungry while shopping and would end up filling the cart with stupid stuff because she was shopping for her stomach rather then for the week. But she said she was munching on rasins or something. She paid for it too.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I get my kids a chocolate chip muffin and break off pieces for them while i walk around to keep the busy........and often pay for just the stump.........
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I usually pick at grapes while shopping........try not to eat too many though because it is a scale item!!!
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a grocery store and I hated seeing people do this. Especially if it was a banana b/c ya know we have to weigh that right?! lol
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I've done it....ONCE. I was 8 months pregnant with my first child and DESPERATELY wanted milk for some reason.
    I was with my mom at the time. She proceeded to take a pint of milk off the shelf, open it, and hand it to me. It tasted like the best milk ever. lol When I finished it off, she took the empty container, put it in her cart, and paid for it during checkout.

This was 13 years ago. I've haven't done it since then and don't ever plan to. haha
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Only the bakery chocolate chip cookie handed to the kids to keep them entertained for a few minutes. Helps with good behavior during the shopping trip. But a box of crackers??? EWW!!
  • Keltinator
    Options
    My mom used to do this when shopping with my brother and I if we got hungry... we didn't have a car, so a walk home with two hungry, grumpy kids wouldn't have been fun. So often she'd open a box of granola bars and let us eat one. Of course, she paid for them!
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    If I am buying fruit snacks or cracker snacks for the kids anyway, I will give them one while I shop.... it keeps them quiet :blushing:
    But I never give them a whole box of anything, ya gotta eat a meal at home or at least sitting down right?
    Oh, and our Wal-mart gives the kids a cookie when they stop at the bakery.
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I end up at the grocery shop starving after a long day. So I buy a few potato wedges (bad, I know) from the deli and eat them right away, but I pay for the empty bag. But never food off the shelf.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    My mom used to drink orange juice in stores, but that was because of her blood sugar issues. I think that's the only acceptable reason, really.
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a grocery store and I hated seeing people do this. Especially if it was a banana b/c ya know we have to weigh that right?! lol
    ...also called theft.
  • AliciaLucas_72
    AliciaLucas_72 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I did it once when I was pregnant and i was so hungry I was going to puke but I had to stop at the store for some essential item( i think it was pull ups for my 2 year old) anyway I did pay for the item and it was an emergency situation. (It was a chicken patty sandwich from the deli)
  • candicecumbie
    Options
    I usually go to the grocery store right after leaving the gym. I head directly to the protein isle and get a bar or premixed shake and eat or drink it right there and pay at the end.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My husband would do this when we were dating in college. Not a whole box of cheese-its, but the popcorn chicken that you get at the ready-to-eat station at Wal-mart.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    So I went grocery shopping tonight, and ended up unwittingly following around a couple who opened a box of Cheez-Its and ate the entire box (um, eww) while shopping. They did have the cashier ring up the empty box and immediately throw it away...but I couldn't help but think about how odd the whole thing was! Does anyone else do this?

No, I have never ever done this, but I have seen people do this, i have seen people ffed their kids in grocery stores doing this, too. it actually irritates me greatly. At the risk of sounding rude ( and I really apologise because I can't sugar coat this), people who do this shouldn't be allowed back into these stores, it's just crass , wrong and even stealing.
  • INeedSerenity
    Options
    I have only seen this done when small children get a little fussy. What a crazy experience that must have been for you. They do say you should never go grocery shopping while you are hungry; but if the grocer allows this kind of munching maybe you could put the grapes or fruit up close...on second thought that gets weighed...hmm.
  • mmoyer1978
    mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I myself don't do it, but I have small children and when they are with me I do it all the time. It seems like inevitably they tell me they are hungry while we're shopping. We open gold fish or Teddy Grahams and I admit, I share, but we've never polished of a whole box. Too funny!
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think I used to open my cartons of flavoured milk in store, poor cashier would have to scan it 2 3rds full, pinching the top together so it doesn't spill. I must have stopped doing that of my own volition and certainly wouldn't start again now, several years down the track as I have picked up a pretty neat habit from my boyfriend of waiting until I am home to consume what ever I bought (be it doughnuts, milk, subways or sausage rolls - yes, needless to say, most of these snack trips don't produce the greatest food ha ha, they don't happen so frequently anymore either).