!!Newbie has a Question!!

Options
gsheehi28
gsheehi28 Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2023 in Getting Started
Hello everyone,
I just signed up and already have a question. Is this app worth it if you don't go premium? I can already see all the things i cant do because im not paying for the app.
I guess im really asking is it worth the money to pay for premium?
Ive been down this road with WW already and im hoping i can get new inspiration and less stress on this journey here with you all.

Anything helps and all is appreciated!

Thank you!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,274 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Depends on what your needs are? What are you already seeing that you can't do?
    I lost 75lbs using the free version, it really didn't hold me back. But perhaps my needs are different from yours.
  • theatremama
    theatremama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said I can do everything she needs me to do with the free version. I did the free trial of Premium but cancelled because all the additional information really just muddied the water for me. She wants me to stay focused on the big 3 macros and my calories which I can do with the free version.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Premium is promoted much more heavily in the app. I started with desktop. I do use both now, but am very good at ignoring all the Premium features, which I don't miss in the least.
  • Skylightsauc
    Skylightsauc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm using only the free app version. It seems to do everything I need. I just want a mindful way to track my calories. I did WW years ago before they were online and lost 50 pounds. Now I'm starting over. I also use the Samsung food app for recipes. So if you find saving recipes is helpful you might try it or a similar app.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,509 Member
    Options
    I never used the premium version and have been doing fine. None of the extra functions are worth it for me or add anything.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I lost 80ish pounds with the Free version. I think it really depends on just how much you feel you need to micro-manage this. For me, it was about calories and macros and the Community. That's on the Free version.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,722 Member
    Options
    Unless you have special needs that for sure are only in premium, why not start with the free version to get the basics down, then look at the features of premium to see whether you'd benefit from them or not?

I suspect that most people getting started would initially be using the features that are common between free and premium, and learning how to use them best. (The exception might be the bar code scanner, but that's a thing I don't like and never use anyway.) Many of the premium features let you do more . . . nuanced? detailed? . . . things.

If you're a person who takes things more seriously if they cost money, that's a subjective consideration, of course.

I used the free version to lose 50-some pounds, and in the early year or so of maintenance. Eventually, I got premium, and find some of the features convenient and useful, but if they weren't there I could live without them still.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I'm happy with the free version. It tracks my weight loss, carbs, protein, fat, and calories. I can access the forum. I use the PC version more than the app. I just find the phone app annoying. But I find most phone apps annoying.

Log into your account on a PC/MAC and see if it feels different. In reports, you can flip between weight, sodium, carbs, protein, fat, and certain vitamins. I find the computer is just easier when I'm looking at data.

I think Premium makes sense if you need the extra info or follow a specific needs diet.

Premium, for me, is extra I don't need.

I say try the free for a few weeks/months. If you still feel like you need Premium, then go for it.

TL
  • kcd394
    kcd394 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed using the free version for years and don't need the extras. I do miss the barcode scanner for some things (it used to be free) but as long as they don't remove access to forums I don't see a need to do premium. Have gone from 205 to 164 with free app. My chiropractor actually suggested using it more than a decade ago to help me keep track of carbs etc. MFP seems to have a really good database of foods for logging, and hey the free version is, well, free! So try it for a while and see if it works for you.
  • gsheehi28
    gsheehi28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for these comments, you have helped a ton!!