I want to start running.

Options
I think the subject says it all. It's free overall, I've heard of the great benefits, etc...

Any tips for a novice? I mean completely novice. I've probably purposefully jogged/ran for exercise three times, and none of them were in the remotely near past. I also have a kind of small lung-capacity. I know that that is just a matter of expanding it with work, but any tips concerning that as well as just all around starting tips?

- I'd like to go buy one of those things that attaches your iPhone to your arm: I need the music, especially pumpin' music!
- I'm going to eventually buy some new good runners. I know a good place.
- Does anyone jog all-year-round? I live in Canada in the farthest north city with a population over a million in North America. Suffice to say it's COLD for part of the year. I'm talking - 40, same in both celsius and fahrenheit. Does anyone jog/run in that kind of climate and have any tips?

Thanks!

Replies

• redtalent
    redtalent Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Trying c25k but having hard time keeping to it!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Do it!

Start slow - you'll feel like you're gonna die, but just keep doing it, a couple of ks, 3 times a week, it's all about consistency.

Stretch

Get some good music and better shoes

Run somewhere pretty

Enter a race to work towards
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    C25k.... form a group to stay motivated!
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    here is the website for teh couch to 5K program. i couldnt even run for 60 seconds when i started and i'm up to 15 mins (237 lbs and totally out of shape) but i always dreamt of running and just decided to go for it. and yes, im in calgary, with -40 and lots of people run year round. you just got to layer and have a scarf over your face when it gets that cold. but when the windchill's really high you might want to find a treadmill instead.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

also google c25k podcasts. lots of people have created podcasts that cue you on when to run or walk. and i believe there's an app for your ipod that you can buy as well.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I love running! I love being the fat girl on the exercise circuit whizzing past people who are walking :D

Buy an armband thing, don't buy a belkin one, mine has cut/chafed my arm, i've googled and found it's a problem with the belkin brand.. not the other brands :)
    Get the C25K from somewhere, I think there are apps, I used a podcast from some guy (will give more info if you need) and it worked! It worked well and previous to that if you asked me to run I'd normally ask "Why, am I late for a bus?"
    I live in a near tropical environment and the coldest we get is like 5*C so I can't help on the climate issue :)
  • jomar75
    Options
    I am doing the couch to 5k also. It really eases you into running. If I'm struggling to complete the next level, I'm content to repeat the previous one until I get strong enough for the next. I have asthma and I feel that the running is definatley helping me improve my lung capacity and I'm putting one of those Ipod/iphone sleeves on my Christmas list....I want want too! :)
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am a new runner too (I started this spring)! I would recommend starting on a treadmill, unless you get REALLY bored (I use music). The treadmill allows you to know how fast you are going and keep a steady pace. I then moved outside and I do like that more, but I know what I can and can't handle. I'm from New England, so it does get cold! Last winter I couldn't run outside because it was freezing, but I am hoping to ease myself into it this year as it gets colder, as well as making sure I am properly dressed.

I know a lot of people who have done the couch to 5k program and had awesome results. I never did it, but I built myself up slowly in a similar way. Don't be afraid of going slow - I am still a slow poke! I was always the kid in gym at high school who couldn't run an entire lap around the 0.25 mile track. Yesterday I ran 6 miles for the first time! Now I think anything is possible hahaha.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    C25K here as well. I got a sleeve for super cheap from Amazon.com. I use the Runkeeper app to calculate all my running stats and the NHS C25K podcast to guide me on my runs.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Do it!!

I used couch 2 5k and loved it! google it for a schedule and you can also download an app to your phone.

Agree w/ the advice to enter a race--it really helped motivate me.

Get good runners NOW--don't wait! This is my #1 peice of advice--it will help you avoid injury, plus investing in a good pair of running shoes will give added motivation to USE them--lol!

I live in Chicago and plan to run INDOORS once there is snow on the ground or the temp drops below freezing (whichever comes 1st). I used to run outside in the cold when I was in college, and it's definitely harder on the lungs. Going to skip the hassle of bundling up, buying winter running shoes, etc. and just hit the treadmill during the coldest portion of winter.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    C25K is definitely a good way to start. And consistency is key. If you're not consistent with sticking to the schedule, you can't expect to make very good progress. I was extremely overweight when I decided to start running (see my sig) & I made up my own schedule that progressed MUCH slower than C25K. But I never skipped a workout, & that dedication paid off.

I've maintained my endurance by continuing to run at least twice a week, though a month or 2 ago a friend talked me into signing up for a 10k so I've been training for that 3x a week. Even though I run slow, my endurance is excellent & I am 100% certain I'll be able to run that 10k this Saturday straight through, no walking, in less than an hour & a half. My friend, on the other hand, only started training a month ago & hadn't run at all for over a year. She is at a healthy weight & runs much faster, but can't maintain her pace for more than a couple of miles, so she's probably going to have to do some walking. Plus she feels like she's going to die for a good part of the run. Fun, huh?

I, on the other hand, completed my longest run ever yesterday (6.6 miles = 10.6k), an hour & a half at a nice leisurely pace & not once felt like I was going to die. I've conditioned my body to handle the longer & longer runs by creating & sticking to a training schedule. I was tempted to skip workouts, of course, but I knew that if I did, it would make the next run harder & it was too important to me to keep progressing so that was my motivation.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Go for it!!! I always thought I couldn't run, even when I was working as a personal trainer!!!! this summer I found out yet another family member was being treated for cancer and I decided to do the Terry Fox run. In 6 weeks I was able to do 5km. the first night was truly aweful - less than 1km and I was sore to 3 days! I'm not 20 anymore, so to be more gentle on my knees I bought the best shoes I could find and only ran 3 times per week. sometimes only 2. I did lower impact cardio another 2-3 days per week, making sure there was at least one full rest day, sometimes 2.
    i find that it is mostly a mental exercise, you really need to believe in yourself and commit to it. clear your mind of everything but a couple positive phrases. I also use the same breathing pattern every time (matching my steps: in, in, in, strong out.)
    stretching is important too! and you'll learn through trial and error what time of day is best and how long after eating is best too.
    since I'm a newbie too, and I live in Canada, I'm looking forward to other people answering your questions about running outside all year.
    best of luck to you!!!!! let us know how it goes!
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I bought an app for my iphone for C25K and I really enjoy it. I have the opposite problem than you up in Canada. It's been over 100 degrees for over 85 days in a row this summer. The time that I can walk/run is when the temp is reaching that 100 degree mark. I just had to break down my time. Instead of doing an hour 3 times a week, I had to go to doing 30 minutes 4 to 5 times a week. Now that the temp is getting cooler (it's only 90-95 at the time that I go), it's easier to go further, faster.

Good luck to you. I don't handle the cold weather very well, so I'm not so sure that I could handle jogging in the cold. If you have problems, look for a good gym or treadmill.
  • mikelsmith4
    Options
    from a recreational coach....

1) take it easy. highly recommend mixing running and walking for all your runs for awhile...2-3 months. gradually increase the time.

2) go no more than 4 times per week, MAX. I'd recommend starting at 3, with 1 of those days being your "long" run where you actually go for distance vs time. Your other runs, go no more than 30 mins. ALL of these runs should be at a conservative pace for awhile. Do the "talk test". If you can't comfortably talk while running, you are going too fast.

3) figure out a good run/walk ratio, based on what an "all out" mile for you is. Basically go to the track, run a mile as fast as you can (remember, you are going a mile, not sprinting) and from there you can determine a good run/walk ratio. For more advice on this, pick up one of Jeff Galloway's training books.

4) Enjoy it! It's a wonderful past time if done correctly and very possible to do it for a long time injury free. The biggest mistake most people make is over-training and simply not getting enough recovery. Recovery days are just as important as the run days.

5) A goal race...such as "finish a 10K" is always a good motivator.

6) find a group, or at least a buddy. just like with weight loss, group support goes miles (literally) in helping you be successful.

As you progress, you can start to introduce things like faster workouts, etc, but you are at least 6 months of consistent running/walking before you should consider those things. Let your body adapt before you put too much on it or you will stat to flirt with injury very quickly!

Good luck,
    Mike
  • cebadu
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I bought that app. It looks awesome.You all gave great advice! I'm feeling really inspired!
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I myself got a treadmill this past winter. My young kids use it more than me. I just get bored on it. But I'm one that loves to take walks..etc I did a 5K this weekend, and I enjoyed it. I jogged it in about 37 mins. It may be slow for some, but some were slower than myself. I thought it would be a piece of cake since I do intense work-outs 5-6 times a week. Boy was I wrong! Day 1 both my 12 yr. old and myself felt like old people. I'm still a little sore, but it's better than yesterday. We would do it in a heartbeat again though. I'm planning on preparing this time as I'm thinking of doing a 5mile race with my son in November, but I fear the cold weather. My son and I are going to start to jog/run on Saturday mornings together. Maybe do something like this to start slow. Trust me you don't want to be sore for 2 days as I would. Good Luck!!