Pointers for a newbie on the 5k?

On October the first, in response for my family's past struggle with several breast cancer survivors, I have decided to partake in the local Pink Breast Cancer Walk/Jog 5k. I would love to be able to jog, but 3 miles?! It's hard for me to grasp that in my mind! Does anyone have any pointers to the marathon newbie? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    I will be doing my second Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure for Breast Cancer research & awareness next month. Run, walk, or jog; it doesn't matter. I've done a combination of the 3 in the 3-5Ks that I have participated in thus far (one for breast cancer, one for colon cancer-of which my dad is a survivor, and one for cerebral palsy; as well as a 20 mile bike ride for the American Diabetes Association all in the last year) . It's not about the time it takes you to finish, but the fact that you are raising money for a worthy cause & participating! Life is not a spectator sport! The 3 miles will go by faster than you think in a group situation! Good luck!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    don't go out too fast.if you are not that fast to start with or you think that you would not be able to run the full 5k... I would suggest you start the race off power walking, then start running after the first mile. You should be able to pace a bunch of people during the time you start to speed up. The fact that you will pass a bunch of people will raise your confidence, and you will get a huge endorphan and adrenile boost during that time to speed you up... the warm up will also be helpful because it will get your body ready. Never go out too fast. NEVER!
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Look up the Couch to 5K program and then do it, it will take 9 weeks and then you will be able to jog a full 5k or 30 minutes without having to take a break...

I am doing week 4 and trust me, if you push yourself, you can do it and its not as hard as you assume.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    If you really want to know what you can do, go for some practice runs. There isn't much time left, but just the little bit you do have would help you achieve your goal.
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    If you haven't trained at all feel free to walk as much as you need to. You'll see plenty of people out there walking. I took several walk breaks on my first 5k (about 7 months ago) and still had fun. It's much better to go out and do a walk/jog than to try to jog all of it, be miserable and maybe hurt yourself. Rember...have fun and don't be afraid to walk.
  • Look up the Couch to 5K program and then do it, it will take 9 weeks and then you will be able to jog a full 5k or 30 minutes without having to take a break...

I am doing week 4 and trust me, if you push yourself, you can do it and its not as hard as you assume.
    Yes! C25k will work wonders! Good luck!!
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    C25K graduate! I ran my first 5K on about week 6 or 7 of the program :D And even now after a break of YEARS of regular running I can do 5km (at a plod, but it's still 5km!)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Your 18. you will have youth. I see the C25K program brought up. How many weeks? count back from 9. That's your starting point.
    Don't worry if you got to walk it, but hold a little back for the end to run it in for a finish.
  • I will be doing my second Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure for Breast Cancer research & awareness next month. Run, walk, or jog; it doesn't matter. I've done a combination of the 3 in the 3-5Ks that I have participated in thus far (one for breast cancer, one for colon cancer-of which my dad is a survivor, and one for cerebral palsy; as well as a 20 mile bike ride for the American Diabetes Association all in the last year) . It's not about the time it takes you to finish, but the fact that you are raising money for a worthy cause & participating! Life is not a spectator sport! The 3 miles will go by faster than you think in a group situation! Good luck!

Thanks a bunch! I am glad to hear your father is in good health, by the way. The main reason I am doing this is because almost everyone in my family (including my father) had breast cancer. It is really prominent, but I'm sure that if I keep myself checked, I'll take it in control. Thanks for the group idea, I'll start planning a group today! <3

btw. 20 mile bike ride? Holy Jesus that is fantastic!
  • don't go out too fast.if you are not that fast to start with or you think that you would not be able to run the full 5k... I would suggest you start the race off power walking, then start running after the first mile. You should be able to pace a bunch of people during the time you start to speed up. The fact that you will pass a bunch of people will raise your confidence, and you will get a huge endorphan and adrenile boost during that time to speed you up... the warm up will also be helpful because it will get your body ready. Never go out too fast. NEVER!

Ahh, that's a great idea! I tend to walk a bit and get my legs warmed up for the initial jog. I'll try to stay persistent until the end, but I'll keep a confident pace, eventually sprinting on the last few steps. Thanks for the help!
  • Look up the Couch to 5K program and then do it, it will take 9 weeks and then you will be able to jog a full 5k or 30 minutes without having to take a break...

I've actually looked into that before! It doesn't seem too hard, though. It is a little too late for my current goal, but it will definitely help my on my long term one! It's good to know that it is working out for you, kind of inspires me to try it out. Thanks!
  • If you really want to know what you can do, go for some practice runs. There isn't much time left, but just the little bit you do have would help you achieve your goal.

I'll get up earlier in the morning and do some morning jogs to get me warmed up. Thanks!
    If you haven't trained at all feel free to walk as much as you need to. You'll see plenty of people out there walking. I took several walk breaks on my first 5k (about 7 months ago) and still had fun. It's much better to go out and do a walk/jog than to try to jog all of it, be miserable and maybe hurt yourself. Rember...have fun and don't be afraid to walk.

Now that I look at it logically, I will jog as much as I can of it. I shouldn't be too ashamed walking a bit, as many other will be doing it. Thanks for the inspiration! <3

Edit:

It seems like there are a LOT of great reviews for C25K, and I decided to try it out! It wouldn't particularly help my current goal, but it would be awesome for my long term one! Thanks for all the help everyone!!
  • Good luck & dont go to fast! Im startin week 7 of c25k tomorrow (runnin 25 mins straight)... 6 weeks ago I couldnt even run a minute & a half! Now im runnin 2 miles in 25 mins.. Its crazy! Hope everythin works out for u! I do wanna do a 5k soon.. Im hopin once I finish the program, i'll def do one!! :happy:
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    I will be doing my second Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure for Breast Cancer research & awareness next month. Run, walk, or jog; it doesn't matter. I've done a combination of the 3 in the 3-5Ks that I have participated in thus far (one for breast cancer, one for colon cancer-of which my dad is a survivor, and one for cerebral palsy; as well as a 20 mile bike ride for the American Diabetes Association all in the last year) . It's not about the time it takes you to finish, but the fact that you are raising money for a worthy cause & participating! Life is not a spectator sport! The 3 miles will go by faster than you think in a group situation! Good luck!

Thanks a bunch! I am glad to hear your father is in good health, by the way. The main reason I am doing this is because almost everyone in my family (including my father) had breast cancer. It is really prominent, but I'm sure that if I keep myself checked, I'll take it in control. Thanks for the group idea, I'll start planning a group today! <3

btw. 20 mile bike ride? Holy Jesus that is fantastic!

Thanks so much, yes there is breast cancer in my extended family as well as tons of diabetes (trying to avoid it myself, as I am pre-diabetic), as well as cancer, heart disease, etc. Thank God my dad is well, I hope your dad and other family member beat the disease as well! Take care of yourself and be an encouragement for others to do so also! As for the 20 mile bike ride, I have to admit that I had not really ridden a bike in about 8 years (used to ride trails with my boys), I raised as much money as I could, bought a bike at Wal-Mart for &164, rode it to the end of my street and back once, and then did the 20 miles! I must admit that on about mile 8.5 I seriously thought that they would have to put me on a bus or something at the 10 mile turn around point and drive me back! LOL, my friend that did it with me (who routinely runs & bikes and is about 15 years my junior) commented laughingly, "You know training might have been a good idea!" Haha, by ten miles however, I got my second wind along with 3 cups of Gatorade & a Cliff bar fb by a somewhat memorable porta potty break, and made it the rest of the way back in decent time! Lol! You can do it! Focus on the goal, but do it one step at a time!