Cardio stuff

Options
Hey guys, I’m currently working with a personal trainer at the gym doing weights and I just wanted to know what cardio stuff would you guys recommend? I’ve been told doing some running but I wanna do more than just running

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Elliptical? Sports? Bike? Rowing? Swimming? Hiking?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you like. Do you have a bike? Cycle to work if possible, or after work. Dance to music, could also be more athletic kind of dancing.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'd focus on finding what you enjoy that is good cardio. If you are only doing it bc you 'have to do cardio' it can really lead to you absolutely hating it and it become a dirge and then you may be less likely to do it. If you find something you actually enjoy then it will be far more likely you keep consistent with it.

If you *like machines at the gym - elliptical, bike, treadmill, row machine will all be decent cardio. Also if your gym has like a 'mobility' area or like an area with more things like ropes/weighted balls, you can do some stuff like cross-fit-ish.

But also other hobbies like rock climbing, hiking, boxing, dancing, etc. Can also be good options for cardio.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    If you have a bag in your gym, try kickboxing. One of the few cardio workouts you can do that involve just about every body part.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Try all and do the ones you like. Cardio can be very tedious and boring.
  • aarongourley7
    aarongourley7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the feedback guys Thankyou, think I’m gonna rotate between bike and treadmill 😏
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    Just do the one that sucks the least
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options

Or none at all of all suck. You (TO) don't need to punish yourself just to get in some cardio. Besides, adhering to something doesn't really work if you don't like it or don't find some proper, big motif to do so.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Or none at all of all suck. You (TO) don't need to punish yourself just to get in some cardio. Besides, adhering to something doesn't really work if you don't like it or don't find some proper, big motif to do so.
    Cardio is good for CV health. I’d rather put red hot needles in my eyes that do it however it’s a good idea to incorporate at least some.

People that hate steady state tedious workouts on the treadmill, bike, etc can do some HIIT oriented stuff to shorten the session and break some of the tedium or better yet, get out and do some hiking.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Cardio is good for CV health. I’d rather put red hot needles in my eyes that do it however it’s a good idea to incorporate at least some.

People that hate steady state tedious workouts on the treadmill, bike, etc can do some HIIT oriented stuff to shorten the session and break some of the tedium or better yet, get out and do some hiking.

Yup, I'm not a fan of indoor cardio but forced myself to go to the gym all summer when it was too hot and humid for me outside.

Since the cooler weather returned I've been gardening. Spending lots of time digging holes and filling them in. :lol:

Normally I spend a lot more time in the woods but have had ankle pain since April so not very much this year. On the plus side, this is the first year since I returned to Tick Country 12 years ago that I have not pulled a tick off me :smiley:

When doing cardio at the gym I rotate between elliptical, bike, and rower. It's not that bad, I just really prefer outdoor cardio.
  • kbrown1527
    kbrown1527 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I enjoy doing a lot of HIIT exercises. You can look some up on YouTube that can vary from about 10min-1hr and varying in intensity. I really enjoy the 45min outdoor hiit by YouTuber “Bullyjuice”… I was able to keep up almost to the end (but moving slower) when I was completely out of shape and I’m now able to keep up with the same speed and intensity.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    If you’re trying to get in 30 min of cardio at the gym and are just so damn bored try breaking it into 2 15 min sessions around your weight training. Maybe 15 on the bike and then 15 on the elliptical. You can also go a little harder that way also.

You have to be careful with cardio as too much can raise your appetite or compromise your NEAT burn the rest of the day.