Weighed in a day earlier

Options
I weigh in on Thursday but instead weighed in today because am going out for a mea tonight. Anyway I lost 1 n half pound but am worried it will just come straight back on with this meal tonight. Should I weigh again tomorrow to see the diference?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    shazia20 wrote: »
    I weigh in on Thursday but instead weighed in today because am going out for a mea tonight. Anyway I lost 1 n half pound but am worried it will just come straight back on with this meal tonight. Should I weigh again tomorrow to see the diference?

I think it would be more productive to spend the few minutes you would have used to weigh in to read about how weight loss and gain works and consider whether you're trying to just see the number on the scale go down, or whether you're trying to lose fat.

Bit of a tough love, but totally true. Unless to wants to eat about 5000 calories over maintenance with that one meal. 😬
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,809 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Don’t forget, restaurant meals can include lots of sodium. I can easily bounce up several pounds, especially after pizza or even a ceasar salad with grilled chicken

Am I going to give up either? “Fat” chance. As long as it fits my calorie goal, I’m good to go. It’ll all even out in the wash with a weigh-in a few days down the road.

If weighing daily stresses you out, don’t do it OR get a weight loss graph smoothing app (I forget the names but someone will be along to share).

I weigh in almost daily. I can tell you to the day which are my “heaviest” days (Monday) and which day I’ll record my lowest weight (Saturday). Knowing this and expecting these results helps prevent the freak outs. All of life is cyclical, including my weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    When I was losing weight I weighed every day for a while. That takes the "sting" out of the silly weight fluctuations I would get due to all kinds of things. Here's a good article we link all the time:
    https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

...and a discussion about it here in the forums: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

I'd say in general, find a way to not be emotionally attached to a number.

Weight trending apps that graph your weight are good. I just have an Excel sheet.

Expect to go up 2-5 pounds (depending on your current weight and the meal) after a restaurant meal, regardless. It's okay, it'll drop back off in a few days.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Use a weight trending app such as Happy Scale (iphone) or Libra (Android) and focus on the trend, not the individual weigh-ins. I have Happy Scale and use the “Moving Average” as my official weight.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    It will be water. If you’ve been losing, a higher calorie day won’t cause fat gain, it may slow loss for the next week depending on how high the calories are or it may have no impact besides some water retention.
  • liwo81
    liwo81 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There’s no rule that says you can only weigh yourself once a week. Sometimes I weigh a few times a week and sometimes just once. We just have to not get hung up and discouraged over a slight gain as long as you’re trending down at a slow pace. These slight temporary gains so easily derail people and they decide “it’s not working”. Stay the course and enjoy a meal out with family or friends. Eat sensibly for the most part and then go on your merry way of tracking and being intentional woth your plan. I hope you enjoyed your meal out😊