3 days and no weight drop

Options
Hello, I’m a senior who began dieting and using the app since the first week of august. Goal was to loose 12 lb. Been religiously logging & sticking to 1200 healthy calories/ day (occasionally fewer) and lost 2 lb week walk between 12000-22,000 steps per day. I am using intermittent fasting most days at 16 or better hours. Now, with 6 lb to go, doing exactly as I have, I have zero weight loss 3 days in a row . App indicates I’m getting all the protein. I don’t eat sugar and rarely fruit. What can I do? Should I drop daily calories to 1000?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    With this little to lose, it's going to be slow, and should be slow, as you do not have the fat stores to support a more aggressive rate of loss. I suggest using a weight trend app, such as Happy Scale for iphone or Libra for Android.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Baby steps!
  • Latrellis
    Latrellis Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    How are your steps calculated? Is possible your tracker is picking up arm, upper body movement, sometimes this can make one think it's all steps. Depending of the pace, you should be burning a lot of cals, that's approx 6-11 miles daily
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,879 Member
    Options
    6lbs in 3 weeks as a beyond very active senior with 12lbs to go to goal.
    Now at 6lbs to go and three days of scale stability.
    That's a large deficit and a lot of stress.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,291 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about the interpretation of 'senior' - could it be high school senior? Which would make 1200 calories even more aggressive.
  • sarahswhere1391
    sarahswhere1391 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Could I suggest a week of eating Maintenance calories.
    It will give your body and mind a break from deficit. Continue with your current activity levels. After one week go back to deficit and you will notice that the plateau has been conquered 👍
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Three days isn’t a plateau.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'm wondering about the interpretation of 'senior' - could it be high school senior? Which would make 1200 calories even more aggressive.

I assumed high school senior but it could also mean older person.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,879 Member
    Options
    I assumed AARP member🫣🥺🤷‍♂️
  • msmettalife9824
    msmettalife9824 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I am 65 years old. I did break the plateau by increasing fasting to over 16-18 hours while holding consistent calories at 1200. I am now at my ideal weight coming in at 131-133lb but, would like to take 2" off my waist and struggling with that for over a month despite exercise programs. It's a work in progress. And as mentioned above, patience and persistence helped me on top of increasing fasting and holding caloric intake.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
  • kshama2001
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I am 65 years old. I did break the plateau by increasing fasting to over 16-18 hours while holding consistent calories at 1200. I am now at my ideal weight coming in at 131-133lb but, would like to take 2" off my waist and struggling with that for over a month despite exercise programs. It's a work in progress. And as mentioned above, patience and persistence helped me on top of increasing fasting and holding caloric intake.

Thanks for the update :smiley:

Re taking 2" off your waist, what exactly is your exercise program and for how long have you been doing it? If for just a month, you'll need to give it loads more time, depending on how effective the program is, which is why I'd like details.

While you can't "spot reduce," you can change the composition of your body, but this will take time and effort and patience.

Sounds like you threw too much at your perceived plateau. You had a small amount to lose, so it should have been very slow, and patience would have served you better than fasting. While IF is indeed a valid strategy for creating a calorie deficit, sounds like you did it because you thought you had to, rather than it being something you wanted to do.

I just reread - if you lost 12 pounds since August 1, that's slightly over a pound a week, which is needlessly fast when you have that little to lose.

jmkqf06w2tbj.png
  • kidiki
    kidiki Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When the scale won’t budge, pullout the tape measure. I am amazed at the number of steps you are logging. Are your calories coming from nutritional food? Do high carb foods affect you? Probably looking at your progress history and comparing trends in your diet will shed light on what works best for your body.