SUGAR !! How do I break up?!😂

Options
mamaspice12
mamaspice12 Posts: 1 Member
edited October 2023 in Food and Nutrition
Can anyone give me a tasty alternative to my 2pm sugar cravings. That always leave me temporarily satisfied and then regretful. My office has Halloween candy in the frickin lobby !!!

Replies

• wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I will chew a piece of sugar free gum when I get that midafternoon. I know it’s lame but takes time and usually the craving is gone by then.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Why is it regretful? Sugar isn't a bad thing unless you're a diabetic or insulin resistant. The issue with sugar is people just overconsume it. There's nothing wrong with eating some sugar. I use Jolly Ranchers through out the day to just satisfy if I need a little sugar.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,518 Member
    Options
    Why the time of 2pm? Is you last meal too long ago or not nutritious enough? If so then why not eat another small meal. Maybe something as simple as a few cherry tomatoes, cucumber and bell pepper. If it's boredom then find something you can do instead.
  • jsbadger217
    jsbadger217 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    lidl marshmallows, sprinkled with cinnamon. they are very sweet and 51kcal per 15g, you can stretch them out to last quite a while
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I second chewing gum. And / or brushing teeth lol
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I just choose to not put it in my mouth. It's as easy as that... lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,743 Member
    Options
    More protein and/or fats at breakfast and lunch? More volume (like veggies) at lunch? Caffeine? Better sleep quality/quantity? Brief brisk walk to get the blood moving?

Mid-afternoon slump can be fatigue or a blood sugar drop. Try things, notice patterns.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,672 Member
    Options
    I just choose to not put it in my mouth. It's as easy as that... lol

I mean, if people found that easy, nobody would be fat unless they specifically wanted to be.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I second the fruit idea. Keep an apple or orange on your desk? If my co workers bring in snacks that make me regretful.. I usually have some tea instead. I like ginger tea, etc.

• judefit1
    judefit1 Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My issue is after dinner sugar craving. I work out every day (different times of day) and have no problem with sugar intake during the day. After I eat dinner I crave sugar. I've tried later classes at the gym, tried tea or fruit, tried changing my evening behaviors and it's still a problem. Is there any truth to the idea of "sugar addiction"?
  • AnnF99
    AnnF99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Switching to fruits helped me, but with the exception of grapes, there is too much glucose
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,743 Member
    Options
    judefit1 wrote: »
    My issue is after dinner sugar craving. I work out every day (different times of day) and have no problem with sugar intake during the day. After I eat dinner I crave sugar. I've tried later classes at the gym, tried tea or fruit, tried changing my evening behaviors and it's still a problem. Is there any truth to the idea of "sugar addiction"?

Keep in mind two things:

1. Fatigue increases as the day goes on, and last night's sleep gets distant. When fatigue increases, the body is likely to seek energy, and sugar is quick energy. Voila, sugar cravings! If you can get better sleep, reduce stress, avoid over-exercise, or something like that, it may help.

2. Habit is powerful. If you have a habit of snacking on sweets in the evening, it will take some time for that to wither away. Usually, it's easiest to quit an undesired habit by replacing it with a new and beneficial habit, rather than trying to quit cold turkey.

I'd add two observations that were true for me, and I think for some other people, but for sure not for everyone:

1. Making it a point to eat plenty of fruit - at least 3 servings daily for a while - reduced my cravings for more calorie dense, less nutritious sweets like candy or baked goods. (That took a few weeks of discipline to start, too.)

2. I found that experimenting with my eating - both the timing and what I ate - helped manage cravings. In particular, for me personally, it was important to get a solid breakfast with plenty of protein, then protein through the day, plus volume (mostly veggies) in at least one meal. Other people's personal best formulas will be different, so it does take some experimenting.