Pasta Sauce! Need some feedback please :)

Options
Hey MFP.. I want to start eating more veggies. So I decided to try & make a delicious organic whole wheat pasta with sautéed veggies. Now, my question is.. Does anyone know of any healthy, delicious, low sodium MARINARA SAUCES? I'm not the best cook but getting there lol :) so I figured I'd ask MFP for any grocery/store brought healthy-delicious-low sodium marinara sauces that I could add with my pasta.

I've been craving a delicious tomato-garlic-basil kind but ANY opinions / feed back is appreciated! Thanks :)

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Ragu Light sugar free tomato and basil, its pretty good. You can add some crushed garlic to it if you so please
  • dlsfarris
    dlsfarris Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I prefer Classico® Sauces Tomato and Basil

Nutrition Facts:

Serving Size 125g

Amount Per Serving

Calories 50g
    Calories from Fat 10g

% Daily Value *
    Total Fat 1g 2%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Sodium 380mg 16%
    Total Carbohydrates 9g
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Sugars 5g
    Protein 2g

Vitamin A 12%
    Vitamin C 4%
    Calcium 4%
    Iron 6%

* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients:

Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Diced Tomatoes (Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride), Salt, Basil, Garlic, Olive Oil, Onions, Dehydrated Garlic, Spice.
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    amy's kitchen, light in sodium version (290mg per 1/2 cup ... ragu is 470mg, as a comparison).

go for homemade, though, you'll be able to avoid ingredients like hfcs and control sodium much better. it's not difficult to make!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Marinara sauce is so easy to make. Google recipes.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Don't think I'll be much help, but maybe I'll find a healthier sauce I like in this thread. :)
    I always have prego traditional which isn't the best for you but I guess not the WORST either.

Amount Per Serving (serving size) = 1/2 cup (120 mL)

Calories 70
    Fat Calories 15
    Total Fat 1.5g
    Sat. Fat 0g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 480mg
    Total Carb. 13g
    Dietary Fiber 3g
    Sugars 10g
    Protein 2g
  • FindingFit50s
    Options

Reading labels in the store works, too. Just sayin.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    Ragu Light sugar free tomato and basil, its pretty good. You can add some crushed garlic to it if you so please

yep..thats what i use..50 cals per 1/2 cup, no fat, and 360 sodium...it tastes totally normal, maybe even better than regular sauce
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Make your own! It is pretty easy. You can typically by crushed tomatoes with basil, I use Muir Glen. Sautee about 1/2 an onion in a little bit of olive oil (or veggie broth) over medium low heat. Once the onion is soft, add some finely chopped garlic (2-4 cloves), and sautee for another 2 minutes (it will smell really good). Top with the crushed tomatoes and stir. You can add some dried oregano or italian seasoning. Simmer for around 30 minutes over low heat with a lid (it will be bubbling slightly). Taste for salt and pepper. You can add a bit of balsamic vinegar (about 1-2 tablespoons) to round out the flavor. It will be very tasty and easy to freeze. You can also make it spicier with crushed red pepper flakes. (around 1/4 a teaspoon. Add the red pepper flakes with the onions.) That's it. Try it out. Worst case, you waste an onion and a can of tomatoes. :P

This sauce is also a great base for lasagna or beef stew. (To use it with beef stew, add more water, simmer lean beef stew chunks. When the meat is tender add chopped carrots and potatoes. Once those are soft add green beans and peas and cook for 5 minutes. Done.) Or to make something Moroccan, skip the italian seasoning, and add cinnamon and cumin. You can add chickpeas, eggplant, squash, and bell peppers and serve it over couscous mixed with currants and parsley (add chicken or lamb too if you want meat).
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sautee garlic and onions in olive oil til they are translucent. Add a can or 2 or crushed organic tomatoes and 1 or 2 bay leaves. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 30 min. Add fresh herbs like basil or parsley at the very end. YUMMM.
  • emtgirl14
    emtgirl14 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Organic Low Fat Reduced Sodium Marinara Sauce

50 calories for 1/2 cup - 25 mg of sodium per serving

It's really good! I couldn't tell much of a difference from regular sauce!
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I make my own based on Jamie Olivers basic recipe (see the link below)

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/the-quickest-tomato-sauce

I usually make a portion of 2-4 times his recipe and then freeze it in 0.5-1 liter portions for ease of use (season it a little extra when heating for use).

It's also great to turn into tomato soup - just add some cream to it when heating.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I like Colavita personally. I don't have the bottle in front of me to give you all the facts, but the reason that I buy it is because it is FAT and SUGAR FREE. It is truly just tomato sauce with spices...no added salt, sugar, oils, or anything else that most cans and jars of sauce have.

I spent a lot of time reading all the labels available in my store, so that's probably what you may find yourself doing if you don't make your own sauce.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options

This is good advice. I bet Google has the answer to all of your questions.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Tomato Sauce

So here is a tomato sauce that works great for a pizza sauce, but equally well for a pasta sauce, or even as a soup base! Nutritional info is given for pizza sauce, but for a pasta it would serve 4 people. Works to freeze easily. The whole thing as 1 serving is only 100 calories.

Tomato Sauce
    Serves: 16 (as a pizza sauce)

400 g tinned tomatoes (1 tin)
    200 ml water
    2 cloves garlic
    2 g thyme
    2 g oregano
    1 pinch salt
    1 cube vegetable stock
    1 tablet of sweetener

Put everything except the stock cube into a blender.
    Boil the sauce and add the stock cube. Continue to boil until the sauce is the desired thickness.
    6 calories per serving, 0.1g F, 0g SF, 1.4g C, 0.7g S, 0.4g Fb, 0.3g P
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I always thought I wasnt able to eat spaghetti sauce because I thought it was really high in calories but I came across Hunt's brand garlic and herb sauce (in a can) and its only 40 calories for a 1/2 cup!! I add more seasoning to it because I like a lot of flavor but I love that I can eat pasta sauce again for hardly any calories!