Feeding family

Options
Hey there.. anyone else struggle with knowing what to cook for your families that would fit within your plan? I find myself cooking completely different meals from everyone else very frequently so I’m able to measure out my food and keep everything under control but it’s exhausting.

I have 5 kids (3 are hungry teenage boys) and a husband who eat a ton… lots of meat and pasta type meals, and tons of pizza and “junk” like that. Does anyone have any meal suggestions that are healthy enough for me but very filling and would satisfy my growing boys too? I’m running out of ideas!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    My partner and I often still eat the same things; I just tweak my proportions.

The MFP default macros are 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat. Before I started keeping an eye on that, I was probably eating a little less protein, and a little more carbs and fat. I have found it useful to increase my portions of meat, non starchy vegetables, and fruit. With fruit, I'm less likely to want carb and fat-heavy baked goods or ice cream.

When we have pasta or pizza, I have less pasta and more protein and veggies, or less pizza and a large salad, with some cottage cheese for a protein boost.
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    kbrown1527 wrote: »
    Hey there.. anyone else struggle with knowing what to cook for your families that would fit within your plan? I find myself cooking completely different meals from everyone else very frequently so I’m able to measure out my food and keep everything under control but it’s exhausting.

I have 5 kids (3 are hungry teenage boys) and a husband who eat a ton… lots of meat and pasta type meals, and tons of pizza and “junk” like that. Does anyone have any meal suggestions that are healthy enough for me but very filling and would satisfy my growing boys too? I’m running out of ideas!

I can relate, I have 3 kids and the GF to feed. I usually will just tweak my portions, and if I need something else I will add in a salad or my favorite supplement to meals is air-fryer broccoli/cauliflower (1/2t garlic powder-onion powder-pepper, 1/4t salt, sprinkle of ginger powder, and 2T oil. Mix and fry at 400 for 6min) My only real issue is snack food type things which I will just grab a protein bar or raw veggies nowadays. Hope it helps.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Make more entrees where the protein is separate from the starchy/carb element, so you can enjoy the same main dish. Eat more salads or veggies, and serve bread, pasta, or potatoes to the ones who need the extra calories--they can eat the salad, as well.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it's easy to work around when you make things separate. When I'm serving family I have stopped making many of those all in one meals like casseroles or stews where everything is mixed together. No matter what the entre is, I make sure there is protein, veg, & a salad.

I have settled more on buffet-style for those family meals-- put all the food out & let everyone take what they want.

I make the protein separate, put condiments on the side, and if there's a sauce or something I put it in a measuring cup on the side for easy pouring. I put any buns on the side, too, if it's like burgers or hot dogs, or tortilla wraps if it's tacos or something, again people can take & fix their own.

I prep a big-*kitten* garden salad a couple times per week, so I throw some of that out on the table and put dressings on the side.

I'll make a steamed or roasted veggie, again no sauces or anything, maybe just a light brush of olive oil or squirt of lemon.

And I put out potatoes or rice or pasta for the carb eaters, which I don't touch.

Then everyone can fix their own plates, eating what they liked, or skip what they don't want. I can balance my own plate better and they're not deprived.

If they want pizza or something I either make myself a low-carb pizza that night, or I skip it and cook chicken legs and salad; they eat it with the pizza and I eat it without.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    kbrown1527 wrote: »

MEAL EXAMPES

Pork Chops, Baked Potatoes, and Green Beans
    You don't have to change everything. You can tweak a couple of recipes to make them healthier or control portions. Or you could do 2 healthy meals a week and three of what they are used to.
    lean grill pork chops, baked potatoes, and steamed green beans would be filling and really aren't that bad for you. You can also do roasted garlic mini potatoes in the air fryer. Pork chops in the oven, on grill, or in air fryer are less calories than frying. A baked potato always depends on what you put on it. You could load their potatoes up and put something friendly on yours Or you could do the roasted garlic mini potatoes--good, tasty and not bad. Green beans are often friendly to your calories.

FAJITAS
    Fajitas are almost always a good choice. Lean grilled strips of steak or chicken with seasoning. Fresh cut grilled peppers and onions with garlic/onion/touch of paprika. Add sides of refried beans and corn salsa. Optional add-on of sour cream. If you are light on the actual tortillas and sour cream, this is a very healthy, tasty meal that almost everyone enjoys.

https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/steak-fajitas/

CHILI--you can make some really healthy, tasty chilis. Some people really like chicken chilis.

PIZZA---Pizza really isn't that awful as long as you don't have half of it. Try eating a big salad or even a piece of fruit beforehand will curb the hunger. Keep your portions to 2 pieces or less. Instead of meat lovers or extra cheese, see if they are open to a buffalo chicken pizza It has alot less calories. You can also make a lot of homemade pizzas with friendly calories. Turkey pepperoni, less cheese, more veggies. :

I have a couple of lower-calorie homemade pizzas ones I make. For example, I've used a thin Boboli thin crust pre-baked crust with turkey pepperoni, jalapenos, 1/2 cup sauce, and 1/4 cup cheese. It makes the calories per slice super-friendly. If you are want to spend the time, Bobby Flay's basic pizza dough recipe is simple to make--and delicious. Add more veggies and use turkey pepperoni or chicken as meat (if you want meat). I usually just eat regular pizza--I just eat 2 portions or less and add something healthier to it.

BURGERS---Grilled lean burger, tomato salsa, no or half a bun, grilled watermelon and grilled corn on the cob,

STIR FRY

ASIAN CHICKEN BURGERS

GRILLED Garlic or Lemon Pepper SHRIMP-- Serve with fruit salsa, grilled zuccinni. You could also do healthy baked onion rings, baked sweet potatoes. You can mix Splenda and cinnamon, spritz sweet potato with spray butter (low calorie) and sprinkle on cinnamon/splenda mixture.

AIR FRIED OR GRILLED UNBREADED CHICKEN WINGS (marinade and season raw)--serve with a spicy sauce or buffalo dipping sauce on the side. You could serve with Naan bread grilled with small amounts of cheese. You could serve with healthy baked onion rings. You could use the frozen 'Fast Food French Fries'--I make mine in the air fryer, but you can bake them as well. 12 fries are about 145 calories depending on brand.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Make some simple substitutions. Pizza? Make theirs “normal” and make yours on a Joseph’s Lavash instead of a thick crust. 120 calories for a whole sheet. Serve with a simple salad of lettuce and tomatoes. I also sub prosciutto for pepperoni on mine. It’s 1/3-1/2 the calories, although the turkey pepperoni isn’t half bad. Use fresh mozarella logs, too. They taste better and, for whatever reason, are much lower calorie than the preshredded stuff.

Lean ground beef for burgers. Lewis Bakeries makes a really really good “keto “ bun for 60 calories.

I smoke a lot of meats in my Ninja electric pellet smoker. It cooks quickly, and NO ONE complains about smoked meats. You can find pork tenderloin cuts as low as 130 cal/4 oz. Hughes and Stubbs both make excellent low cal sugar-free bbq sauces.

I grill extra chicken on Sunday nights to chop for wraps during the week. There’s low carb tortillas that are only 45 cal for a large one.

Tomato soup supplemented with a can of diced tomatoes and a sliced pack of Lidl or Aldi chicken sausages. Filling and warming.

If it’s something involving rice, I supplement rice with riced cauliflower. When it’s mixed in with rice, you won’t even notice it.

With pastas, I just eyeball and pull a serving out of the pot. After a while, one serving is more than adequate for me.

Lasagna- I use half the noodles. I also season ground chicken with Italian seasoning and let it sit in the fridge a couple of days before browning. No one will ever notice it’s not sausage. It’s delicious!

Get creative!

I find that, since I do all the cooking, people shut up and eat no matter what I put on the table, as long as it’s tasty. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I find that, since I do all the cooking, people shut up and eat no matter what I put on the table, as long as it’s tasty. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Haha love this. I'm the same way. Family either eats it, or they do something for themselves. But only time that happens is with my oldest if we have a potato dish. He'll go make eggs as he can't possibly be my son since he doesn't like potatoes! lol

• R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't make different meals per say, just different options/sides. If I make a stir-fry on rice, I just have less rice and more veggies. If I am making a lasagna, I have a smaller piece and have a salad or a side of broccoli instead of garlic bread. If we are having omelets, I either have it without toast or on 1 piece of toast. If we are having pizza for dinner, I just ensure my lunch and breakfast doesn't have as many carbs or calories to compensate for dinner. Instead of eating 1/2 a pizza, I just have 1 or 2 slices with a salad. For me, I still want to eat the food I like and just monitor portions. I find it easier to plan and log my food for the day in the morning so I know it works for my goals - of course adjusting throughout the day as needed for accuracy.