Low-Carbers on MFP?

Options
I'm brand new to MyFitnessPal and am particularly interested in getting to know other low-carb dieters online as I try to lose the last 20 pounds. I've done low-carb since November 2010, lost 105 pounds so far, and 26% body fat (see my pics), but all on my own. And also, if anyone is interested in low-carb dieting or new to it altogether, I'd love to share my knowledge and learn from others all the same.

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'm on more of a low bread / starch diet, so I still eat all the veggies I want. I'm pretty much at the end of the trail where I need to gain some muscle in order to lose the rest of the fat.
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have been low carb for a year now, and have lost 158 pounds I'd love another low carb buddy :)
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    Congratulations on your impressive weight loss. I have also learned that I only lose weight if I manage both net calories and keep my carb intake low. This was tough for me - but I have proven it to my self multiple times that hummus, carrots and oatmeal keep me from losing weight.

I have been managing to about100-125 grams per day, and this is working. (35 pounds lost prior to joining this site). I am curious about diets such as Ducan that follow a pattern of eating, alternating very low carb days with low carb days. Do you have any insights or experience with these approaches?
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm sensitive to wheat and any sprouted grain so I'm naturally low carb! I eat mostly protein, but I do have polenta or rice pasta on occasion.
  • illby1
    Options
    Congrats on your progress!! I am also going low carb. I have been off and on it for awhile now. I have been doing better lately and have lost about 60 lbs so far. I didn't start keeping track on MFP until June of this year,so I am only down 33lbs according to my weight tracker.

I have found that low carb has worked for me better than most "diets" in the past. I understand that it is more of a change in lifestyle and you have to commit yourself to it everyday. I guess it just doesn't seem like I am on a diet.... I can eat things I like and seems like a small price to pay to skip the sugar/breads,etc... I have a long journey in front of me yet, but a really close friend of mine is doing it as well,so we have each other to kind of keep each other on track.

So congrats and I wish you the best on your last 20lbs.... YOU WILL DO IT!!!!

Scotty B
  • sonic_the_cat
    sonic_the_cat Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Another low-carber here. Started with 103 to lose and am down to my last 34. Yippee! While trying to lose I try to keep my net carbs at 20-30 per day.

Just started with MFP a month or so ago. I like the convenience of the bar code scanner when logging on the go.

Looks like you've had great progress! Keep it up.
  • Cookie22684
    Cookie22684 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I recently started eating low carb last week , i find it hard to find foods high in fiber, i am trying to lose the last few pounds hopefully low carb will help, i can definitely see myself doing this long term , feel free to add me
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I try to make low carb choices, but do have a few indulgences every now and then. For anyone who's interested, I just found these "Sonoma carb cutting tortillas" that are a wonder food in my book: taste nice, 60 cals, 11 carbs, 5g fiber, whole wheat...yummm. feel free to add me as a friend if you like- dlj
  • sonic_the_cat
    sonic_the_cat Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I try to make low carb choices, but do have a few indulgences every now and then. For anyone who's interested, I just found these "Sonoma carb cutting tortillas" that are a wonder food in my book: taste nice, 60 cals, 11 carbs, 5g fiber, whole wheat...yummm. feel free to add me as a friend if you like- dlj

Love, love, love these! I even make 'em into dessert with cream cheese, splenda, cinnamon and some chopped pecans.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I'm on a very low carb diet at the moment - aiming for less than 20g net per day. I just started last week though, so I haven't seen a lot of progress, but my stomach looks a tad flatter. ;) I miss all the carby sugary things I used to eat, but steak and homemade hollandaise made up for it.... :D My ratio is around 65/30/5.

And to the person who was interested in the Dukan diet - I wouldn't really recommend it. It works... but low carb diets also need to be high fat, moderate protein diets to be healthy - otherwise your body doesn't have enough energy to burn and while burning protein can burn muscle too.
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Those of you into low carb should look into the Paleo lifestyle and the Primal Blueprint. I've lost 31 lbs in just 3 months and my blood sugars are normal. It's amazing.
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just starting low-carbing about 3 weeks ago. Although I've only lost 5 pounds, my jeans fit a bit better! I also noticed my cravings are all but gone....I can actually cook a meal for my family, include high carb stuff for them (mac 'n cheese) and easily resist eating it. I haven't had a piece of bread since I started!!! I just wonder why I'm not having the "amazing" losses most low-carbers do in the beginning...any ideas? Is it because I'm not doing the "crazy low" carb but the "moderately low" carb? I keep it under 50 grams. If it's just going to come off slower I can deal with that, as long as it's GOING to come off!
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I just starting low-carbing about 3 weeks ago. Although I've only lost 5 pounds, my jeans fit a bit better! I also noticed my cravings are all but gone....I can actually cook a meal for my family, include high carb stuff for them (mac 'n cheese) and easily resist eating it. I haven't had a piece of bread since I started!!! I just wonder why I'm not having the "amazing" losses most low-carbers do in the beginning...any ideas? Is it because I'm not doing the "crazy low" carb but the "moderately low" carb? I keep it under 50 grams. If it's just going to come off slower I can deal with that, as long as it's GOING to come off!

There are certain foods that can stall weight loss for some people. Among these are sugar substitutes - especially sugar alcohols, but any can be a culprit - peanut butter, nuts in general, and low fat dairy. If you eat any of those, try cutting one of them out for a week, and see if it helps.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm on a very low carb diet at the moment - aiming for less than 20g net per day. I just started last week though, so I haven't seen a lot of progress, but my stomach looks a tad flatter. ;) I miss all the carby sugary things I used to eat, but steak and homemade hollandaise made up for it.... :D My ratio is around 65/30/5.

And to the person who was interested in the Dukan diet - I wouldn't really recommend it. It works... but low carb diets also need to be high fat, moderate protein diets to be healthy - otherwise your body doesn't have enough energy to burn and while burning protein can burn muscle too.
    I read both Atkins and Dukan. Atkins is easier to do. I'm in induction right now also-less than 20g net.
  • loreleijade
    loreleijade Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, i have a question, what exactly do you consider low carb level? The thing is I'm trying to go low carb, I've completely eliminated bread, pasta, potatoes, etc but I don't want to give up on veggies and fruits and is seems that easily puts me in a range of 100-120g daily.
    The info I got is pretty confusing,on 1 site I've read stuff that says your diet is considered low carb if you keep it under 50g a day and on an other is said that it's low carb if it's under 150. Where's the truth and can you give me some advice on how to stay low carb but with veggies and fruit?
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    Reading Primal Blue Print was actually what got me into low-carb. I love Mark Sisson's blog, too!
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    I have been low carb for a year now, and have lost 158 pounds I'd love another low carb buddy :)

That is awesome! Definintely would be good to have you as a low-carb buddy as I progress.
  • psychmz3
    psychmz3 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Started Keto 3 days ago. Loving it so far!
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    Hey guys, i have a question, what exactly do you consider low carb level? The thing is I'm trying to go low carb, I've completely eliminated bread, pasta, potatoes, etc but I don't want to give up on veggies and fruits and is seems that easily puts me in a range of 100-120g daily.
    The info I got is pretty confusing,on 1 site I've read stuff that says your diet is considered low carb if you keep it under 50g a day and on an other is said that it's low carb if it's under 150. Where's the truth and can you give me some advice on how to stay low carb but with veggies and fruit?

The magic number of carbs per day isn't well defined for low-carb diets, unfortunately. However, a lot of low-carbers will talk about their number in relation to remaining in a state of ketosis, whereby your body begins to use stored body fat for energy in the absence of a lot of carbs. You can determine whether you're in ketosis using ketosis sticks (usually found in the pharmacy section of a store, near the diabetic products). So one approach is assess how much fruits and veggies your body can handle while staying in ketosis. Regular exercise will also help maximize whatever this limit may be for you.

Ketosis is the primary reason Atkins' induction phase limits net carbs to 20-25 per day, which makes fitting fruits into the diet tough. Generally, your greener veggies, like romaine lettuce or green beans, are low-carb enough to work, but fruits are much tougher to incorporate in Atkins' induction phase. Consider that one banana is about 30 carbs. But for some people, they may be able to fit 60 net carbs per day and stay in ketosis, which would allow more flexibility when including fruits in your diet.

Hope this helps.
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options

Consider that weight is comprised of many components--bones, water, muscle, fat, etc.... Using a scale alone, it's difficult to tell whether a one net pound loss is the result of two pounds of fat lost with one pound of lean muscle gained or vice versa. Ketostix can help you indirectly assess whether you're in ketosis (i.e. using stored body fat for energy). Comparing various body measures over time can help assess if you might be gaining muscle (if you're gaining weight and losing body fat). Hormones also play a role in body weight regulations. For example, if you're constantly stressed out, the hormone cortisol has a biochemical way of working against you with losing weight. All I'm saying is that there are a lot of factors to be aware of outside of the number on the scale.