How do I accurately log this?

Options
Hi there. So...tomorrow I am doing a pot roast in the crockpot. I am doing a roast with loads of carrots, mushrooms, onions and some potato with a seasoning packet (15 cals per serving, 8 servings per packet). I am serving it over egg noodles for my family. I will only be eating the vegetables and some of the broth. I can easily log say...3 small onions, 2 cups carrots, 1/2 a potato and 30 cals of "sauce or broth". But since it simmers with the meat all day, will it pick up calories from the meat as well? Should I just quick add some extra? If so, how much?

Replies

• staceyb00
    staceyb00 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would enter the whole recipe into "my recipes" then divide by the number of servings you get. That way you will have an accurate calorie count.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would enter the whole recipe into "my recipes" then divide by the number of servings you get. That way you will have an accurate calorie count.

you could do this but just not log the part your not having, like the roast, and maybe half the amt of sauce
  • VulcanLover
    Options
    THat won't work since I am not eating any of the meat.
  • VulcanLover
    Options

you could do this but just not log the part your not having, like the roast, and maybe half the amt of sauce
    Maybe my question is unclear. Even if I do not eat the meat--I am assuming that because it will simmer with the veggies all day--that it will ADD calories to the other ingredients. My issue is how many?
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    log it as close as you can. if you're afraid it's off by a few calories it may or may not have leached from the meat end with a small deficit. being off by 20-30 calories isn't a big deal.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Thats the same as when you use particular cooking methods such as frying, smoking or dehydrating :(

I'd just count what you can, if you think there is a considerable amount add some more, its a part of counting calories I don't like.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Make up the recipe in MFP and include everything except the meat. Log the serving that you have.

I might then log a smidge of beef stock or a small serving of meat to your 'meal' to account for the meat juices that the sauce may have absorbed.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Maybe log it as beef broth? In addition to your season packet?
  • sheenades0804
    sheenades0804 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think it's hard to be perfect with this unless you have the time to put in a lot of effort to make sure everything is correct. I think as long as you save a few calories for minor errors that could go wrong then your fine. It's hard to be perfect on this thing even I wanna be perfect at logging in my calories but it doesn't always happen.