Compulsive eating and PMS

Options
Surely I'm not the only one who stuffs herself silly the few days prior to her period, am I?

Its compulsive. I eat, and eat, and eat. I feel like cookie monster, just not only with cookies, but with EVERYTHING.

Anyone else deal with this? If so, how do you keep a leash on your hormonal eating habits? :huh:

Replies

• pussycatsandtoast
    Options
    Surely I'm not the only one who stuffs herself silly the few days prior to her period, am I?

Its compulsive. I eat, and eat, and eat. I feel like cookie monster, just not only with cookies, but with EVERYTHING.

Anyone else deal with this? If so, how do you keep a leash on your hormonal eating habits? :huh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I just don't keep any junk in the house. I'll keep really dark chocolate around or maybe some hot cocoa but nothing that will really put a dent in my calories.
  • timeforchange
    Options
    I've only had to deal with this problem once since joining MFP, but I did the same thing - I made sure there was nothing too unhealthy around the house and I kept myself busy so I wouldn't have time for big snacks. I also didn't bring money or my debit card to work and school so I couldn't buy any of the junk food my pms was telling me to buy! It worked pretty well!
  • ABragdon1
    Options
    trust me - you are not the only woman to do that. Everyone has their days and yours just so happen to be period time. Its hard to resist.
  • Kasey42588
    Options
    We have the same problem. I'll eat whatever I can get my hands on.. it's so bad that I'll wake up at 2 or 3AM and HAVE to go get something to eat, whether it be an Oreo or bite of rice from dinner. Lately, I've been eating extra dark chocolate (it's not bad for you) and drinking lowfat chocolate milk (I hate regular milk, so I need to drink choc. milk) to help curb the cravings. I agree with the hot chocolate idea as well. Although, last week when I was going nuts from PMS, I did buy a Reese's Egg and a Wonka Cadbury Egg. :embarassed:
  • jelee18
    jelee18 Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the new Mini Delights microwavable "cakes". They're only 150 calories a piece. I also love the Special K rasberry and chocolate bars (90 calories). Sometimes I can keep it under wraps by sucking on a hard candy. I don't know the calorie count, but I will also fill a chocolate pie crust with fat free chocolate pudding and top it off with fat free cool whip. And last, but not least, I love dipping fruit in dark chocolate :tongue:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I actually dont. DURING my period I get some sweet cravings, but I'm never overly hungry during that time because my cramps are so painful. I usually undereat actually. Maybe you could just try snacking on lower cal foods.... popcorn, veggies, fruit. If it's sweets you want maybe yogurt or a pudding cup?
  • coliechacer
    coliechacer Posts: 105
    Options
    Hey girl u are not the only one def not. I have the same problem but its with peanut m&m's. And Swiss rolls its soo bad i have no control. I started a new birth control called yaz and its says its supposed to help with appetite during period. I hope it works cause every time i drop a few pounds when that time of the months comes i gain it back and it stays ugh i need help to
  • jszevery
    jszevery Posts: 17
    Options
    You just have to be VERY aware, when those few days are coming. Remind yourself, the day before. Remind yourself, again in the morning, that day. And just don't do it. It is so very hard, because your estrogen levels are almost nothing when you reach those days. And your female body is looking for a substitute...chocolate.

It's a good idea to work out every day (not every other) the whole week before your period. Your body will produce a natural high from the exercise, and hopefully, you will not need the chocolate.

If you are in a sexual relationship...try having sex in the morning on those days, then eat a high protein or high fiber breakfast (so you are full all morning). Again, creating a natural high, and not needing the substitute of chocolate.

Are you taking a B-Complex 50 supplement? That could help too, with PMS.

It is so hard. I have been suffering for 4 years with the same problem. SO hard.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I can tell the day I am gonna start because i am ravenous, and will overeat with no guilt at all.
    I figure it is better than before, when I overate almost every day, so I let myself indulge. the good thing is most of the crap foods in my house have been replaced by healthier choices, so I can't do so much damage. :wink:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I can tell the day I am gonna start because i am ravenous, and will overeat with no guilt at all.
    I figure it is better than before, when I overate almost every day, so I let myself indulge. the good thing is most of the crap foods in my house have been replaced by healthier choices, so I can't do so much damage. :wink:
    I'm like you. I just make sure now that I'm overindulging on healthy things so my body doesn't rebel the next few days after.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I dont keep junk around and I dont give into temptations during that TOM after a while the cravings subside once you start ignoring them.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Me too Its not just cravings its hunger!! I get starved. But I have been tracking on a chart and I notice that I get very very hungry and may get cravings for chocolate and sweet or really salty. Then the first 2 days of my actual TOM I'm like Kerri I have no appitite and I tend to go under cals. I dont worry too much because I think it balances out. If I feel like I need it though I have nuts or avocado.

I plan for it. I make sure I have some treats but not too much so that even if I eat it all it wont effect me too much. I get hot cocoa, tea, pickles and potatoes so I can make homemade baked potato chips, and pickles lol. Sometimes I get a very small container of chocolate ice cream but never anything large and never a big bag of stuff!

I also like soups, salads and veggies I always try to fill up on them before I have a treat that way its harder to stuff myself.

I say just plan for it as best you can!