SOS! Weight loss plateau!

Options
Ang_syl
Ang_syl Posts: 6 Member
edited October 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I started my weight loss journey in May. I started at 170 and I’m down to 156. I have my calorie intake set to 1500/day but the scale hasn’t moved since August and I’m feeling defeated. I’m only consuming around 70-100g protein a day, I’m also 33 for reference. Not sure what to do to break through. I’ve only lost around 3lbs since August. I changed my calories from 1200 to 1500 at that time. I’m wondering if I should up them more? My ultimate goal would be 140lbs.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your food logging?

Are you using a food scale? Making most of your own meals?

Good threads to read: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey in May. I started at 170 and I’m down to 156. I have my calorie intake set to 1500/day but the scale hasn’t moved since August and I’m feeling defeated. I’m only consuming around 70-100g protein a day, I’m also 33 for reference. Not sure what to do to break through. I’ve only lost around 3lbs since August. I changed my calories from 1200 to 1500 at that time. I’m wondering if I should up them more? My ultimate goal would be 140lbs.

Hi,

The closer you get to your goal, the harder it can be sometimes.
    First, check through the food log. Make sure everything is tracked correctly. Some foods are easy to miscalculate. Are you heavy on sugar or carbs? Some bodies hang onto carbs/sugar harder than others. Sometimes just reducing the sugar or carbs can push you into that next level.

Second, can you up your activity or exercise?

Third, play with the calories. You may have to go up or down depending on your body needs. For a week, try 1,400 or 1,600 calories.

Fourth--you can try a varied calorie week. Eat your regular 1500 calories on 6 days, on the 7th try eating 1,700 on just that one day. For some people, that will push the body forward.

I know people will disagree or have other strategies. That's okay. You have to find what works for you--so sometimes you have to try a lot of different things. Everyone is different.

L
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,777 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    You’re not in a calorie deficit so you’ll need to lower weekly calories or add more activity or a combo of both
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Assuming your food and exercise logging is accurate (and that is a big assumption, because it is very easy to make mistakes, see: # 25 here: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/ ), upping your calories to lose weight only works under unusual circumstances. See # 1 and 2:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-eating-more-calories-can-make-you-lose-weight/

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Also, since you only have 16 pounds to lose, it's going to be very slow. Use a weight trending app such as Happy Scale (iphone) or Libra (Android) and focus on the trend, not the individual weigh-ins. I have Happy Scale and use the “Moving Average” as my official weight.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,777 Member
    Options
    Raising weekly calories will not cause Fatloss. Sometimes it MAY result in the ability of more activity being added however that added activity would have to increase enough to compensate which is difficult plus more activity usually results in added hunger.
  • Cats_fitness_journey
    Options
    Increase protein, I eat about 140-160 g a day (I also weight train, which is something I highly recommend if you don’t already do) your body burns 30% of calories from protein just to digest it!
  • kiteflyer105
    kiteflyer105 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would eat more vegetables without butter or sauces on them. How is your water? If you've been weight lifting, that will mean you gain weight. However, you can still shrink clothing sizes, about 3 just from weight lifting. Change your exercise routine every 6 weeks. Your body gets adjusted to your routine rather quickly. Do HITT cardio. (Google it)

"HIIT stands for High-Intensity Interval Training. It is a type of cardiovascular exercise that involves short bursts of high-intensity exercise followed by periods of rest or low-intensity exercise. HIIT workouts are designed to increase your heart rate and burn calories in a shorter amount of time than traditional cardio workouts. They can be done with or without equipment and can be customized to fit your fitness level and goals."

This should help you get off your plateau. Good luck.
  • kiteflyer105
    kiteflyer105 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    file:///C:/Users/susan/Downloads/Body-For-Life-Cardio.pdf

Check this out. Google this. It explains how to do it.

Eating protein and vegetables is the best way to lose weight, decrease carbs to 50g or less. Listen to a nutritionist, or their guidelines. If you are super serious, 20 g of carbs works even better. I am not a medical professional . See a nutritionist. Then they can give you all the answers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    I would eat more vegetables without butter or sauces on them. How is your water? If you've been weight lifting, that will mean you gain weight. However, you can still shrink clothing sizes, about 3 just from weight lifting. Change your exercise routine every 6 weeks. Your body gets adjusted to your routine rather quickly. Do HITT cardio. (Google it)

"HIIT stands for High-Intensity Interval Training. It is a type of cardiovascular exercise that involves short bursts of high-intensity exercise followed by periods of rest or low-intensity exercise. HIIT workouts are designed to increase your heart rate and burn calories in a shorter amount of time than traditional cardio workouts. They can be done with or without equipment and can be customized to fit your fitness level and goals."

This should help you get off your plateau. Good luck.

Color me skeptical.

I've been doing pretty much the same exercise for 20+ years, obese and thin. Other than the slight calorie reduction from doing it at a much lighter body weight, it still burns the number of calories it always did. (It's not HIIT cardio. At least not usually.)

Exercise calorie burn is primarily from the work done, in the physics sense of "work". It feels easier as we get fitter, but the same duration and objective intensity exercise at the same body weight burns about the same number of calories. Efficiency differences (from increased skill) for most activities are a minor factor.

Also, I've definitely lost weight while weight lifting, as have many others.

Weight lifting can trigger a bit of water retention and increase weight that way, but beyond that it only increases total body weight if a person eats in a surplus. Weight training in a calorie deficit will result in little (and slow) muscle mass gain, if any; and if mass gain occurs it can be partly fueled from stored body fat. Strength increases, especially the early stages, don't require adding new muscle mass - neuromuscular adaptation increase strength at first, and usually faster. Someone eating around maintenance calories and strength training in the right ways would be expected to be relatively weight stable, but get smaller because muscle is more compact than fat, pound for pound.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Increase protein, I eat about 140-160 g a day (I also weight train, which is something I highly recommend if you don’t already do) your body burns 30% of calories from protein just to digest it!

No! The body doesn't need more energy digesting protein than with other food. It also makes no sense from an evolutionary standpoint. Also, just throwing an arbitrary protein number in here is not helpful. That you eat so much doesn't mean TO needs to eat so much. Heck, she started out with 1500 calories/day. 140g of protein would be 1/3 of her calorie intake. Sure, some people like this, some people who do professional strength training probably need it. But not a normal person who possibly moves around a bit. Totally unnecessary. I agree though that weight training is good. Not for weightloss, but for general health.
  • yirara
    Options
    Please correct me, but I think originally HIIT workouts were meant as one way to increase cardiovascular fitness and not calorie burn. Actual HIIT is so intense that most people can't do it, and those that do still get close to throwing up. I'd guess a relaxed 1hr run still burns more calories than such a workout (yeah, I understand that one has to be able to run for an hour as well). But overall, from many years of experience, weightloss happens in the kitchen anyway and not by exercising. The average person is just not able to burn a substantial amount of calories every day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    Yeah, people who say they're doing HIIT? I would definitely not call (most of) it HIIT. Intervals, maybe.

And yeah, what Ann and Rodney said, too.
  • gojira54godzilla
    gojira54godzilla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Curious, how tall are you?? That can help answer this a little better too
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

No! The body doesn't need more energy digesting protein than with other food. It also makes no sense from an evolutionary standpoint. Also, just throwing an arbitrary protein number in here is not helpful. That you eat so much doesn't mean TO needs to eat so much. Heck, she started out with 1500 calories/day. 140g of protein would be 1/3 of her calorie intake. Sure, some people like this, some people who do professional strength training probably need it. But not a normal person who possibly moves around a bit. Totally unnecessary. I agree though that weight training is good. Not for weightloss, but for general health.

Actually, it does, whether it makes evolutionary sense or not.
    Some of the calories in the food you eat are used to digest, absorb, metabolize, and store the remaining food, and some are burned off as heat. This process is known under various names, notably diet-induced thermogenesis (DIT), specific dynamic action (SDA), and the thermic effect of food (TEF).[1][2]

The TEF represents about 10% of the caloric intake of healthy adults who eat a standard mixed-macronutrient diet,[3] but your actual number will depend on several factors, including your age and the meal timing, and macronutrient composition — carbs, fat, and protein — of your meal. The energy required to digest each macronutrient (its TEF) can be expressed as a percentage of the energy provided by the macronutrient:[4][5]

Fat provides 9 calories per gram, and its TEF is 0–3%.
    Carbohydrate provides 4 calories per gram, and its TEF is 5–10%.
    Protein provides 4 calories per gram, and its TEF is 20–30%.

That's from https://examine.com/outcomes/thermic-effect-of-food/ , but it's kind of motherhood and apple pie standard information, cited in many places.

It's true, but the effect isn't typically a caloric world-beater in practical numeric terms. There's only so much protein a person is going to eat if they want to be healthy, because nutritional balance matters. (Most of us will want to eat a mixed diet.)

For example, I eat about 120g of protein most days (5'5" woman), so 480 calories of protein, a fairly high protein intake for my demographic. The TEF might be as much as 96-144 calories, compared with 24-48 calories of TEF for 480 calories of carbs, or 0-14 for 480 calories of fats. That's an actual difference, but not really life-changing when it comes to weight management.

• yirara
    Options
    You're right @AnnP77, I stand corrected. Please do give me a virtual Woo! <3
  • collinsje1
    collinsje1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Now this is all personal example and will not work for everyone but it can't hurt to try if you're stuck. I have found that when my weight loss stalls out or slows way down. I can typically take a weekend off and by off, I mean eat 250-500 more calories than I normally would. And its typically not "healthy food" I'm taking like go to the bar and get a greasy burger and a mountain of French fries" or something like that. Now initially the next week i will up up in weight 1-4 pounds for a week or so due to water weight, but that starts to fall off pretty quickly and typically it continues to snowball down right on past where i was stuck.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    collinsje1 wrote: »
    Now this is all personal example and will not work for everyone but it can't hurt to try if you're stuck. I have found that when my weight loss stalls out or slows way down. I can typically take a weekend off and by off, I mean eat 250-500 more calories than I normally would. And its typically not "healthy food" I'm taking like go to the bar and get a greasy burger and a mountain of French fries" or something like that. Now initially the next week i will up up in weight 1-4 pounds for a week or so due to water weight, but that starts to fall off pretty quickly and typically it continues to snowball down right on past where i was stuck.
    There's some scientific basis for phenomena like that, maybe. More info in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

For some people, one thing is obvious: If there's been some digestive slowing (a possible thing during loss, among other times), that grease will tend to help the digestive tract empty out. ;):D
  • KerryBSoCal
    KerryBSoCal Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This discussion is so interesting to me. I’m 73, have lost 40 pounds since April, but have stage 3a chronic kidney disease. I’m on a plateau as well but have to limit protein to 60g per day. How do I keep muscle mass as I try to lose 20 more pounds?