MFP daily calorie intake too low?

Options
I've filled in all the details in MFP and it says my daily goal is 1890 calories. I've compared this to other sites and it looks like its way too low. I've checked out a few other sites and they recommend around 2500 calories?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Replies

• twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    need some more info...male/female...age...what are you looking at losing a week??
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    MFP takes into consideration a calorie deficit to allow you to lose. Other sites may not do this. It also looks at your daily average daily activity levels.
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    MFP takes into consideration a calorie deficit to allow you to lose. Other sites may not do this. It also looks at your daily average daily activity levels.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Have you accurately entered your daily activity level (ie, sedentary, lightly active etc) and set a realistic goal for weight loss each week? If you don't have a lot to lose then 2 pounds a week is probably too much to aim for.

The other factor to consider is that MFP assumes you will add in your exercise calories AND eat them each day. Most other caluculators I've seen ask you up front how much you will exercise and include them in your daily allowance. MFP does it differently.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Other sites do not give you a deficit for weight loss like MFP does.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I've filled in all the details in MFP and it says my daily goal is 1890 calories. I've compared this to other sites and it looks like its way too low. I've checked out a few other sites and they recommend around 2500 calories?

Has anyone else noticed this?

2500 would sound like a calorie level to maintain current weight.

1890 would be a calorie level to lose weight.
  • mrdavidjk
    Options
    according to a nutritionist my daily calorie intake to maintain my weight at my age is 1352 plus any exercise, because i lead a VERY sedentary lifestyle (with the odd bursts of activity).
    If i weighed an extra 100lbs i would need an extra 750 calories a day to maintain that weight

many things alter your daily calorie requirements weight, age and height being the main factors.
    1890 is still a lot of calories in terms of what your body needs.

the problem these days is that most portion sizes are way to big, and we are used to them, and when you cut down to a normal sized portion it seems like we are being short changed.

give mfp a try, it worked for me and all i did was follow it.
  • gregmcc
    gregmcc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info - I've been using mfp for a while now and am losing weight so it does seem to be working. I just though I might be eating way too little comparing the calorie intake on other sites. (From reading the below I'd forgotten about the extra calories that mfp adds in when you exercise)

I'm 41, male, 6'3, 96kg's - looking to get down to 90kgs within 3 or 4 months. Very active - 4-5 sessions a week. (gym/cycling)