First day!

Options
Hi! It’s my first day. What do you wish you’d known?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,568 Member
    Options
    That I was not eating about 1400 calories each day and still gaining weight. Yeah, I gained the weight because I didn't eat an awful lot of food. But I ate a ton of snacks next to it. :D
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    That it is perfectly normal for you weight to go down down down up up up down up down down up.

It's the line said most often in these forums, but it is so true. Weight loss is no linear. Just because you gained a kilo doesn't mean "it's stopped working". Just keep going. Keep doing it and it will come back down.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The value of patience. I'm still learning it and reminding myself! If I'm prepared to be patient with losing weight, I'm less likely to make silly changes to my diet, exercise or lifestyle that just end up being unsustainable.
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    In the end for the loss to stick lifestyle changes are required. Making them all at once is a bad idea, small, consistent changes make a huge difference over time.

Set realistic goals! We're not all on "The Biggest Loser" and seeing double digit losses each week is not realistic. Most people doing it the "right" way will see 1-3lbs/wk. THIS IS NORMAL and what you SHOULD shoot for.

Don't eat back exercise calories unless you are just that hungry. (Calories eaten are typically undershot, and exercise is overshot so you could sabotage yourself quickly eating back all the calories) I have exercise calories turned off so they don't get auto added onto my daily goal.

Keep at it. Log accurately (we all have off days) Plan ahead if you know you've got an event or something you may overindulge in. (Holiday Dinners)

Portion Control and food choices: I find cutting out whole food groups/types is just a recipe for disaster as you will overeat them when you do finally break down. Focus instead on eating correct portions of those foods, or half portions (will be rough at first because lets be honest, serving sizes seem to be made for 4yr olds)

These are some of the things I've learned over the past decade or so struggling with my weight loss. Current iteration is going great, and I don't feel like its a chore or I'm missing out on anything. Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me as a friend.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try to pre- log all of your meals for the day in the morning when possible. That way if you are going over calories can adjust before it actually goes in your mouth! When eating out try to review the menu ahead of time so you can make a good choice rather than sitting at the table when everyone is ordering .
  • Ian_mc84
    Ian_mc84 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Pre-plan meals and then review nutrition to see where deficits are, the importance of water (even no sugar flavoured water)
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,163 Member
    Options
    That losing weight works better when you treat it more like washing the dishes than like redecorating the living room, more like getting the mail than like shopping for a prom dress. It's not a quick one and done, with beautiful results you'll celebrate wildly and then forget. It's more a lifetime chore, doesn't have to be hard, but lasts the rest of your life. It can be a very small part of your time and attention, but forget it and you'll suffer the consequences. The rewards are great, and continue the rest of your life. But the excitement you feel when you meet someone you haven't seen in a while, and they say "wow, look at you" only lasts a moment.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,568 Member
    Options
    Another one: that exercise doesn't burn a ton of calories. I ran 4km today, and I got a tiny glass of milk out of it and three small chocolate easter eggs. It really was yummy, but it's not a lot.
  • HeshamEmara
    HeshamEmara Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That deciplen is the most important key for success.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    To look at the big picture. Time is going to pass, and pass quickly.

Would I rather “fall off the wagon” once, twice, even a dozen times and in six months have still reached some degree of success (whether it was some arbitrary goal or not) versus quitting in a week or two because I couldn’t do it, and whining about lack of results?

Time moves. It took me 55+ years to realize, so should I.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hi! It’s my first day. What do you wish you’d known?

I'm not sure there's anything in particular that I wished I'd known. I enjoy learning and the process of learning, which includes hiccups and mistakes...those can actually be some of the most enlightening and impactful occurrences in the process. Basically fail forward fast.

It's kind of like when I started wooden model ship building...when I was having a hard time just getting started on my first boat, an old timer to the hobby told me not to worry about making mistakes or worry about building the perfect boat..."just start building the boat...you're going to *kitten* up, learn from it and move on." My first boat is quite the piece of work (not in a good way) and I keep it on a pedestal in my room (not my wife's favorite piece of art) as a reminder of how to tackle my day to day and life in general.