School lunches??

Options
sommerling
sommerling Posts: 35 Member
Protein bars get old..

Replies

• 500daysofshelby
    Options
    I dropped school lunches completely, and it's definitely helped. I once logged a chicken nugget, roll, mashed potato and gravy lunch and I couldn't even believe the amount of calories I'd consumed it was insane. I pack my lunches now and I usually have a sandwich (PBJ or turkey with cheese and mustard on whole wheat), an apple or hummus and wheat thins, and 100 Calorie Snack Well fudge drizzled chocolate cookies.

Definitely worth switching over.
  • SapphoSensei
    Options
    We have some healthy foods at the school I work at so I will sometimes get the school lunch. But i find it best (and more relaxing) to bring my lunch. I usually make a small extra helping of what ever I make for dinner and then when I am cleaning up I make a lunch pack out of the left overs. This way its ready to go in the morning and I don't have to think about it as I am rushing to get out the door.
  • mcmcmcshane
    mcmcmcshane Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of processed foods (since I started losing weight.. I *loved* them before!) because I notice that if I supplement my meals with fruit, I stay fuller longer. However, when packing lunches or meals to eat on the road, I gotta say.. 100 calorie packs are my friend!! I also prefer deli meat sandwiches to PB&J, but that's just my personal preference ;)
  • sommerling
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! i am discusted with what i found out about the calories in a piece of pizza at school! so today i packed an apple and a 100 calorie snack!
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like that you are packing your own lunches! This is a healthy habit that you should carry with you into adulthood. Most of the foods around us even as an adult (and I work in a hospital) are processed, full of fat and refined carbs.

Just make sure you are packing enough to fuel your brain! Try adding a few nuts to snack on, or make a sandwich on whole wheat or sprouted grain bread (I like hummus and tabouli or peanut butter and bananas) or a salad that morning. Try switching up what type of fruit you bring so it doesn't get old - try watermelon, peaches and bananas. A 100 cal pack and an apple is probably not enough to fight the hunger monster for an entire school day. :) Some yogurt (I like coconut yogurt) is also easy to grab in the morning.
  • sommerling
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas! i am so going to the store tomrrow! :)
  • isabellammm
    isabellammm Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary! I bring lunches to school everyday. I usually make myself a sandwich with either 100 cal sandwich rounds or the 90 cal sara lee bread. Hummus, smoked salmon, healthy leftovers, baby carrots, and special K bars have all become my new best friends :D

Sometimes I go off campus for lunch though...so I've looked up the nutrition facts for all the nearby food places and know what to order before I get there.

Hope this helps!
  • sommerling
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!