Cheap!, easy, HEALTHY snacks?

Options
I work the graveyard shift and spend most of my shift sitting and bored and INEVITABLY wind up bored-snacking.

I am looking for suggestions of inexpensive!, no-effort, healthy snacks that won't undo my whole day.

I usually keep a supply of pickle chips, water and natural applesauce. But this is getting old.

Any help is MUCH appreciated. Must lost weight!

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    light string cheese and almonds
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Fruit and veggies are easy.
  • brit7880
    brit7880 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I really like raw brocoli.. and if you want you can dip it in some low fat ranch.
  • eleonoralatte
    Options
    my favorite is Soyjoy
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Popcorn... make it ahead of time (no burnt popcorn smell) and bring it in a large ziploc bag.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hummus and red/green/yellow pepper sticks and a bottle of water.
    String Cheese + 6-8 almonds and a bottle of water.
    Radishes or celery
    Spicy salsa and a few chips (I can get away with 1/2 of normal if I eat one, and don't go for another until the spicy flavor diminishes)
    Grapes, cantelope balls.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Veggies are a good snack - raw celery, cauliflower, snowpeas, cherry tomatoes that kind of stuff.
    But is there something else you can do rather than snack? Can you take up knitting?? Or do something else that keeps your hands busy?
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    I have recently gotten hooked on dipping veggies in mustard... Yummy!! (But only if you like mustard...)
  • jrcox520
    jrcox520 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I second the almonds and string cheese. I've switched it up a lot, but lately I've been eating a small salad with fresh romaine, a whole plum tomato, and 1 or 1.5 oz of fresh mozzarella cut into big chunks. Takes about 2 minutes to make and tastes very clean. Other days I'll have some cantaloupe with sharp cheddar cheese chunks or almonds with a banana. In the afternoon I'll have some red pepper strips and carrot sticks with hummus and maybe some Special K crackers.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Wasabi Peas
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The Hunts or Jello Puddin Packs aren't bad snack wise. Light Microwave Popcorn isn't too bad - better than potato chips! You can pop a bag at home and take it with you. If you can catch the yogurt on sale, it isn't so bad but I don't know if you have refrigeration. Same for the Whole Fruit Popsicles but you would need a freezer. If you can stand them, boiled eggs would be cheap and a great snack. Sometimes you can get a pretty large bag of mixed apples and oranges at the grocery store for a pretty good price. Dry Roasted Peanuts if you have self control! Dollar General has a 10 for $10 shelf which has jars of roasted peanuts for a $1.00. The chocolate covered mint pattis are not too bad - 150 calories for 5 and a bag last me about a week. Ok, my food choices are boring, that's all I got!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    bump.. im on an idea kick tonight
  • Kjandcuttysmom
    Kjandcuttysmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    jif peanut butter to go cups, mini pretzels, apples sliced, both for dipping into the peanut butter,
    mission tortilla wrap the small 90 cal ones, slice of cheese, two slices of deli meat, roll then cut into bite size portions,
    do you like jello? ( i don't but some people like it)
    ritz crackerfuls
    shine
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Veggies are a good snack - raw celery, cauliflower, snowpeas, cherry tomatoes that kind of stuff.
    But is there something else you can do rather than snack? Can you take up knitting?? Or do something else that keeps your hands busy?

True, or can you just get up and walk around? Do some mini office exercises?
  • ChangingJojo
    ChangingJojo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I try to always have yogurt and a variety of fruits/veggies on hand. Sunday is my typical grocery day and then I spend the afternoon getting all of my produce washed and into snack sized bags. My main go-to's are grapes, apples, oranges, berries, celery, carrots, bell peppers. You can stay fairly inexpensive if you buy what is in season.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys are amazing.

As far as moving, its kind of complicated. I work at a house, basically looking out for an elderly woman who has dementia. I can't really bang around in the kitchen or turn on lights while she is resting. I can't go big further than the driveway with the baby monitor used to help supervise, either. She has a long-haired cat that recently started giving me asthma attacks, just for my first Inhaler last week. So I can't even get on the floor and do some light exercises because of all the dander lodged in there.

In short, my job sucks. After I go on my vacation over Thanksgiving I plan to find something new that, ya know, I'm not allergic to.

I am going to pick up some eggs to boil in the morning! And some popcorn as well.

I can't really eat broccoli because it does awful, stinks things to my stomach, and I don't do cashews or almonds. :(

I do appreciate the ideas. Keep 'em coming if you got 'em!
  • auntdeedee87
    Options
    I promise I'm not as illiterate as that post made me sound.

My smartphone often makes me look stupid. ;)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Flat bread or pita pockets with sliced turkey, or peanut butter, or Laughing Cow cheese...simple.....and filling.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options

Stupid smartphones... make us feel stupid so they can feel "smart"! :wink: :laugh: :laugh: :wink:
  • auntdeedee87
    Options

Stupid smartphones... make us feel stupid so they can feel "smart"! :wink: :laugh: :laugh: :wink:

Right?!