No sugar diet

Options
Anyone have any ideas on snacks for a no sugar diet

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Regular potato chips don't have any sugar. Neither do pretzels, jerky, eggs.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,969 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Avoid anything that contains carbs. :#
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Limey9681 wrote: »
    Fruit.

Oh wait, they have sugar.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    2% milk string cheese, jerky (watch the ingredients, some have sugar), hard boiled eggs, dry roasted soybeans, some kinds of nuts and other cheeses have negligible sugar.

It's going to be hard to find things with literally zero sugar, so the "why" does occur to me . . . but I'm one of those weird people who thinks fruits and veggies and dairy foods are health promoting, so I'm biased.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I gave up added sugars.

Basically anything can be a snack if you keep it in the fridge/freezer/pantry, if you food prep ahead for the week, etc. I'm not sure if you're looking for something specifically portable, non-perishable, uncooked, or what. Things I might snack on include:
    - nuts
    - seeds
    - jerky
    - moderate to low-carb veggies
    - nut butters
    - fats (putting butter or coconut oil or something in my coffee kills my hunger)
    - pork rinds
    - eggs (hard boiled are convenient for travel but I make egg scramble bowls and freeze them in serving-size portions and grab & microwave when hungry)
    - olives
    - lunch meat
    - canned meats (tuna, sardines, mackerel, smoked oysters, chicken breast, etc.)
    - meat in general (hot dog, burger patty, chicken wing, minute steak, bone broth, etc.)

Of course, check the ingredients on pre-packaged products; you may have to search to find some things where they don't add sugar.

Just curious, are you giving up all sugars (including foods with natural sugars?) or just foods that sugar has been added to?

If you eat natural sugars, I'll throw in:
    - fruits
    - unsweetened dairy (yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese)
    - Home-made mouse or ice creams made with things like heavy cream, avocado, etc.

There are also treats with artificial sweeteners that can be nice once in a while:
    - diet sodas
    - sugar-free ice pops, pudding, etc.
    - sugar free flavored coffee creamers
    - sugar-free protein bars and low-carb snacks

I don't eat grains but if you do you can also toss in:
    - whole grain, no-sugar-added wheat products (bread, crackers, etc.)
    - sprouted wheat bread products
    - brown rice bowls (instant rice or boil bags are convenient)
    - natural or buttered popcorn

Also if you eat legumes:
    - soy beans
    - tofu _(anything from puddings to stir-fry)
    - hummus

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,970 Member
    Options
    Limey9681 wrote: »

Do you literally mean "no sugar" which would eliminate most fruit, vegetables, grains, and beans, or do you mean "no added sugar?"
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,970 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Regular potato chips don't have any sugar. Neither do pretzels, jerky, eggs.

While sugar-free jerky is a thing, it won't be the most common or inexpensive kind.

https://peopleschoicebeefjerky.com/blogs/news/why-is-it-so-difficult-to-find-sugar-free-jerky

Sugar-free beef jerky is difficult to find because many commercial beef jerky makers add natural or artificial sweeteners to make up for the costly ingredients and time-intensive jerky making process. But for those looking for sugar-free jerky, there are a growing number of options that are categorized as keto beef jerky or old fashioned beef jerky.

...We’re going to pull back the curtain and give you a deep dive into why most jerky products have sugar.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    While sugar-free jerky is a thing, it won't be the most common or inexpensive kind.

OMG so true, very frustrating.