Painful joints

Options
I have serious joint issues...pain, swelling, pinched nerves...My bones and joints are a mess. It's why I quit before. I exercised so much I couldn't really move any more. And of course I fell back into bad habits. Now I'm fat again and extremely upset about it. I need suggestions....what kind of exercises can I actually do without hurting my joints???

Replies

• 01elizabeth59
    Options
    water aerobics.
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    everything hurts my joints but a friend tonight told me about shots you can get that are good for 3 months i think i may ask about that everything hurts me..
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have joint pain because of a medication that I take, but it sounds like yours is really bad!!! Could you do some swimming or maybe use an elliptical machine? Those have no hard impact on the joints.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Swimming, bicycling, Adaptive Motion Trainer, some types of strength training.

I have achy joints as well. I take omega-3 and glucosamine supplements every day, and it helps immensely.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I have serious joint issues...pain, swelling, pinched nerves...My bones and joints are a mess. It's why I quit before. I exercised so much I couldn't really move any more. And of course I fell back into bad habits. Now I'm fat again and extremely upset about it. I need suggestions....what kind of exercises can I actually do without hurting my joints???

That sucks. You should probably go see a Physical Therapist, there's ways to fix that. Pain killers numb the pain but they don't fix the source problem. When you did exercise, how good was your form? Lift excessively heavy weight? Bad form mixed with excessive weight is not good for the body. If you do that and get back to a point where you're exercising again, try and find a good trainer. Not just Joe Shmoe at the local gym that paid $200 for a training certificate but somebody that really knows their stuff. A good physical therapist might be able to give you direction. Good luck!
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Swimming & biking.
    Take an aleve at the beginning of the day if you can.
    Shower with warm water to get your joints feeling better.
    Do whatever works best for you by modifying modifying modifying. If you do a workout video and can't do some of the moves, modify the moves but be sure to keep moving.
    I know your pain, and you can do this. Don't give up before trying tho. :)
    Good luck to you!
  • swbernstel
    swbernstel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have bad rotator cuffs and a bone deformity in my hip sockets so I know what you're talking about when it comes to those kind of pains. Every morning, I take 2 aleve (naproxen sodium from wally world is the same thing and is actually what I take), Glucosamine Chondroiton, and MSM. They help out greatly. Also, I don't know if you try to cut a lot of salt out of your diet, but salt is a good thing to a certain extent. Salt is actually what helps hold water in the joints. You usually get enough salt from your regular processed foods.

When it comes to cardio exercises, I agree with the elliptical. It's a great way to get started and definitely low impact. If you want to do some cycling, I would recommend the one where you actually have a seat with a back and not just the bicycle seat. The bicycle seat will put extra pressure on the hip joints (and in my opinion, is just un-friggin-comfortable). Walking and swimming are also very good.

Another problem I had for a long time is that I did not know that my left leg was shorter than my right, which caused my hips to be offset. Once I got a lift insert for my left shoe, a lot of pain was alleviated almost immediately. Also, if you are flat footed, or have a really high arch, or anything like that, make sure you are wearing the right insoles. I am very flat footed and I didn't know that when I was walking, my feet were pronating (turning inward, not the same as pigeon toed). This caused my knees to be pushed together and put extra stress on my hips.

I know this is a lot of info, but I do hope you take the time to read it. Don't hesitate to friend me and I will try to answer other questions or give you tips to the best of my ability.
  • Nelekiye
    Nelekiye Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes, consult a trainer or your Dr. Try for someone who knows low impact exercises.
    Watch your form
    Lower the weight and slowly build up the reps. Listen to your body and slowly build up.
    Be sure and drink plenty of water. Water will lubricate the joints.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Not to be a jerk, if he truly has pinched nerves, swelling, joint pain he should probably stop exercise until he see an Orthopedist and / or a licensed Physical Therapist. The pinched nerves are especially no joke and will not go away with pain killers or low impact exercises.

/end of thread
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    Those shots you were referring to...do you have to get them in every joint or does one shot work for all joints?
  • VCStarr
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm allergic to painkillers and anti-inflammatory meds so the only way to treat the pain is ice and sleep :( I was walking on my treadmill at a fast speed as well as using my resistance bands. I was also using a plastic step. But that was before. I can't do those any more
  • VCStarr
    Options
    My pinched nerves are in my shoulders and wrapped the wrong way around my deformed collar bone. If I get surgery (which is the only repair for it) I risk losing all feeling in the entire arm. So I cannot overuse my arms or lift more than 2 pounds. :( I think I will start with stretching and walking in place for now and go from there. Thank you for all the responses! You guys are wonderful
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Try the daily supplement Celadrin. It is for joint health and you can find it on Amazon.

My husband and I take this every day.
  • VegasJellyFish
    VegasJellyFish Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is the water stuff. Mom was told to do those since you know how bad her back and joints are. :smile:
  • AnnF99
    AnnF99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You need adequate recovery! I didn't know about it, overtrained and got a shoulder injury. It took me 2 weeks to recover (I used Steplex cream, it helped me a lot). I don't make such mistakes in training anymore.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,758 Member
    Options
    It's a thread from 2011. Hardly any of these people, maybe none, are here anymore. Avoiding overtraining and injury is always good advice, though. :)