More protein than carbs

Options
I seem to be eating more protein than carbs....I always have room for more carbs and lately going over my allowed protein, will this hinder my weight loss?

Replies

• alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't inhibit your weight loss and if anything might help you maintain more muscle mass as you lose weight. I'm guessing that you are probably using the MFP default settings for carbs and proteins. IMHO they're low on proteins and a bit high on carbs anyway. I have mine set to 35% of both proteins and carbs and 30% fats. That brings it all much more in line.

Some general guidelines you'll see say you should eat 1g of protein for each pound of body weight. The research I've read suggests that the ideal intake is 1.4g of protein per kg of body weight. Carbs I've seen most suggest keeping them below 200g in general. Of course all this shifts as you take in more calories due to activity and exercise.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I do have it set on default settings...I had no idea where to begin but I am learning so much on this site!
  • CyrusMachin
    CyrusMachin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There's really no right or wrong way to divide your macronutrients. What works for one person might not work for someone else. That being said, when my goal was to lower my bodyfat, I cycled my carbs. I went three days low carb (below 100gms) followed by one day of high carbs (400gms). My protein intake remained the same (1gm per pound of bodyweight). How many calories are you consuming per day?
  • czechsmate
    Options
    I seem to be staying between 1200 and 1300, I walk two miles everyday and it takes me a little less than 30 mins. I will be starting some weight training as well...hopefully tonight if I can keep my motivation up ;-0
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating at a deficit under your TDEE while getting your minimum protein and fat macronutrient requirements based on your goals, you're fine.

Also datransitcop has it right...try cycling your carbs. I cycle them too.
  • armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you are starting out with weight training, beginners can use .5 per pound of body weight for protein. If you are trying to build muscles, you have to have a small surplus of calories to build muscles.

The macronutrients aren't very important in terms of going a little over or under. However, they become more important if you have a special diet that calls for more protein, less carbs, less fat, etc.

The true way to lose weight is lose 3500 calories whether by diet and/or exercise. 3500 calories = 1 lb fat lost. It's that simple. No special magic to it.

Good luck!

Edit: Joe beat me to saying the same thing. Not sure about carb cycling though.
  • CyrusMachin
    Options
    As long as you are eating at a deficit under your TDEE while getting your minimum protein and fat macronutrient requirements based on your goals, you're fine.

Also datransitcop has it right...try cycling your carbs. I cycle them too.

Couldn't of said it better.
    Hey Czechsmate...that's a pretty brisk walk your taking. I know some guys that can't RUN 2 miles that fast.
  • czechsmate
    Options
    Yes sir it is! I walk a bridge thats a mile long (and back again) with an incline so its a pretty good workout.....I know I should probably get more time in each day but I am looking at the long haul and what I know I will stick to.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What's the purpose of carb cycling?
  • CyrusMachin
    Options
    What's the purpose of carb cycling?

Assuming you're exercising, you will eventually burn through all or most of your carbs after going through a few days of low carbs (your body's preferred energy source). Once your body burns through all of your carbs in your system, it turns to fat for energy. When you eat low carb for an extended period of time, your body seems to want to hold on to the fat it has in store. Some people call it "starvation mode". Since the body thinks it's starving, it holds on to as much fat as possible to survive and instead starts tapping into your muscle for it's nutrients. One way to get the body out of starvation mode is to have a "refeed day" or simply put a high carb day (not to be confused with a cheat day). This sends a signal to your body that you're not starving and that it's ok to release stored fat for energy. Your refeed day or high carb day should consists of high carb low fat foods like cereal and breads.

As a side note...this method of dieting works for me but it's in no way a one size fits all type of diet. You just gotta try and see if it works for you. Hope this helps.
  • armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Fish oil may also help with deciding which item to burn. It protects muscle and tells the body to burn fat.